Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. Injury prone
2. Getting old
3. Loves surf coast
4. Has red hair
5. Plays 1 good match every 50

Ticks all the boxes for a Geelong recruit. I'm actually not that angry about this one compared to when we recruited McIntosh and Mitch Clarke. Maybe we get one that actually works - it would be about time given all our failures. Also seems like a decent bloke.
Luck went our way - just need him to stand up in finals now. He had an unlucky habit of getting injured in all sorts of random ways.

2021 is on track to easily being his highest goal-kicking tally for his career - just another 4 goals needed. Interesting that he's never gotten past 25 goals in a season, though you think last year he would've had it been normal length.

Outside of the team in general, he's probably the biggest beneficiary of the "Cameron Effect".

This is going to sound like a slap or a pessimistic take but I promise it isn't.
Rohan is reaping the benefits from being a third string (sometimes fourth) in a star studded forwardline.
Now that Hawkins has Cameron as his 1-2 punch it enables Rohan to sweep under the radar, matched against a lesser opponent and have less time put into him to reduce his contribution, whereas last season he was the number 2, sometimes 3, and he found it hard to break through that at times.
Especially considering that both Hawkins and Cameron (and Danger when he goes there) are genuine stars who can take games away from opposition single handedly, means they have ALL of the attention.
I said it all along, the single player who will benefit the most from Camerons inclusion was Rohan.

This is going to sound like a slap or a pessimistic take but I promise it isn't.
Rohan is reaping the benefits from being a third string (sometimes fourth) in a star studded forwardline.
Now that Hawkins has Cameron as his 1-2 punch it enables Rohan to sweep under the radar, matched against a lesser opponent and have less time put into him to reduce his contribution, whereas last season he was the number 2, sometimes 3, and he found it hard to break through that at times.
Especially considering that both Hawkins and Cameron (and Danger when he goes there) are genuine stars who can take games away from opposition single handedly, means they have ALL of the attention.
I said it all along, the single player who will benefit the most from Camerons inclusion was Rohan.

He's great in the air but last season he was trying to take pack marks as the 2nd tall ( we all know Tommy doesn't jump) and couldn't hold them - he's only 188cm so no surprise there.
This season he's free to lead more and compete 1 on 1 and what a difference that's made - he is a horror match up when he's mobile and not in the middle of a pack trying to clunk them.
Big win so far - he's getting more of the footy and hitting the scoreboard consistently :thumbsu:

Nothing changes until the guy does something in the finals.
Great H&A performer but flaky in September.

So hypothetically if you had to choose between two players, one who is shithouse all year, and one who is good from rounds 1-22 then becomes shithouse, you’d rank them equally?

rohan is considerably better in general now than he was at Sydney and had at least put together one good final so far with us.

it’s already an improvement and he is making a legitimate contribution most weeks. That’s already better than most people expected from him

Best form since first 8 games for us.
I confess that after last year’s finals I was hoping they replace him with Jarvis (who really is 10% off AFL standard and nowhere near Rohan at his match winning best). The challenge for Rohan is to maintain fitness and output, particularly in finals. Always been my knock on him. Seems to have a new level of confidence with Cameron coming in - so hope to gorge on massive humble pie at season’s end.

So hypothetically if you had to choose between two players, one who is shithouse all year, and one who is good from rounds 1-22 then becomes shithouse, you’d rank them equally?

rohan is considerably better in general now than he was at Sydney and had at least put together one good final so far with us.

it’s already an improvement and he is making a legitimate contribution most weeks. That’s already better than most people expected from him

Of course not.
Compare his career output to someone who is rather mediocre or perhaps, somewhat underachieve and when it comes to finals footy, they lift their intensity and overall work rate to produce damaging stats.
A lot of players have done this. Of course, you have the complete polar opposite in Gary Rohan's case.

