List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Rumoured and inferred only, as it has been many times before.

Hard man to kill off from the position of CEO.

View attachment 1715839

From memory Nizzy has been going;
1. After settled into Mineral Resources Park.
2. After bedding down Optus agreement and move of games from Subi to there.
3. After COVID.
4. And now coz we’re shizen he is staying until end of 2024 (apparently)

Next year it will be after the US elections, Ukraine War pick your own excuse for him to stay longer.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nisbett is the problem.

They will spend big on the right areas this year but need a couple of scapegoats and as long as king nissie is there, there will be underlying issues.

What is the underlying issue? Not defending him but is there more than simply being there too long?

Like any CEO, they consolidate their position with yes men/women. This won’t change no matter who is in charge.

My issue is that club is full of grandparents trying to relive the good old days. Everyone that’s ever discussed is 60+. Gepp, wylie, nisbett, 2/3 of recruiting team, stocks.

So are we splitting the pick now??

Just its clear in my head, after today's game Reid has gone from 'generation talent' to doesn't have midfield craft, is an average kick and can't kick 45m?
You make him sound like Gaff MKII.

Edit - beat me by seconds. Literally seconds.

You just described Gaff
There are two wings on a ground

Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

So are we splitting the pick now??

Just its clear in my head, after today's game Reid has gone from 'generation talent' to doesn't have midfield craft, is an average kick and can't kick 45m?

He's no Luke Jackson, that's for sure.

Reid was a little underwhelming to me but as others have mentioned, it's his first game back after a decent lay-off.

Also its hard to have a huge impact playing deep forward when the ball is on the other side of the field for a fair chunk of the game (after VC's fast start, SA had most of the play)

Keen to see how he goes next game as a full time mid. Or even in the backline where he is fun to watch

The AFL might be a bit worried a generational talent like Reid might go to a good team via trade if we trade pick 1, and also the supposed mockery of having pick 1 traded for the second year in a row so they might be more willing to give North pick 1 as a PP to prevent that happening, so even if he was worth pick 1, which he's clearly not coz he's a spud, we're unlikely to get him anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL might be a bit worried a generational talent like Reid might go to a good team via trade if we trade pick 1, and also the supposed mockery of having pick 1 traded for the second year in a row so they might be more willing to give North pick 1 as a PP to prevent that happening, so even if he was worth pick 1, which he's clearly not coz he's a spud, we're unlikely to get him anyway.
Don't make me post a dick pic!!

Gavin Bell is such a good operator would hate to lose him but I know multiple other clubs have offered him roles on better money and he stayed.
Sam Mitchell has offered him a job every year since he has been at Hawthorn
But I also understand Gavin Bell has been pushing for more change as footy manager, but as been over ridden by our CEO
This is why we need a genuinely independent and thorough review. There might be, and is likely to be, both genuinely competent people in middling positions the club (such as Bell possibly) who have genuine talent and competence but have been impeded by a severely centralised power and control structure and the proliferation of a group think infested atmosphere at the club (primarily because of Nisbett) and at the same time there be might be people in the middle ranks of only average talent and competence who are not as good as we need them to be and who need to go. We need somebody to sort the wheat from the chaff for us in a genuinely independent way with absolutely zero input and interference from Nisbett. And it is absolutely guaranteed that Nisbett will be trying to interfere and influence any review. It is the nature of the man to behave that way.

I have been hearing from my sibling that works at a high level at The West/Channel 7 that Langer and Simpson are almost best mates and their families hang out together. I think that this totally disqualifies Langer from being the person who does the review.

If that's his plan it's not too smart.
He almost certainly still goes pick 1 regardless, all this does is tank his value so that noone is willing to offer enough to entice a trade
Exactly. Which then makes it more likely we take him rather than trade the pick. It's in his best interest to blitz it, and encourage West coast to dip there toes in the trade market prior to the draft.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute shit stirrer and I should ban you immediately

However

ill allow it ken jeong GIF

Pretty sneaky of the VFL to substitute Reid with Harley Raid (Andrew gaff) from Wish but lucky our draft watchers are switched on enough and saw through that stunt double.

What is the underlying issue? Not defending him but is there more than simply being there too long?

Like any CEO, they consolidate their position with yes men/women. This won’t change no matter who is in charge.

My issue is that club is full of grandparents trying to relive the good old days. Everyone that’s ever discussed is 60+. Gepp, wylie, nisbett, 2/3 of recruiting team, stocks.

Nah, this is fundamentally wrong and the mindset of where unsuccessful middle management go to die. It’s been shown in quite extensive research that the most successful CEOs promote their own redundancy and rely on others extensively. They really encourage the greater good rather than need their own tyres pumped up. To quote Ray Dalio (worth reading about if you don’t know him), “I just wanna be right. I don’t care who came up with the answer.”

The chairman plus 70ish too. Needs a strong board to drive those changes. Don't know this bloke's background but he doesn't present as being someone who could lead what is required 1687080500885.png

Attachments

• 1687080361010.png
    1687080361010.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 72
He's a Toby Greene like mid-forward.

Like most players finds it easier behind the ball but doesn't seem to do a lot with it. Kicking skills are okay but not damaging enough to be an elite half back.

Doesn't have the ball reading ability around the ground or doesn't have the tank. While he's explosive enough he lacks the ability to spread and create overlap.

Comparison to Dangerfield and Martin are laughable, he's noticeably slower and smaller than both. While I'd be happy to have him, he's not a generational talent.

West Coast problems are mostly post stoppage related, depending on the team we can put on the park. Which unfortunately players like Harley won't fix.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

This is my sense too, and it's interesting to see how much opinion diverges here, see for eg Dylan82's judgement re his stoppage craft.

In any case, gonna be very interesting to see what we end up doing with the pick and how Reid develops in relation to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back