Review Cats demolish North by 75 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah exactly what I’ve been thinking hence my post. I think Shezzel had 38 today? We know the Dogs numbers last week but it’s quite common for midfielders to rack up 30 plus. Our highest was 23 I think and most were in the teens and we so far haven’t lost a game (will probably change next week)
Not relying on anyone specifically in the midfield, yet still winning is master class coaching.
Didn't somebody a few years ago post about there being a finite number of possessions or thereabouts each game, and the thing was how they would be distributed among the players?
Too concentrated within a couple players or spread out?

Duncan's been slow for 3 or 4 years now. His 1v1 defence has never been strong, but we have plenty that are capable in that regard playing alongside him. We were hurt by his lack of agility moreso in 2023 on the wing. Veterans are actually suited more to the back flank behind the ball.

He remains one of our best ball winners and playmakers. Reverting to his 2022 role has been a big benefit to the side and it was in fact Duncan holding up strong through large parts of our disastrous 2023.

For your last question, if his form drops considerably then of course you would consider dropping him. As you would for any player in our side.
Is he actually one of our best ball winners or is it more accurate to say he’s a high possession getter through a game plan to feed him the ball? I feel like there is a difference. I agree though he’s one of our best playmakers.

And yes, he’s been slow for a few years now but I felt the decline steepened in 2023. He had a good run this past preseason which actually bodes well, but not convinced yet that he has arrested the decline. We will no more in as we get deep in the season.

Probably the only bit I completely disagree with from your post is the idea that Duncan was holding up strong in the 2023 season. He was dealt a bad hand with injury and IMO was not good.

I think we are using him the right way, I’m just think that with a complete list he’s not a 100% lock. Father Time is catching up.

Is he actually one of our best ball winners or is it more accurate to say he’s a high possession getter through a game plan to feed him the ball? I feel like there is a difference. I agree though he’s one of our best playmakers.

And yes, he’s been slow for a few years now but I felt the decline steepened in 2023. He had a good run in preseason which bodes well, but not convinced yet that he has arrested the decline. We will no more in as we get deep in the season.

Probably the only bit I completely disagree with is the idea that Duncan was holding up strong in the 2023 season though. He was dealt a bad hand with injury and IMO was not good.
Duncan over his career has been one of the hardest working to make leads and get on the end of uncontested possessions.

I know that's not as outwardly impressive as a contested bull busting through packs Dangerfield style, but it absolutely has merit. If you don't have a couple of elite players in this category you are stuffed, essentially. The second we lost Tuohy as a prolific, classy back flanker while Smith started to get gassed on the wing - we struggled. It took a year but we have essentially covered that loss with Duncan and Holmes doing their thing backwards of centre.

For 2023 Duncan remained our number 2 effective disposal winner, trailing only Stewart. He had some dicey disposals and defensive moments, but he very much held his form better than a number of our veterans. Of course some kind of drop off is inevitable, but people have been much more vocal about a Duncan drop off rather than Tuohy over the past season and a bit, which baffles me.

at this stage you would think 2E would be the most in danger of being dropped later in the year, Duncan has been fantastic so far this year it remains to be seen if he can keep up his form considering the fact he has slowed down a bit …not as much as 2E but I can see the danger

It’s up to the kids to push them aside

at this stage you would think 2E would be the most in danger of being dropped later in the year, Duncan has been fantastic so far this year it remains to be seen if he can keep up his form considering the fact he has slowed down a bit …not as much as 2E but I can see the danger

It’s up to the kids to push them aside
Considering the role Duncan is playing he would have to have a massive drop in form to be dropped whereas Tuohy i think is hanging by a thread as someone who plays multiple positions that we could replace a lot easier.

I would love Humphries to come along or Mullin and put pressure on Duncan as a hbf type but atm i don't see it

Yeah. Too many cooks ruin the dinner!
However Tomahawk provides zero forward defensive pressure. So many opposition uncontested marks are taken with him in the drop zone. You saw what Neale's presence did for the small forwards. Close and Stengle kicked a combined 7 goals. Blind Freddy can see what is happening there.

I'm not sure "unlucky / playing well" equals "shouldn't be cut"?

Obviously the debutant who had a decent first hit-out (regardless of opposition) will probably be the first one out. The same applies for the mid who's played a grand total of 5-6 games.

Neale had his best senior game so far, and yes, will obviously be swapped with Hawkins, but in a lot of teams that kind of performance would probably buy him a few extra weeks...so unlucky.

