Opinion Rank our ruck/forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There has been a bit of chatter about what to do with our forward/2nd ruck position.

So I just thought it would be interesting to see where everyone thinks they are on the pecking order.

Rank these in order of how likely you would be to pick them in that spot. Obviously some of the players (Marshall and Rat in particular you need to consider losing them from their regular role).

Finlayson
Sweet
Visintini
Lord
Scully
Ratagolea
Marshall
SPP
Charlie Dixon

Last edited:

Scully, Ratugolea, Marshall should not be under any consideration at all.

This week and playing for keeps Dixon has to do the job.

Dante if Dixon is considered a injury risk.

SPP is actually pretty good at making a contest and doesn't get pushed around.

Sweet is a lead ruck on the evidence of preseason games. I'd have him behind Dante at that as well.

This is an interesting one. I have no issues with rucking Dixon in the forward 50, but don’t think he should go into the middle for the same reason that Ratagolea should never ruck in the middle. If you’re going to use a part time ruck, you will need your best back 6. More chance of the ball coming out of the middle quickly. Whilst Dixon up forward forces oppositions to man up and prevents a defender who can kick drifting off.

The current go is Finlayson as the second ruck, but he has limited ruck craft and ability, the fact he is averaging 1.5 hitouts a game speaks volumes.

Visintini has huge potential, but like sweet, is more a first ruck than ruck-forwards. Whilst Scully and Marshall are forwards with zero ruck experience.

It may well be a gap in the list, not having a ruck/forward. But even if Port did, I’m not sure who out of Dixon (or Lord), Marshall and MG they will be replacing.

What happens if all the others are injured?

Unlikely but that's kind of the point of a depth chart.

We are sunk.

Ratugolea . Let's not confuse him and those around him. The back 6 just be the back 6 until they are well oiled machine.

Scully. Want him to be The Fish. Paul Salmon was a established mature forward before they threw him into the Ruck from memory?

Marshall. No. Just No. He's our best forward.

Worse happens Ollie and SPP and we play to a losing ruck.

I'd go...

Lord
Finlayson
Charlie Dixon
Visintini
Sweet
Scully
Ratagolea
Marshall
SPP

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad