List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree. With two more top 15 picks this year, we are going to have a stack load of players under the age of 22. Baker, Graham and Owies make us better next year instantly, so I'm optimistic we can finish somewhere in the 10 to 14 range on the ladder, and I'm not convinced Hawthorn will have linear improvement. With a stacked draft this year, I'd rather take a punt on getting another top 15 pick this year rather than keep our 1st rounder for next year.
Our own f1 is worth more than pick 10. I wouldnt move it for less than something similar to 10+18 or a top 7 pick. Id prefer the 2 picks than the 1 top 7 pick.
Easily rather dump our f1 than the hawks f1 too

We'd be lucky to get pick 20 for Hawthorn's future 1st.
Tbh im not even thinking about trading it.
I want it to be used for Warner, and if we dont get Warner at least we have something in the first round next year.

Trade our own f1, if we cant get a decent buyer then use 2nd rounders to get another pick or 2

The Warner shit is worrying because it seems that we’ve already put all our eggs in that basket a year in advance and “made a commitment to Chad”. ie. we’re going to get shafted again next year because we’ve already boxed ourselves into a corner whilst some very good players could be available at the picks we’d have to give up.

If we’re all in on Chad then our F1 simply has to be brought forward to limit the damage. “Can’t trade what we don’t have” seems to be how others go about it so we need to get creative. F1 for a top 10 pick this year, offer Hawks F1 and our 2026 F1 for Warner.
Yep this is exactly what I was thinking.

We'll also have multiple later picks in 2025 which we can use on the 2 NGAs and the father son we'll have.

I'd be looking at 6 (maybe a stretch) or perhaps 10 & 18 for our F1 (or something similar). However Clark being in charge of this makes me nervous as he could trade it for a pack of twisties.

The following year we then do our 2026 first and Hawthorn's 2025 F1 for Warner as you've suggested. The additions of Warner and a fourth year Harley (addition of Warner helps convince him to re-sign), development of our current crop plus the 2024 & 2025 draft classes hopefully means that the 2026 first we gave Sydney is only 10 at worst.

The net result being we've brought forward 2 years of draft development (2024 class), secured Harley's signature & brought Warner to the club :)

Two of them are barely best 22.
And, TBH, I would rather see Long and Dewar get consistent games that Owies.
Let alone what this means for the future of Brockman.
I'm not so sure about that - Owies would have been our 2nd highest goal scorer this year and last year. Bringing in a 30 goal a year forward is nothing to snear at. See him more replacing Cripps. Long is B22 & Dewar will get opportunities. Brockman needs to show more.

Graham is no star, but raises the floor of our B22 - he also had a pretty reasonable season for his position

1000019639.jpg

Based on roughly where bids for Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall might come and with the picks currently held by the respective clubs the late picks we hold (73,81) will come into 65 and 73 which is 99 points. That covers a bid from pick 49 onwards

To give an idea of the impact of the new points system being implemented in 2025 - Brisbane holds picks 27,34,42,43 plus later picks. That group of 4 picks covers a bid at pick 2 this year but only a bid at pick 8 next year. It’s going to be a lot harder to drop back in the draft to accumulate points from multiple picks to match early bids especially

Of relevance to us, Hawthorn’s F2 if they finish 6th again so notionally pick 31 would only cover a bid for Banfield at 29. Adding our F3 (~39) would cover a bid at pick 20

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back