Review Dees v Westhorsham Port - the Good, Bad and Teal

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from being fizzing at certain players and the coach it’s actually hard to know what to make of that game.

We should have been 8-10 goals in the hole at halftime but Port stuffed a lot of their chances and considering the immense pressure they were under, our backs held up pretty well.

The third quarter was great but it felt more like it was Petracca and Oliver pulling on their Superman capes than any full on team uprising to break Port.

Apart from the obvious poor use with the ball, the amount of times we fumble, double grab it and run past it is frustrating. Yes, the rain was torrential tonight but we were the same for big patches against the Hawks last week.

ANB is the softest pos when the heat is on. I hate watching him.

Finally, umpires. They were a didisgrace.
Whist I'm not pro player bashing
I can't understand how easily Christian Salem folds like a folding chair. Putting it nicely

Once again if a side runs in waves the zone can’t hold up and we don’t have the leg speed through the middle to stop it.

Ooh, little titbit. Despite comprehensively beating us at ground level, Port also took 70 marks to our 41. They also laid 18 inside 50 tackles to our 6, despite us playing four small forwards.

For everyone wondering what the hell Tom Sparrow does every game, I think we got a good idea tonight. He’s our only genuinely defensive midfielder. No way Butters has that game with T in the side.

Whist I'm not pro player bashing
I can't understand how easily Christian Salem folds like a folding chair. Putting it nicely
I don't enjoy potting players either. They're out there playing footy at the highest level, I'm watching from the sidelines. But, sheesh, it's frustrating to watch though when you see weak halfhearted efforts or players just spectate.

First half was frustrating as ****:
Wouldn't man up.
Couldn't win a centre break.
Fumbly
Heavy handball

Whole game:

Long hoof kickouts.
Kick directly to flat footed players (Port kicked to the space for players to run onto to mark).
Slow movement.

Goody conceding Trac should have been in the midfield more in the first half in his presser, yet he still started him in F50 in the second half.

Excellent coach. Lots of learnings.

Note to self on Goody's hand like Homer does for Lenny and Karl moving forward:

Trac = midfielder
Brayshaw= backman

artworks-000162749951-3ptdeo-t500x500.jpg

That was the worst game Gus has played in a while. Shouldn't be anywhere near the midfield. Looked embarrassingly slow. Had a couple of absolutely awful kicks as per usual too.

Viney totally regressed tonight after a few good weeks. Have away stupid frees and was always chasing the man, rarely first to it.

Salem himself was actually OK considering it was his first game back. Unfortunately his inclusion ****ed with our setup. If we're going to persist with Salem back, then Rivers has to spend most of the time in the midfield so Gus can go back as well.

Rain neutralized any theoretical advantage we had on paper in the air and they were cleaner at ground level all game.

Looking at the running numbers we reverted back to bad habits: not running hard enough in defence. Port out ran us in defence and were able to spread harder from contest. We deserved to lose by a lot more.

That was the worst game Gus has played in a while. Shouldn't be anywhere near the midfield. Looked embarrassingly slow. Had a couple of absolutely awful kicks as per usual too.

Viney totally regressed tonight after a few good weeks. Have away stupid frees and was always chasing the man, rarely first to it.

Salem himself was actually OK considering it was his first game back. Unfortunately his inclusion ****ed with our setup. If we're going to persist with Salem back, then Rivers has to spend most of the time in the midfield so Gus can go back as well.

I like to imagine a world where there is no TMac in the side and Salem plays forward. Just a crazy dream I know.

Goody conceding Trac should have been in the midfield more in the first half in his presser, yet he still started him in F50 in the second half.

Excellent coach. Lots of learnings.

Note to self on Goody's hand like Homer does for Lenny and Karl moving forward:

Trac = midfielder
Brayshaw= backman

artworks-000162749951-3ptdeo-t500x500.jpg
Goody is becoming adept at admitting errors and then doing nothing to fix them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goody is becoming adept at admitting errors and then doing nothing to fix them

Sticks with the plan pre game far too long when the shit is hitting the fan. Has done it since he started.

Brayshaw had such a great quarter in the last. What was your favourite moment? Was it the high kick that so advantaged Drew in the corridor that he had time to slip over, recover and chest mark it uncontested? Perhaps it was the handball receive that he got from McVee, where instead of opting for the 1-2 to release McVee with a switch he pumped a loopy 30 metre backwards handball to an under the pump Jake Lever at the top of the goal square? Or maybe it was the the supreme judgement of a high ball where he got in a position to neither mark nor collect on the bounce, instead the ball gracefully and gently kissed the top of his helmet while his stupid spuddy arms flapped haplessly at another pill he’d let out the back?

All that was missing was a left foot dump kick out on the full but regardless there were SO MANY WONDERFUL CHOICES!

the umpiring was farcial. For both sides

*que Lycett hanging on every ruck contest never getting called
*The double 50m at the end miraculously not paid.
im sure there were other obvious ones missed but ffs, couldnt be that hard to pick the ones out when there are 4 of them!
*BT supporting every other team that isnt us every time he calls us

Of course we also played rather lethargic, non intense for most the game (save for the 3rd quarter!)
BUT HONESTLY, Kozzie looked mostly invincible. of all nights, this wasn't the one.
That was like a slow horrible car crash.
thank **** thats over.

Good- PIG. was solid. especially last 5 minutes contest v SPP

Interesting tidbit from Ollie Wines in an interview. Apparently they focused Drew's defensive efforts on Viney moreso than the others. Wouldn't have thought I'd ever see that, but hey, it probably worked for them as Viney was shocking

Re: Brayshaw, he got a massive wake up call tonight about the calibre of footy required to play in the guts.

How long is TMac contracted for? The conditions didn't suit him tonight but either way he's too limited.

Re: Brayshaw, he got a massive wake up call tonight about the calibre of footy required to play in the guts.

How long is TMac contracted for? The conditions didn't suit him tonight but either way he's too limited.
This selection was also stupid, particularly given the weather. But, I guess we needed another tall to help us with our cOnTeSt AnD cOnNeCtIoN.

If May kicks to a flat footed Gawn again I'm going to scream

Our kick out plan: the last thing the opposition expect us to do is the same thing we've done the 75 games before it. - Field Marshal Goody

Hilarious how even when a goal down with 2 or 3 mins left we didnt have a different play, just the usual dump kick to the same spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back