Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

McLaren Vale is mentioned in the press release by the AFL for extending Gather Round.

Willunga Oval probably more suitable, its only 5 mins up the road. I haven't been there for years but the clubrooms of the footy and cricket clubs would have to be 10x better then McLaren Vales.

Plus there is a school right next door that you might be able to utilise their toilets/facilities, with the bonus of a couple of pubs just across the road.
Perhaps it's time for those of us with the Google Earth / Photoshop skills who mapped out the Thebarton precinct, to start working on Tanunda / McLaren Vale / Willunga :)

We have every Mayor and Politician putting their hand up for a game in their area.

Would the TV networks have a limit as to how many grounds they are prepared to set up for? I think they might try to limit it to three grounds each year.

My guess is they will go Barossa for 2024 and McLaren Vale or somewhere South in 2025.

Mali floating Barossa, McLaren and possibly beyond as regional options.

The Spencer Gulf League wants Pirie to host one, but the issue there isn't just distance, it's the fact that it's Pirie. You want to host it in a place that has amenities and incentive for people to visit which Pirie doesn't have. Lincoln does, but it's way too far.

The Riverland COULD be an option, but how far should they really go out? Too far from Adelaide kind of defeats the purpose of a "gather" round. Clare is a lovely spot and not too far from Adelaide (not much further than Victor is from Adelaide), and could tie in with their gourmet weekend although accommodation might be a slight issue.

Maybe stick within 100kms of the CBD, and save more regional centres for the Crows SANFL team to play against clubs who have their country zones based there.

We have every Mayor and Politician putting their hand up for a game in their area.

Would the TV networks have a limit as to how many grounds they are prepared to set up for? I think they might try to limit it to three grounds each year.

My guess is they will go Barossa for 2024 and McLaren Vale or somewhere South in 2025.

i did hear a couple weeks ago they are limited to 3 venues due to not enough equipment

Even at the Norwood Sturt game the week before there were people complaining about toilet facilities. They had closed the Von Einem Memorial Dunny on the eastern wing (should’ve been closed and replaced 20 years ago TBH) so no idea where people had to go. Seems like some very simple planning went missing.
There’s new toilets across the new facility, only once was there a line up

I think it’s time for……Gather Rounds!!!!

You’re already sending everyone here, why not back to back rounds? Sure you’ll need to extend the season by a week but that’s not a bad thing.

You’d be able to play at more ovals and we get 2 extra home games, win win!!

What about WA clubs wanting an extra home game in exchange for Gather Round? Would we be open to playing there and splitting that gate?

I can see their point. They travel far enougj as it is. Can see NM and GWS getting screwed with an extra game there ha.
The AFL scheduled Freo here the week before and West Coast the week after

If the club decides to fly back, that's on them. AFL got them involved WITHOUT extra travel being needed.

If they flew back in between, that's on them.

You’re already sending everyone here, why not back to back rounds? Sure you’ll need to extend the season by a week but that’s not a bad thing.

AFL could easily accommodate this by removing the preseason games round.

There is already a a trial game round before the preseason round. Thats plenty.

The unexpected and not knowing what may or may not happen adds to the excitement of Round 1.

I've seen the suggestion we play a gather round showdown or play a home game outside of Adelaide later in the year to make it fair. Just won't happen, wouldn't that mean we have to sell 10 game memberships instead of 11, just won't happen.

I don't think the Gather Round was ever about blockbuster games anyway the way it was fixtured, you're just going to luck into some based on clubs moving up and down the ladder.
The Gather round should be all about the games that are the opposite of “blockbuster” type games…

Why use up your blockbuster games on a round like the Gather round which is probably going to sell tickets out regardless of whether the games are recognised blockbusters or not..

It’d be like putting all your eggs in one basket..

The Gather round should be all about the games that are the opposite of “blockbuster” type games…

Why use up your blockbuster games on a round like the Gather round which is probably going to sell tickets out regardless of whether the games are recognised blockbusters or not..

It’d be like putting all your eggs in one basket..
You can't gauruntee blockbuster games to be double ups.

Could add to the event if you had say a Richmond vs Collingwood game. (With the return bout in 3 months time)

I think they could schedule LIV the week before Gather round which would finish up on the Sunday evening. Then they could schedule a Wednesday or Thursday night night game so that those that came over for LIV extend their stay onto gather round. It depends when the Masters finished as they usually want a week's break after the Masters before the Adel LIV event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they could schedule LIV the week before Gather round which would finish up on the Sunday evening. Then they could schedule a Wednesday or Thursday night night game so that those that came over for LIV extend their stay onto gather round.

What we really need to do is get the Saudi royalty and sheiks here, spending up big. Altho they may leaving having bought the state.

Did you read my post from the other day asking why we couldn’t do multiple?

I think they could schedule LIV the week before Gather round which would finish up on the Sunday evening. Then they could schedule a Wednesday or Thursday night night game so that those that came over for LIV extend their stay onto gather round. It depends when the Masters finished as they usually want a week's break after the Masters before the Adel LIV event.
If hotels keep charging the inflated prices that they are charging, no one’s staying for an extended stay

If hotels keep charging the inflated prices that they are charging, no one’s staying for an extended stay

There is a big risk that it becomes to expensive to stay when it's on.

I doubt a Wednesday night could work with the fixture but I think it is better to keep the schedule tight for the weekend. That's why the early Friday game works. I know the idea is for people to see the sights but really it's about football.

Interesting to hear danger say it’s the best round of footy he’s been involved with in his career.
I wonder home many players from different clubs caught up?
Papley and Will Hayward did an interview on Saturday morning on MMM and were up at a winery in the Hills, they were having a great time! Probably the best 2 weeks of sport this state has ever had, Gather Round into LIV.

There is a big risk that it becomes to expensive to stay when it's on.

I doubt a Wednesday night could work with the fixture but I think it is better to keep the schedule tight for the weekend. That's why the early Friday game works. I know the idea is for people to see the sights but really it's about football.

If they want to see the sights .. it's a 9 hour drive from Melbourne. Yes, football should kind of be the #1 priority.

C7 news showing the financial windfall that Gather Round has brought to the city. I am getting excited how good next year will be with 12 months to plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back