From 135 games, he has averaged 2 scoring shots on goal per game. That drops by almost half (1.1 shots on goal) when the finals start. If he had only played in a handful of finals then sure, not enough sample size to paint a clearer picture but to average over 1.2 goals every game and then only 1 goal every second final, that's why he can't be relied upon and one of the many factors as to why Geelong fail to get over the hump in the finals.

100% agree. Reminds me of Tim Kelly playing the third banana in the cats midfield now finding out how tough it is being the number one banana.

100% agree. Reminds me of Tim Kelly playing the third banana in the cats midfield now finding out how tough it is being the number one banana.

Gee he fell didn't he.
I mean he still puts up a decent game every now and then but he was a Brownlow fancy with us and put up quality performances every week...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seem to remember him as a swan carving us up early in the 2016 PF as well. Don't buy the poor finals performer mantra.

Having blocked that game out of my head, I was curious and looked up the stats. He had 18 possies and kicked 2.1 on us - certainly did his job that day (against a joke of an opposition performance, it has to be said).

Gary has been on my mind over the last 24hrs. I just can’t believe a relatively senior player can’t actually lay a fingernail on the ball in a half of football. Especially in a big game.

Was thinking of alternatives, sack him, play him in the reserves, play him elsewhere. Can he play another role?
I know he was tried down back at Sydney, don’t really remember him setting the world on fire. Could he be a tagger? He simply can’t find the footy. So get him to put on a little more size and get him to run with the oppositions best mid. If he can’t find the football get him to out a hard tag on an opponent that can.🤷🏼‍♂

Gary has been on my mind over the last 24hrs. I just can’t believe a relatively senior player can’t actually lay a fingernail on the ball in a half of football. Especially in a big game.

Was thinking of alternatives, sack him, play him in the reserves, play him elsewhere. Can he play another role?
I know he was tried down back at Sydney, don’t really remember him setting the world on fire. Could he be a tagger? He simply can’t find the footy. So get him to put on a little more size and get him to run with the oppositions best mid. If he can’t find the football get him to out a hard tag on an opponent that can.🤷🏼‍♂
You arent learning a new role at 30, hes either good enough up forward or hes in the VFL.

I know he was tried down back at Sydney, don’t really remember him setting the world on fire. Could he be a tagger? He simply can’t find the footy. So get him to put on a little more size and get him to run with the oppositions best mid. If he can’t find the football get him to out a hard tag on an opponent that can.🤷🏼‍♂️
Thought about that to until I saw the first few minutes this week - he is on Salem and I think good he is tagging Salem. First ball in he fades off looking for a cheapie ou the back, possession to Salem then Rohan does not follow but runs wrong side of pack so Salem gets return handball, runs 20 m ank kicks long

Cameron 4 possies. Esava 5 possies. Our forwardline would've been a total nightmare to play in. If Rohan was getting looks but was dropping marks I would give a toss about how little he did but our whole gameplan wasn't functioning and there is nothing the forwards could do about it other than leave the forwardline. What did we concede? 100 pts from stoppages? That's unheard of. The midfield was getting crushed. Who cares what impact a third tall had? Selwood was far more instrumental in us losing than Rohan was.

Last edited:
He had a stinker friday night but was he really that bad overall? You take 30 goals a season from your 3rd forward every day of the week.
its the lack oif consistency that is gaulling.

Stanley has highs and lows too but overall this year he has lifted his floor IMO and been better overall as result.

Rohan can kick 4... but also play 3/4 of footy and not touch it.

And you cannot have that.

GO Catters

its the lack oif consistency that is gaulling.

Stanley has highs and lows too but overall this year he has lifted his floor IMO and been better overall as result.

Rohan can kick 4... but also play 3/4 of footy and not touch it.

And you cannot have that.

GO Catters

On top of that, if he wasn't touching it but ensuring his direct opponent also wasn't touching it, while also providing plenty of defensive pressure on transition or from a contest then you'd take it. But he doesn't.
He goes completely missing and far far far too often that's in big games/finals.
It's just not worth carrying a bloke who won't/can't turn up when he's actually needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back