Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He was worried about what another team wore, even though it didn't clash with us.

That 100% doesn't help.
Hate Koch, hate Ken for whatever stupid reasons you like.

If you can't understand that playing a HOME game against an AWAY team, who are wearing a RED guernsey in CHINA isn't an issue worth raising, you are 100% blinkered.

All part of the argument.
Koch was worried that all those ignorant, superstitious peasants would barrack for the team wearing red. Just another indication of what an arrogant and ignorant buffoon the morning TV show host is.

.... If you can't understand that playing a HOME game against an AWAY team, who are wearing a RED guernsey in CHINA isn't an issue worth raising, you are 100% blinkered.
You can shout all you like but we have always been the away team at Jiangwan Stadium.

Screenshot_2022-07-05-18-00-07-930.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-07-05-18-03-48-229.jpeg

I seem to recall bEeNrEaL backing in the clubs 'sustained success' garbage over a malbun style flash in the pan flag.. hows it tracking?
Didn't realise Melbourne had won it already.

I only came in to look for an update on the PB's, my mistake. It's a cesspool of hate.

People used to support Port Adelaide with their Heart. Now it's with their Ego

Didn't realise Melbourne had won it already.

I only came in to look for an update on the PB's, my mistake. It's a cesspool of hate.

People used to support Port Adelaide with their Heart. Now it's with their Ego
Decades of failure breeds concern I would've thought.

That's incorrect. Kochie wasn't arguing about a clash, he was arguing that when you SELL your home game, Gold Coast don't get to keep their home guernsey.

Well that’s a stupid argument to make. When Hawthorn and North sell home games to Tasmania, or Melbourne to Alice Springs, or St Kilda to Cairns etc, they are all still considered the home team and subsequently wear their home uniform. Always.

Well that’s a stupid argument to make. When Hawthorn and North sell home games to Tasmania, or Melbourne to Alice Springs, or St Kilda to Cairns etc, they are all still considered the home team and subsequently wear their home uniform. Always.
Correct. Clubs sell the hosting/location of their home game, not the fact that they are the home team.

Kochie embarrassed himself and the club with that carry on, even if you don't take the Prison Bars into it. He's not a very good strategic thinker.
There was obviously never an agreement regarding guernseys. There should have been. But there wasn't, so to BS as if there was, was yeah, embarrassing.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was obviously never an agreement regarding guernseys. There should have been. But there wasn't, so to BS as if there was, was yeah, embarrassing.

My theory remains that the agreement said Gold Coast would wear their away guernsey (which is red), but Koch misunderstood and thought that meant their clash guernsey (which is white), which it very much doesn't.

Agreement or not, it's obvious that Koch and the club didn't give the China jumper matter the due diligence it needed, they made an assumption. Given the history of jumper issues with our own club, they should've had it covered. The club embarassed itself. However this one game was of very little consequence to the cause for being in China.

(We should've worn the bars anyway as far as I'm concerned)

What an embarrassing act of douchebaggery that was from Koch. Rather than being grateful that the SUNS facilitated the game going ahead and bringing them into the tent as a partner in the bigger picture play, he acts like a child and makes our club look nearly as petty as Eddie has with Collingwood.

Suns were always shit about the whole thing even though they agreed to it.

St Kilda were much more cooperative.

My theory remains that the agreement said Gold Coast would wear their away guernsey (which is red), but Koch misunderstood and thought that meant their clash guernsey (which is white), which it very much doesn't.
This is my take on it also.

It just highlights how poor on the details Koch actually is. Rather than checking the details he behaved like a petulant child unable to admit he'd made a mistake.

This is the same attitude which has seen him extended Hinkley's contract when it was clearly the wrong course of action.

Ok so it looks unlikely we wear them in the Showdown. Which means its unlikely we wear them -ever- again. At least till the 200th Anniversary.

Next q: did the Ebert game set a new precedent for use of the bars in the AFL i.e. wearing mini bars on the breast of our home/away gurnsey whenever theres a milestone or tribute game.

This is my take on it also.

It just highlights how poor on the details Koch actually is. Rather than checking the details he behaved like a petulant child unable to admit he'd made a mistake.

This is the same attitude which has seen him extended Hinkley's contract when it was clearly the wrong course of action.
There was no agreement. Koch, the professional bullshitter, made that up.

The hoohah started when Trade Minister Ciobo from Queensland was in Shanghai doing a promo a few months before the 2017 game. For the photo session on the Bund a couple of padded koalas showed up, one dressed in black white and teal, the other in red and gold.

KT and Andrew Hunter were there. They were already unhappy that Ciobo and his gang had given Port Adelaide, the creators of the spectacle, insufficient credit. I do not know why they were surprised.

Word got back to Koch that Tony Cochrane was promoting red and gold in China and Koch … level-headed sophisticate that he is … blew a fuse.

It was insane. Yes, we were the creators. Yes, without us nothing would‘ve happened, there would’ve been nothing to promote. But it takes two clubs to play a game of AFL for premiership points in Shanghai, and we should’ve been complimentary to the Suns and to Cochrane not carry on like a schoolyard bully.

We needed Gold Coast in 2017. Koch refused to pick that up or was incapable of doing so.

My personal opinion from the start was that it would be great for the Suns to wear red and gold. It would stand out on Chinese TV and raise the profile of the match. I checked with my own Chinese advisor and he agreed the only danger in the Suns wearing red would be if they beat us. The Chinese love a winner, hate a loser even if they’re wearing red and gold.

My advice was not requested. If it had been, a stupid fracas could‘ve been aborted.

Just before KT came up to Shanghai in May for the match, I asked him long-distance if the Suns wearing red was still an issue. He said he was exhausted with it, with Koch by implication, and could I please forget about it and concentrate on how we should look after the State Grid international directors who had just announced they would be coming down from Beijing and wanted to see Port Adelaide play at Jiangwan Stadium.

Last edited:
Is displaying the BBTB on the electronic billboard during a game an impossibility?
Last week we got the group pic on the board via hashtagging it.

Now, if everyone in the group pic or who has seen the group pic did the same it could spend a lot of time up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back