Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

He carried the same injury last year and played the back end of the year ok with it.
They will rest him next week given the 6 day break but it should be fairly ok after that i think.

Such an unforgiving game at times.

Bruhn has been epic for us thus far, but he has already accrued his share of wear and tear at a tender footballing age.

I witnessed a bit of banter involving Geelong supporters ragging Tigers fans that Jacob Hopper was a bust for them; big contract; oft-injured.

Tanner is still establishing himself as a an AFL fixture, and he's made a really good fist of things since coming to Geelong, no doubt at all. But he's already missed his fair share of games with niggles and knocks.

I think he is potentially our most important player going forward; he could be our Zak Butters. But he will take a lot of managing.

An even better approach would be to spread that midfield load as evenly and diversely as possible. Easier said than done; that's the art of list management.

Sure there were a few costly umpire calls.
Lots of missed kicks and handballs
An epidemic of bad kicking at goal
Cats had a chance to steal it at the end.
Many believe to Cats blew it...

NO! the Demons deserved the win.
Dees simply wanted it more
Dees were more disciplined
Dees took the body at every contest
They held their tackles
They held on to stop Cats playing on.
Cats were always under intense pressure
Rushed decisions and made clangers

In Contrast Cats played bruise free footy.
Waited for, rather than attacked the ball
Rarely brought the man down
Didn't stick tackles to stop ball movement.
Stood back from the mark
Allowed Dees to play on fluently
Allowed time and space to execute skills

Cats were hunted instead of being hunters.
Chris Scott needs to fix this mental problem

cat face slap.gif

so instead of keeping him out there and limiting his chances of playing next week they made the sub.
Take note....Kenny.

There's no doubt that Cameron has had a great start to the season & tonight was a serious let down - probably his worse return in the Hoops and he just couldn't seem to get things going, outside that one kick to Close

While Miers is another who's been up & about to start the season, and he's lack of involvement during the first half was noticeable, more so because of what happened in the third qtr when he was able to get his hands on the ball

But what's the chances it's Zach Guthrie currently leading our B&F tonight?

At the ground, he comfortable looked our best player tonight, and at no stage did the situation seem to get to him - even with a couple of errors in the first quarter, he was able to reset, refocus and get back on with the task at hand

Can't recall him really putting a foot wrong at any stage this season, and while he was a little quieter against North that really wasn't his fault

He stood up in the absence of Stewart in the second half against Brisbane, was solid again last week and kept it going this week

He finished 4th in the B&F last season - can he go a few steps better this season?
Already my B & F, and have him as our next captain, and AA this year. Not much I can add to that

Ooooh the Tea!
Just to head off the Hawk needs a bex and a good lie down next week debate that will go all week- A defensive presser from Scott saying they have NO plans to rest him- just yet, his turn will come later.

-victim of his own consistency
-it was hell slippery out there
-Bruhn okay, not okay

Long time no here.

Well that was ordinary.

- forward line pressure non existent, Dees rolled out of defence far too easily. Mids just rolled in the sand and the poor defence struggled.

- Top 4 forwards were the worst rating on ground at the half.

- moving the ball forward off centre was back to the latter half of last year. We kicked to defenders.

- Dees defence chocked up the middle; yet we still kicked it there. When we went from the boundary we often did better.

- Zuthrie was BOG for us.

- needed Roh on at the start of the game on the ground. May slaughtered Hawk.

Awful game to watch.

My biggest worry is Hawkins. He is playing like he is cooked. Like Mooney in 2011. Just can't get into it, week after week. Veteran players can go like that.
Agreed. Quite surprising - fans often talk about old players “falling off a cliff” in a figurative sense, but it has happened in a very literal way for Hawkins. He was great between 2020-2023, but terrible in 2024.

I really hope he can turn things around, because his role is one of the most important in our team.

Ugly game compared to last week. I’m disappointed as we had our chances but Dee’s missed plenty of gimmes too.

On tonight’s game neither team will play deep in finals, IMO.

Long time no here.

Well that was ordinary.

- forward line pressure non existent, Dees rolled out of defence far too easily. Mids just rolled in the sand and the poor defence struggled.

- Top 4 forwards were the worst rating on ground at the half.

- moving the ball forward off centre was back to the latter half of last year. We kicked to defenders.

- Dees defence chocked up the middle; yet we still kicked it there. When we went from the boundary we often did better.

- Zuthrie was BOG for us.

- needed Roh on at the start of the game on the ground. May slaughtered Hawk.

Awful game to watch.
I agree about Rohan. Either give him a full game or don't play him at all. He needs time to warm up. Our forward line has been crying out for some defensive pressure and the one forward who brings that was warming the bench. I reckon May and Lever thanked their lucky stars when they realized Rohan was playing sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to realise that we've hit that threshold where the younger players are actually the keys. The future looks bright.

There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and this might sound crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing SDK spend some time ruck/forward for a month, with COS taking his spot down back. SDK lacks confidence still after his face injury, he might enjoy playing a role with less pressure than taking the opposition's best key forward each week.

The challenging thing for the club is working out how to transition out the older guys in a way that still gives us a chance for the premiership but also doesn't disrespect the old boys. The team comes first, but it's not always that simple in practice.

The whole point of the home and away season is to finish top 4, not to win every game. If we can finish top 4 then the old guys get a chance to go all out. I'm confident we can win the premiership this year, with our mix of experienced and hardened finals players with the younger guys.

But we'd need a fit list come September, and we have no chance without a fit Danger. I don't care what anyone says, he's underrated at the moment - that first half against Carlton was immense, he's the kind of player you'd hate playing against because you know he goes full steam at every contest, like Viney.