Tuohy - well, yeah. I said that.

Anyway...

EDIT: "teams" typo
Not so sure about Neale going out for Hawkins. Hawkins last game must have been close to the worst game he has ever played at Geelong. Neale's last game was the best he has played.

However Tomahawk provides zero forward defensive pressure. So many opposition uncontested marks are taken with him in the drop zone. You saw what Neale's presence did for the small forwards. Close and Stengle kicked a combined 7 goals. Blind Freddy can see what is happening there.
Close and Stengle kicked 7 because we massacred North and they are good players.

North also lack great intercepting KPDs.

I don't doubt that Hawkins is weak on pressure and bringing balls to ground, but the smalls have also thrived around him for the few years they've been in the team.

O'Sullivan and Neale, the two big boys brought in, my goodness they did well, and where did they find that O'Sullivan kid?
I know Neale is pretty special and they've been holding him back a bit, but young O'Sullivan would be the second defensive tower we could have behind De Koening. Was he a draftee? Very impressive imo.

O'Sullivan and Neale, the two big boys brought in, my goodness they did well, and where did they find that O'Sullivan kid?
I know Neale is pretty special and they've been holding him back a bit, but young O'Sullivan would be the second defensive tower we could have behind De Koening. Was he a draftee? Very impressive imo.
O'Sullivan is a rare Geelong top 10 pick (that ended up #11). Even rarer, one we don't use on a midfielder/flanker prospect.

He certainly moved well enough that you could imagine him in defence, on the wing or even up forward.

O'Sullivan is a rare Geelong top 10 pick (that ended up #11). Even rarer, one we don't use on a midfielder/flanker prospect.

He certainly moved well enough that you could imagine him in defence, on the wing or even up forward.
Definitely looked like a midfielder with ball in hand. Will be a very good player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish I had the energy to hate something for as long as he's hated Geelong.

You're right, it's almost impressive how long he's done it.
go bk to 2022. He was 100% on Geelong. He calls it how he sees it. Got no issue with it. He is now calling for Cameron to win brownlow and Coleman.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Kind of amusing that we have a giant forward flanker and a tiny forward flanker in the top 10 of the coaches votes. It certainly won't stay that way given how tough it is for forwards to get votes, but the longer we have no "star" midfielders in, the higher chance others will be rewarded.

And it does emphasise how strong we are in attack. 5th highest scorers in the league in 2023 in a complete disaster year with no midfield and appalling delivery (outside of Miers). 2nd this year.

Some of the huge number of possession's some of the midfielders are having across the AFL at present coupled with them having high mid-field time can be such an over-rated stat with the Bulldogs last week being exhibit one. But with the likes of a Tanner Bruhn being so damaging, firstly by obtaining possession through 'midget' strength, bravery, athleticism and footy nous, then secondly exiting from a ball-up 'at speed' by foot or hand then 'opening up play' is ultra impressive and grossly undervalued.... GO CATS
plus he has both sides. precision left foot means he can wxit either direction

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Not so sure about Neale going out for Hawkins. Hawkins last game must have been close to the worst game he has ever played at Geelong. Neale's last game was the best he has played.

I'd say Hawkins has enough credits in the bank to come back and have an impact...but it'd be fantastic if match committee could fit Neale in somehow without upsetting the balance.

I wish I had the energy to hate something for as long as he's hated Geelong.

You're right, it's almost impressive how long he's done it.
I like Kingy, to be honest. And he's right more often than he's wrong.

Most supporters seem to think that particular commentators have it in for their team.

I'd say Hawkins has enough credits in the bank to come back and have an impact...but it'd be fantastic if match committee could fit Neale in somehow without upsetting the balance.

I've no doubt we will see Hawk, Neale and Jezza in the same side at some stage.
What could make that work is Jezza's flexibility - we're playing him further up the ground and he is relishing that freedom - yet he is talented enough to work forward and hit the scoreboard ( probably generates more shots on goal that way than being a permanent forward :) )
Hawk has to be watched closely and Neale can compete for the high ball. Trade off is we play one small/medium less and have less forward pressure but that combination could work very well in September

I'd play Hawkins and Neale interchanging off the bench. As soon as Harris Andrews and/or Jack Payne start taking uncontested marks then off with Hawkins, on comes Neale.
We don't have bench space to give tall forwards such a small amount of game time.

Tall players at Geelong always play a huge amount of the game, usually over 90%. That's what allows us to give our centre square prime movers so much valuable rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back