Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still think we can find room on the list for a bit of cheap midfield depth. 2 of Setterfield, Stocker, Bytel, Ely Smith, Jed Anderson etc. to replace Francis and Ham.

If we assume Francis and Ham are out, we have 5 spots to fill on the list. If we bring in Bowes and 7, we end up with: Bowes, Pick 4, Pick 7, Pick 22 (either as is or upgraded before Davey bid) and A. Davey. That's 5.

Either we forgo our rookie pick (hard luck J.Davey) or we cut one of Brand or Eyre if wanting to add anyone else. That's the main thing turning me off a Stocker, Bytel etc. I'd prefer to draft a kid onto the list spot they'd be taking.

Give Bowes his 2 years at 800kpa. Offer him another 2 years on top at 500kpa. Works out to an average of 650kpa over 4. Quite generous imo and if anyone wants to beat the $ i think we should walk away.

GC will want future picks to match their academy players next year

Ess In Bowes, 7, 31
GC In F2, F3
Might be what is needed.

If we assume Francis and Ham are out, we have 5 spots to fill on the list. If we bring in Bowes and 7, we end up with: Bowes, Pick 4, Pick 7, Pick 22 (either as is or upgraded before Davey bid) and A. Davey. That's 5.

Either we forgo our rookie pick (hard luck J.Davey) or we cut one of Brand or Eyre if wanting to add anyone else. That's the main thing turning me off a Stocker, Bytel etc. I'd prefer to draft a kid onto the list spot they'd be taking.
Think we will have more than 5 spots?Hurley smith tippa have retired I’d say waterman ham Francis could go plus hird culter mcdonagh delisted

Not sure I’d be running the risk of J.Davey making it to the rookie draft. Even with the acl, the small forwards aren’t that impressive in this draft outside of the top 20 and there is a lot of need for them. Clubs know of his professionalism, they know his character and his skill set.

Think we will have more than 5 spots?Hurley smith tippa have retired I’d say waterman ham Francis could go plus hird culter mcdonagh delisted

Remember we took on Martin, Tex, Massimo and Menzies during the year. Eats into the retirements and delistings.

As it stands we have 33 main list, 5 cat A rookie, and one cat B. Open questions are whether Ham and Francis find new homes (hopefully, which brings main list to 31) and whether we re sign the likes of Eyre/Brand (probably, but others may disagree). I'm also assuming Durham has earned an upgrade to main list, which gets us back up to 32.

With that state of play, we have six spots left (not including cat B). If we trade in Bowes, that's 5 left, across both main and rookie drafts. Spend 'em wisely.

Just the length and price of the contract
I don’t know the rules exactly but that would seem ridiculous. I’d be interested to learn more about the specifics.
To me - to “match” a free agency bid on length and price but have whatever clauses you like isn’t actually matching the contract on length and price.
To give a hyperbole - Collingwood matches on length and price of contract but puts in a clause that if he doesn’t get 100 touches in round 1 2023 then the value of the contract is halved. That isn’t matching.
Similarly to the contract being revoked if behavioral issues arise - both clauses don’t actually match length and value.
I don’t know though.

I don’t know the rules exactly but that would seem ridiculous. I’d be interested to learn more about the specifics.
To me - to “match” a free agency bid on length and price but have whatever clauses you like isn’t actually matching the contract on length and price.
To give a hyperbole - Collingwood matches on length and price of contract but puts in a clause that if he doesn’t get 100 touches in round 1 2023 then the value of the contract is halved. That isn’t matching.
Similarly to the contract being revoked if behavioral issues arise - both clauses don’t actually match length and value.
I don’t know though.
You don't have to match the clauses, however, the AFLPA have shut down some of Collingwoods clauses

You would think Francis and ham will not be on the list.
it shows why Heppell should have been given the flick as well.
is Menzies safe?
you would have to persevere with brand and Eyre I reckon.

You don't have to match the clauses, however, the AFLPA have shut down some of Collingwoods clauses
im not sure where that would leave the Pies

Example - Dons offer same money and years, but no clauses
Pies counter-offer but some of the clauses remain
De Goey has 2 options, sign with the clauses he doesn't want, or go to the PSD.

it'd be quite the gamble for the Pies

That deal means that essentially, Bowes will be paid what he’s owed plus 300k/year for the last two years of the contract (lower than the average AFL salary). Not a great deal.

We should pay the 1.6m owed in 2023/24 plus add two years at 600k/season for the last two years.

I think you misread my post or I didn't write it clear, I'd pay the 800x2 and then offer and extra 3 years at 5-600.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im not sure where that would leave the Pies

Example - Dons offer same money and years, but no clauses
Pies counter-offer but some of the clauses remain
De Goey has 2 options, sign with the clauses he doesn't want, or go to the PSD.

it'd be quite the gamble for the Pies

Option 3: The destination club trades for said RFA player.

Which is exactly what manicpie has been saying, quite reasonably.

