Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

If he wins a premiership no supporter will hate him. We are bitter because the continuous media supporter that is shown towards this fraud. If he pulls off a premiership he deserves everything, give him another 5 year contract imo. He will deserve is. Problem is he had proven he can’t win them consistently. Doesn’t have the game plan
Load of shit. He’s kept port competitive for a long period. It’s extremely hard to win a flag.
I’m expecting all of you port clowns to eat your words when he takes port to a flag this year.

Load of shit. He’s kept port competitive for a long period. It’s extremely hard to win a flag.
I’m expecting all of you port clowns to eat your words when he takes port to a flag this year.
Believe me we are more than happy to eat our words if it means a premiership.

We don’t care about “being competitive” it’s about winning finals and winning premierships, 5 finals wins in 11 years. If you think that’s acceptable, you too are full of shit.

You are sitting here and trying to tell me that cats fans wouldn’t be turning on Scott if you take away his two premierships. What a laugh you are. You guys were turning on him prior to the year he won it. You guys are worse than us

Believe me we are more than happy to eat our words if it means a premiership.

We don’t care about “being competitive” it’s about winning finals and winning premierships, 5 finals wins in 11 years. If you think that’s acceptable, you too are full of shit.

You are sitting here and trying to tell me that cats fans wouldn’t be turning on Scott if you take away his two premierships. What a laugh you are. You guys were turning on him prior to the year he won it. You guys are worse than us
Yeah we slag off the coach every chance we get. Write “sack Scott” on signs near the ground. Constantly say how much we hate him ect.
All I hear from you guys is “it’s not even Hinkley, Carr is the real coach”

Yeah you guys are next level. Embarrassing. And you’ll look like fools even more this year.

This thread is so dumb. "We expect all you Port clowns to eat your words when he wins a flag this year!" Like, yeah, great. That's exactly what we want to happen. Win a flag and Ken can call me a dumb campaigner by name in his speech if he wants. But unless and until he actually does, this isn't a winning argument.

He's been here before in 2020 and 2021. He failed in 2020 and failed spectacularly in 2021. He hasn't proven anyone wrong yet, he hasn't done anything he hasn't done before yet. His chance to prove us wrong starts come prelim final week. And nobody will be happier than me if he does.

Yeah we slag off the coach every chance we get. Write “sack Scott” on signs near the ground. Constantly say how much we hate him ect.

Yeah nah. You guys are next level. Embarrassing. And you’ll look like fools even more this year.
If we had two premierships under Hinkley we wouldn’t say anything either. You guys were ready to sack him on your board after 2021 season. Don’t rewrite history. You guys are just as bad if not worse. You guys had success and finals wins and you still criticised a coach that went on to win a premiership that year

This thread is so dumb. "We expect all you Port clowns to eat your words when he wins a flag this year!" Like, yeah, great. That's exactly what we want to happen. Win a flag and Ken can call me a dumb campaigner by name in his speech if he wants. But unless and until he actually does, this isn't a winning argument.

He's been here before in 2020 and 2021. He failed in 2020 and failed spectacularly in 2021. He hasn't proven anyone wrong yet, he hasn't done anything he hasn't done before yet. His chance to prove us wrong starts come prelim final week. And nobody will be happier than me if he does.
Yeah we hate Hinkley so much but all will be forgotten if we win the flag!

🤦‍♂️

If we had two premierships under Hinkley we wouldn’t say anything either. You guys were ready to sack him on your board after 2021 season. Don’t rewrite history. You guys are just as bad if not worse. You guys had success and finals wins and you still criticised a coach that went on to win a premiership that year
Sure, a few supporters maybe.

Your entire fan base has expressed their hatred for Ken. Just embarrassing stuff mate.

Your entire fan base has expressed their hatred for Ken. Just embarrassing stuff mate.
Ahh rewriting history I see, whatever makes you feel better mate.

If you think saying “embarrassing stuff”, means anything it doesn’t. If he fails this year, especially straight sets I’m gunna be the first person saying sack Hinkley.

As hinkley says, you get what you deserve. Don’t want criticism from the fans that financially invest in the club each year. Win more finals

Just stop, mate. Pull you're head in. There was intense pressure on Scott from the whole club at the end of 2021. Of all fans to have a crack at Port, Geelong is not one of them.

The fans go from wishing him death, which is deplorable when you think about one Adelaide coach recently passed away in tragic circumstances, to hoping that if they win the premiership, that Hinkley will still get sacked, but a lot of them want him sacked right now. Not ridiculous at all
Yeah, Port fans do sound awful if you just blatantly make stuff up about us, sure.

I can make up cartoonishly evil stuff about Hawthorn too! Like, oh I don't know, Hawthorn players like to kick puppies! Or, let's see, Hawthorn pressured a young player's wife into having an unwanted abortion!

So what are you predicting will happen next week?
Next week isn't the test either. We've won QF's before.

The prelims are where the test begins. History suggests it's a test that Ken is more likely than not to fail, as he's failed every time before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next week isn't the test either. We've won QF's before.

The prelims are where the test begins. History suggests it's a test that Ken is more likely than not to fail, as he's failed every time before.

You didn't answer the question.

Also I'm not making this up when posts on your board get dozens of laughs and likes for Ken to be unalived.

What a complete stupid comment. To suggest our fans would wish death on anyone is utter ridiculous. To group us all in with the words of 1 or 2 psychopaths is just nonsense.

You should be embarrassed of that comment.
It’s horrific but true. Common knowledge that it’s been said by a fair few port supporters.

Just stop, mate. Pull you're head in. There was intense pressure on Scott from the whole club at the end of 2021. Of all fans to have a crack at Port, Geelong is not one of them.
😂 turn it up mate.

Since when did Geelong supporters wish harm on Scott?
Of course there’s been criticism but if you think Geelong fans hated Scott, write graffiti on signs outside the club calling for his head, public harassment then you are delusional.
Clown.

I fully expect us to win next Thursday night, however, the test comes prelim weekend. Win that, and we're every chance, in actual fact, I would back us in to win the whole thing ala 2004. I hope like anything else Hinkley is on the podium on GF day yelling "BiG fOoTy YoUse We'Re WrOng". He deserves every criticism he's gotten from us Port fans to this point, and equally we'll praise him to no end if he FINALLY gets the job done in September.

I fully expect us to win next Thursday night, however, the test comes prelim weekend. Win that, and we're every chance, in actual fact, I would back us in to win the whole thing ala 2004. I hope like anything else Hinkley is on the podium on GF day yelling "BiG fOoTy YoUse We'Re WrOng". He deserves every criticism he's gotten from us Port fans to this point, and equally we'll praise him to no end if he FINALLY gets the job done in September.

Win the QF, then we likely face off with Brisbane in the PF which will probably be the hardest game we play in the finals. Other than round 1 in 23, Brisbane has always had our measure. The only thing going for us is Brisbane are bigger chokers than we are.

Surely one of you flogs would be able to link to just one of these apparent 'dozens' and 'hundreds' of posts seriously wishing death on Hinkley, wouldn't you?

You didn't answer the question.

Do you expect me to state with 100% certainty whether or not we're going to win a prelim this year? That's not how predictions work m8. What I can say with 100% certainty is that Hinkley has failed every previous time he's been faced with that test.

Can you explain to me how a coach "bottles" a Prelim Final ? I get that people love to accuse opponents of being chokers. It's a really popular sledge which people are happy to use. It's overworn, in my opinion. Teams lose. Teams win. But surely if it does apply, then it's the actual players who should wear the choker criticism. (Not every player either, but the shrinking violets who actually let their teammates and coaches down.)

Anyway, why the negative take? Hinkley deserves credit for taking his team into multiple Prelim Finals. He has done a terrific job in recent years with four Top 4 appearances since COVID in 2020. Would another coach have done any better than Ken? I strongly doubt it...

