List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
For a Club that has historically been renowned for having its fingers on the pulse and never missing a beat, there have been some disturbing signs of a serious case of the “wobbles” of late in the front office.

Now at the risk of being accused of deliberately insighting a riot, if I correctly recall, wasn’t there some murmurings that we messed up the NGA paper work with Erasmus’s parents too.
Wasn’t he born in South Africa, or that one or both of his parents are Saffers.

Please those in the know posters - correct me if I am wrong on this one but I vaguely remember early in the year, hearing that we may have not previously handled things as promptly or as efficiently as we should have with the Paper Work for Erasmus ????

Hope I am wrong on this as that would be a serious heck up.

While I do appreciate that the Clubs admin has been a victim of the soft cap roll back, the messing up of not signing NGA prospects in a timely manner to meet lodgement deadlines, is not a good look for the Club.

As I said, I hope I have my wires crossed and I am wrong.

For a Club that has historically been renowned for having its fingers on the pulse and never missing a beat, there have been some disturbing signs of a serious case of the “wobbles” of late in the front office.

Now at the risk of being accused of deliberately insighting a riot, if I correctly recall, wasn’t there some murmurings that we messed up the NGA paper work with Erasmus’s parents too.

Please those in the know posters - correct me if I am wrong on this one but I vaguely remember early in the year, hearing that we may have not previously handled things as promptly or as efficiently as we should have with the Paper Work for Erasmus ????

Hope I am wrong on this as that would be a serious **** up.

While I do appreciate that the Clubs admin has been a victim of the soft cap roll back, the messing up of not signing NGA prospects in a timely manner to meet lodgement deadlines, is not a good look for the Club.

Yeah this is correct, Erasmus was pretty flat after it too. Although it wouldn’t of mattered because he would’ve went before pick 20 where we could match bids anyway, it still is very amateur of us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s been definitely been a few misfires off field this year as well as on field without question. The sort of mistakes that indicate too much being left to too many and corners being cut to save dollars (like the Castore deal)

W

Wouldn't matter anyway as he'll be taken within the top 20, no?

To be honest I’d rather we didn’t have a saffa on the list anyway…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wouldn't be taking Jones in the national draft anyway .

We don't get priority access in the rookie draft do we ?

Only way i see it effecting us is if we wanted to cat B rookie him .

Think he will go late national or rookie draft .

Think we have Ethan Reagan pencilled in with our last national draft spot

Is this part of O’Brien’s job or someone else’s?
Looking at the organisation listing from 2018 (not been updated in any annual report that I have seen since then), Brad Smith was the Recruiting Operations Manager and he reported through to the List Manager. We also had Todd Nisbett as one of the WA Recruiting Officers.

Now not sure where things are at post the cut backs but you would think that recruitment and NGA talent management ended up reporting to the Pieman. Now the fact that the Pieman is located in Melbourne may have been a complication. That said, if your geographic isolation from the head office prevents you from doing your job, you either do not take the job or you move to head office.

Am I missing something?

We wouldn't be taking Jones in the national draft anyway .

We don't get priority access in the rookie draft do we ?

Only way i see it effecting us is if we wanted to cat B rookie him .

Think he will go late national or rookie draft .

Think we have Ethan Reagan pencilled in with our last national draft spot

Jones is not only a better player than Regan, but fits our list better too

Regan is not someone I’m high on personally, but who knows, hope I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wouldn't matter anyway as he'll be taken within the top 20, no?
So are you OK with the club being sloppy? This is 2 players in the current draft pool that were not properly registered in our NGA programme. What worries me is that these 2 oversights smell like we are struggling. We either have too much for the team to do or not the right people in the right place.

I pledged my membership fees in 2020 because I wanted the club to remain strong. I could not give a rats ar$e about making more money in the current climate and would be happy to run at a small loss of a couple of years to remain intact.

This has nothing to do with whether Erasmus would be available post pick 20.

Didn’t Erasmus get told he didn’t qualify as a NGA because of his parentage?

If we miss Erasmus I hope the VFL media get a hold of this story and constantly laugh at the fact we could've NGA'd him.

Except we couldn’t anyway if he goes in the top 20. Which he will.

So are you OK with the club being sloppy? This is 2 players in the current draft pool that were not properly registered in our NGA programme. What worries me is that these 2 oversights smell like we are struggling. We either have too much for the team to do or not the right people in the right place.

I pledged my membership fees in 2020 because I wanted the club to remain strong. I could not give a rats ar$e about making more money in the current climate and would be happy to run at a small loss of a couple of years to remain intact.

This has nothing to do with whether Erasmus would be available post pick 20.
I don’t think anyone is happy. But the soft cap has been slashed. We can have all the money in the world but it doesn’t mean much if we’re not allowed to spend it.

this mistake would be critical if he goes at pick 21. Have to hope there’s nothing else out there though that we’ve stuffed

Didn’t Erasmus get told he didn’t qualify as a NGA because of his parentage?

Except we couldn’t anyway if he goes in the top 20. Which he will.
Erasmus parents got an email they did not understand so ignored it. If the club was doing the right thing, it would have been visit or at least a phone call.

Makes you realise these NGA's are most likely a façade for zoning assuming you have a different racial background or born overseas. Sometimes there is a need for additional support to get the person to an AFL level.

Knowing the Claremont system with Jones, I would say Claremont development did more than West Coast in contacting him. It feels like we complain about Freo's NGA pool while in reality it sounds like we are sulking it up and or ignoring the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back