List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Geelong wanting pick 8 for Clarke is laughable!!
They remind me of the cheap skate Indians who will barter you down like crazy when buying, but if they are selling it’s worth the world!!

Fingers crossed Freo are smart enough to walk away from this.
The dick eaters will be left with a underperforming player and a average draft hand

It’s a tough one, do I want freo screwed or Geelong screwed….Either way it will leave me unhappy as both can’t be screwed together.

They remind me of the cheap skate Indians who will barter you down like crazy when buying, but if they are selling it’s worth the world!!

The dick eaters will be left with a underperforming player and a average draft hand

Geelong are getting a bit of a reputation.

Last edited:
Is there a chance Freo get the Cerra deal done first (pick 6 + change) and then try to split their own pick 8 to get a late first rounder and another few later picks to appease the Cats for Clark?

They might be after Brisbane’s pick 18 too in that scenario.

I reckon Freo are better off getting their draftees into the system for 12 months and pursuing an OOC Clark this time next year.

Clark is a cherry on top for them. He might get them into finals but he's not taking them all the way with where their list is at, so they can afford to wait a year for him.

Not really, they can ask for whatever they want. While I agree pick 8 is fantasy world they will end up with a mid teen pick which I still think is to much. Good for them if they can do it.

It’s a tough one, do I want freo screwed or Geelong screwed….Either way it will leave me unhappy as both can’t be screwed together.

I disagree. Geelong keeping him is the best outcome.

No feather, freo can't close the deal for a player they have courted
Geelong don't get another pick
Geelong keep a player they won't actually put in their side that often

Is there a chance Freo get the Cerra deal done first (pick 6 + change) and then try to split their own pick 8 to get a late first rounder and another few later picks to appease the Cats for Clark?

They might be after Brisbane’s pick 18 too in that scenario.
Better of just taking 6 and 8 and letting Clark wait 12 months.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Freo (and even us) can have a habit of hearing that a player is keen to come to their club and then doing everything they can to make it happen. Doubtful they'll leave Clark til next year - though they should.

Or split 8 and take 3 picks in the top 20 or so.

I know Clark is contracted, but as an exercise - where would he go in an open draft? It's not the only way to gauge value of a player - but it is a reasonable way to do so.

I'd highly doubt he goes first round (which will be around 20 picks).

Personally I wouldn't take him prior to our pick 35, but I understand that might be different to others.

I would've though a reasonably talented pick 15 who's played 30 games in 3 years without making many waves would be somewhere around the pick in the late 20's that Freo have to offer.

The mail I have got is we are very serious about getting SPP, I have no doubt the club is all in on trying to pinch another flag with this group. Personally I think SPP would be a good get for us. What will it cost is the issue? A draft pick we won't know much about for 2-3 years?
Wonder if they would take a future 2nd for SPP? Surely we can move someone like Hurn on to create a bit of salary room…
I honestly don’t see him being a big influence next year and will likely be in and out of the side due to soft tissue injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if they would take a future 2nd for SPP? Surely we can move someone like Hurn on to create a bit of salary room…
I honestly don’t see him being a big influence next year and will likely be in and out of the side due to soft tissue injuries

If they have the cap squeeze on them also then maybe anything can happen. He wants to be in Perth and generally when a player says something like that clubs help them out with a deal.
I reckon Hurn will be fine next year and he has heaps to offer still. It will depend how much we change up how we play though.

Trade period needs to be 5 days. Not 10.

Don't even get me started on splitting the draft over two separate nights either.

At least we finally get to enjoy the first night of the draft boiz. Don't think we've had a first round pick since this started.

Whats the knock on Brander?

Would have thought you guys would be keen to retain young talls with McGovern and Kennedy getting on?
Brander wants more money and opportunities than we are willing to give him . We had offered him a contract extension last year and he turned it down to prove himself and get a better contract.

It hasn't worked out for him and he and his manager are playing silly buggers trying to get him more money .

2 hours would be enough to motivate the list managers to get something done.

$CONTENT$ idea:

Each BF board is given one late pick and one rookie listed player which they are allowed to trade against the club's wishes, all decisions finalized by board polls.

Would make the two weeks fly by.

They are fringe players. Top end talent are players who can potentially cover the losses of Shuey, Gaff and an ageing Yeo in the next couple of years. If we think these guys are going to do that we’re rooted

Fringe players with potential to be important role players.

And wont cost as much in picks or in dollars.

every premiership team has them and needs them.

Trade period needs to be 5 days. Not 10.

Honestly it should be a month minimum, its primary purpose should be enabling players to change employers like just about everyone else in society can do freely. The entertainment aspect of it should be secondary and a byproduct, not the driving force dictating how the whole thing is run.

Now excuse me while I relisten to today’s ten hours of trade radio.

49, or 52 or whatever it’ll end up being for SPS, then I’d be willing to go 29 for SPP. If we can still have pick 10 and either 29 or 35 (assuming Port wouldn’t take 35) then that’s a pretty good outcome. Surely there’s not a lot of difference between who we’d pick at 29 or 35. We’d end up playing them on a flank and delisting them 3 years later anyway, why not go for a ready made player and try and get NN, Gaff and Shep a medal while they’ve got the chance. Future schmuture I say, I want flags now!!!!!

Honestly it should be a month minimum, its primary purpose should be enabling players to change employers like just about everyone else in society can do freely. The entertainment aspect of it should be secondary and a byproduct, not the driving force dictating how the whole thing is run.

Now excuse me while I relisten to today’s ten hours of trade radio.

I've said it before - clubs no longer playing should be able to start trading as soon as their final game has completed with an end date of a fortnight after the GF.

Ooo, and if there's a genuine chance of getting SPP for a pick in the 40's or 50's (or have I misread that?) then yes please, all over that sh*t.

If Port are getting rid of him at that price it's sounds like their fed up so we can leverage that in contract negotiation as well.

Wouldnt use that line on the Port SPP thread.

They are very much attached to his boof head. Expect a high price to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back