Year.... W/L.......%........Pos... Finals
2024... 15-7.... 114.2... 2nd
... 17-6.... 112.8... 3rd... L L - -
2022... 10-12.. 110.7... 11th
2021... 17-5.... 126.3... 2nd...W - L -
... 14-3.... 136.4... 1st... W - L -
2019... 11-11105.4... 10th
2018... 12-10.. 107.6... 10th
2017... 14-8.... 129.7... 5th... L - - -
2016... 10-12.. 106.0... 10th
2015... 12-10.. 106.8... 9th
2014... 14-8.... 129.9... 5th... W W L -
2013... 12-10.. 102.5... 7th... W L - -

Apart from the deluded Port nuffs, does anyone seriously rate Port as a dominant premiership contender loaded with superior talent to their AFL rivals? Richmond, Geelong, Melbourne and Brisbane had them well covered in recent years. Even this year. Nobody has mentioned them in the same breath as Sydney, Brisbane, Carlton or Collingwood.

Yet here we are... Just one round out from the finals series and Kenny has done it again. He has coached Port to 15+ wins again and another possible flag assault from a top 4 position. He deserves people's praise for that. Not their scorn.

In my opinion, Port are massive over-achievers to get themselves consistently into the Top 4 and premiership calculations. It's got me f**ked why people always want to look for the negatives and be critical about such things instead of commending them for going close, but falling short.

Seriously, who have they got? A trio of midfield stars: Butters, Horne-Francis and Rozee (who was injured in April-May)
Houston is a star, but every team has someone like him rolling off half back.

Not a lot of support for their 3 midfield guns. There's Ollie Wines; William Drew; Miles Bergman... Their 3 big guns give them the midfield advantage over most of their rivals, but it's not a overwhelmingly dominant midfield group like Brisbane 2001-03, West Coast 2005-06, Geelong 2007-09, Collingwood 2010-11, etc...

They have a pair of average ruckmen. Sweet and Soldo are decent enough, but they're not exactly world-beaters

Who else?

They had to go chasing key defenders last October because they were so deficient in this area.
Aliir Aliir is good, but he has been inconsistent over the years.. Ratugolea and Zero-Thatchers are average at best.

What about their forward line? It's decent, but not great...

Charlie Dixon has failed to deliver when it counts. He has always been talked up as though he's one of the competition's superstar forwards, but let's be clear... Charlie is no Hogan/Curnow/Hawkins gun. He has had the ONE great season: 2021 when he kicked 48 goals and was probably a little bit lucky to be named All Australian CHF

Georgiades is pretty good, but had his share of injuries... Finlayson has shown he has legit star quality, but he's always injured. He's out for the season (same with Powell-Pepper.)

Todd Marshall isn't great. Pretty ordinary, really.

Willie Rioli is a mercurial goal sneak. He kicks some unbelievable goals. He has the talent to be one of the AFL's premier small forwards, but he has yet to really deliver on a consistent level. His 31 goals in 2023 was his best season tally.

It's up to the Port players to seize their chances this September. Hinkley & his assistants can help them, but they can't do it for them. Their good work is mostly done anyway. They prepared their players over summer. They devised a gameplan and structures. They've fine-tuned things throughout the season and they've put work each week into countering their opponents. But it's up up to the players to produce their best this September.

If they fall short, so be it... That won't make Kenny a failure. Premierships and Grand Final appareances are not gifted to anyone. Despite their historical success in the SANFL, it's not Port's divine right to play in Grand Finals. The odds are against them doing so this year. ($2.75 on Sportsbet, which translates to a 33% chance of reaching the GF.)

Hinkley probably won't be remembered fondly by the idiot Port fans, but I think he has done great job with the resources available to him.
Yeah. ports team is pretty shit hey… very overrated. As you just said…

I called it a few months back that absolutely they can.

Port will take care of Geelong, could be over at quarter time.

From there it's gets harder as you expect but it's such an even year anything possible.

Win the QF, then we likely face off with Brisbane in the PF which will probably be the hardest game we play in the finals. Other than round 1 in 23, Brisbane has always had our measure. The only thing going for us is Brisbane are bigger chokers than we are.
I don't think it'll be Brisbane, I think the loser of Sydney v GWS will meet us in the PF.

Brisbane aren’t beating GWS or Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back