I agree about Rohan. Either give him a full game or don't play him at all. He needs time to warm up. Our forward line has been crying out for some defensive pressure and the one forward who brings that was warming the bench. I reckon May and Lever thanked their lucky stars when they realized Rohan was playing sub.

Yes true- But we weren't to know that Cameron would be such an unlikely putz. Or that we'd miss MOC and Parf, (conditions suited) but gain a good Clark, get the off fortnightly good game Tuohey and Stanley and slippery fingers Henry. then Bruhn our quality midfielder goes. Bad play, bad conditions, bad sub, Bad luck.

Just a stray thought for some positivity, we've been the most rewarded fans for the past 20 years, and it's not even close. And somehow the next 10 years also looks like it should be a good period. Always disappointing to lose but I wouldn't want to support any other team - we have it good.

I remember as a young kid in the late 80s I was at that stage where I was working out which team to support - my parents weren't into AFL so I had no input from them. I liked the Tigers because of the animal, and I liked Dunstall and Ablett for obvious reasons - so it was out of those three clubs. Funnily enough if I chose either it would've turned out ok in the future, premiership wise.

But because of Ablett's brilliance me and my brother chose Geelong (even though we lived in North Melbourne and had zero connection to Geelong), and after enduring the heartbreaking 90s and early 2000s we've been spoiled beyond belief.

It's ridiculous actually how good the past two decades have been. Some fans might go their whole lives without seeing a premiership, and meawhile we smoke teams by 119 and 81 in grannies.

Yes true- But we weren't to know that Cameron would be such an unlikely putz. Or that we'd miss MOC and Parf, (conditions suited) but gain a good Clark, get the off fortnightly good game Tuohey and Stanley and slippery fingers Henry. then Bruhn our quality midfielder goes. Bad play, bad conditions, bad sub, Bad luck.
Our biggest struggle for the night (and season really) has been that get out player down the line, which is the only area we've truly lacked Rohan IMO.

Ollie Dempsey is a 6'2 kid in his 15th game, he shouldn't have to be the get out clause on long down the line kicks, but he was regularly tonight.

Already my B & F, and have him as our next captain, and AA this year. Not much I can add to that

I posted the below quote during our 22 QF win over Collingwood - I can still remember the passage playing out in front of me

It's late in the match, Collingwood is leading by 5pts and there's a stoppage at their end of the ground

Down back is the likes of Stewart, Henry, Duncan etc, but the player checking where the Collingwood players are positioning themselves & who's matching up on them is Zach - you could hear him from the stands calling out instructions to teammates, including Stewart

It was a maturity we may not have expected from him at that stage of his career

Guthrie Jnr is really composed and also really vocal down back

A leader in the making

If we had a leadership group beyond the C & VC, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in it

Our biggest struggle for the night (and season really) has been that get out player down the line, which is the only area we've truly lacked Rohan IMO.

Ollie Dempsey is a 6'2 kid in his 15th game, he shouldn't have to be the get out clause on long down the line kicks, but he was regularly tonight.

Yes he's usually elusive like that on the wing, but I had some fear before the game that Melbs were a wake up to us, and our long balls- thus it proved. Usually we play towards Miers off half back, towards the wing, but he was covered more times than not. Can't say that Rohan would be any better, but he is strong. With dewy conditions and a heavy ball, plus their short play, I'm coming to terms with it.

PS I think they were desperate to get Rohan on, even before Bruhn was injured. Would have interested me to see who was dragged.

Ugly game compared to last week. I’m disappointed as we had our chances but Dee’s missed plenty of gimmes too.

On tonight’s game neither team will play deep in finals, IMO.

From what I have seen this year we're still chasing the likes of Collingwood, GWS, Melbourne and Sydney.

But we're a good 2024 team.

Agreed. Quite surprising - fans often talk about old players “falling off a cliff” in a figurative sense, but it has happened in a very literal way for Hawkins. He was great between 2020-2023, but terrible in 2024.

I really hope he can turn things around, because his role is one of the most important in our team.
It's only since the Hawthorn game really in 2024.

If I were to have an uneducated guess, it would be an issue with the foot again. I have not seen him kick a long drop punt in the past month (there was a torp in the Brisbane game). He is giving off opportunities around 50 that we would normally kick. His normally excellent passing by foot is a bit off. He's not covering the ground, or leading to the ball like he normally would (and did do in rounds 1-3).

Even so, there were a few things he did tonight that were pretty exquisite. A clever touch here and a quick-thinking toepoke there that set up goals. Working within his limitations. That's the kind of team player and champion he has always been.

Yeah I agree that his role is fundamental to this team and hope he can return to doing the things we know he can.

Needs to be looked at....falling away quickly imo.
Absolute rubbish.

One of the big defects we saw today was from Duncan dropping his level so severely compared to previous games.

Maybe due for a rest and a jaded display reflected that. But you have been waiting to throw the boots in to Duncan, as you did all of last year, and it is clownish behaviour. You were awfully quiet for his mostly smooth opening 7 rounds, although any error has had the magnifying glass on and anything executed well completely ignored.

You have no idea, mate.

Great game loved the intensity, Atkins has to start every week he sets the standard on attacking the ball and tackling. We played our style of football and the slippery conditions meant we were a few cms off many perfect passages, thats going to happen. Dees played old school contested kick it forward and missed some easy chances they played a little better as their style suited the conditions and there defence was amazing (the tall defenders) which gave them a corridor to work with. Holmes was brilliant Guthrie outstanding as he has been everyweek and Stewart worked himself after looking a bit rusty early to his amazing self. We need Jezza forward trying no to be too cute sometimes and TomoHawk to play in front we need to half contests in the air and bring them to the ground we have the best small forwards in the comp and need to give them maximum opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back