Collingwood have the cap space to match most offers given they're looking at offloading Grundy's wage, there's no AFL requirement for all the clauses to be the same, just a simple years x wage = value equation.

Collingwood say 'here's your $3m contract with behaviour clauses' and Essendon go 'we'll offer you $3m without them'. DeGoey says 'Essendon it is!'. Collingwood say 'no worries, he's an RFA, we're prepared to match that contract value; Essendon can trade for him, sign our contract with behaviour clauses, or off to the PSD and enjoy your time at North'.

Option 3: The destination club trades for said RFA player.

Which is exactly what manicpie has been saying, quite reasonably.

Collingwood have the cap space to match most offers given they're looking at offloading Grundy's wage, there's no AFL requirement for all the clauses to be the same, just a simple years x wage = value equation.

Collingwood say 'here's your $3m contract with behaviour clauses' and Essendon go 'we'll offer you $3m without them'. DeGoey says 'Essendon it is!'. Collingwood say 'no worries, he's an RFA, we're prepared to match that contract value; Essendon can trade for him, sign our contract with behaviour clauses, or off to the PSD and enjoy your time at North'.
I knew there was a 3rd option. its early and the coffee is still kicking in.

Bowes and 7 to Essendon. Parish to Geelong. Some of Geelong picks back to Suns.

Could that work?
Given the whole Bowes thing is meant to be a salary dump where they are offering pick 7 to take on the whole contract, we'd need a fair bit more back if we're giving up Parish.

Given the whole Bowes thing is meant to be a salary dump where they are offering pick 7 to take on the whole contract, we'd need a fair bit more back if we're giving up Parish.

I think the Gold Coast list manager has said they're not giving away 7 with Bowes. Given that, is 7 a fair trade for Parish (considering we'd get Bowes as well)? What would we get if Parish left next year as a free agent?

Bowes and 7 to Essendon. Parish to Geelong. Some of Geelong picks back to Suns.

Could that work?
I don't think we get enough back if we include Parish. It's a pity Geelong delisted Narkle. He could of been included to come to us MAYBE a late pick as well.

Edit, if they're not including pick 7 as per your post, then this idea could work.

I don't think we get enough back if we include Parish. It's a pity Geelong delisted Narkle. He could of been included to come to us MAYBE a late pick as well.

Edit, if they're not including pick 7 as per your post, then this idea could work.
If Ess really want Pork Narkle (now) they can now pick him up for nothing. He would add little value to a Parish proposed trade.

I think the Gold Coast list manager has said they're not giving away 7 with Bowes. Given that, is 7 a fair trade for Parish (considering we'd get Bowes as well)? What would we get if Parish left next year as a free agent?
So GC have recanted their position with pick #7? Or are they saying it's not for nothing. I'd imagine they be wanting some lower picks back for points, but if they just want a fair deal for pick 7, then why even attach it to the Bowes situation in the first place?

I hope we're looking to trade Parish, but I'd be doing that separately or getting more value back in that situation.

So GC have recanted their position with pick #7? Or are they saying it's not for nothing. I'd imagine they be wanting some lower picks back for points, but if they just want a fair deal for pick 7, then why even attach it to the Bowes situation in the first place?

I hope we're looking to trade Parish, but I'd be doing that separately or getting more value back in that situation.
from the transcript, they obviously want something in return (i.e its not trading the cap space purely for Bowes and 7), but I reckon if we got involved a deal where our F2 and F3 went to them for Bowes, 7 and 31/34

they line up points for the academy next year (and still take 3x top 40 picks this year) and free the cash up.
We give up a future raft of picks, but should enable 4x top 20 picks this year
combine 22 and GCS pick for Brisbane's 1st on top of a Davey bid + 4 & 7

I'd rather not trade Parish. too many unknowns.
Next year is probably the first non-interrupted batch of kids from Covid.
We could finish anywhere from 6th-last. His FA comp is too valuable to mess with
Scott is going to reshape a lot of what we do. Parish could end up working in a functional midfield as a damaging mid.

Weigh it up next year. Esp if there's a top 5 pick on the table via FA

from the transcript, they obviously want something in return (i.e its not trading the cap space purely for Bowes and 7), but I reckon if we got involved a deal where our F2 and F3 went to them for Bowes, 7 and 31/34

they line up points for the academy next year (and still take 3x top 40 picks this year) and free the cash up.
We give up a future raft of picks, but should enable 4x top 20 picks this year
combine 22 and GCS pick for Brisbane's 1st on top of a Davey bid + 4 & 7

I'd rather not trade Parish. too many unknowns.
Next year is probably the first non-interrupted batch of kids from Covid.
We could finish anywhere from 6th-last. His FA comp is too valuable to mess with
Scott is going to reshape a lot of what we do. Parish could end up working in a functional midfield as a damaging mid.

Weigh it up next year. Esp if there's a top 5 pick on the table via FA
Yeah my thinking is similar to this. However I do hope we are looking at trade opportunities for Parish this year, not to give him away, but only if something too good to refuse (eg something better than compo would be) comes up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back