Opinion AFL Sanctioned Cheating

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
With Dew being sacked and Dimma being the next GC Coach basically fait accompli, it has brought a question up in my mind. If Dimma is smart, he an his management will not jump at the first offer and will try and squeeze as big a contract as they can out of the Suns. Just smart business. But in this current day, if the AFL comes in and adds "Ambassadorial Duties" payments then that is just sanctioned cheating.

Any payments a player, coach or staff member (who falls under the soft cap) gets from the AFL has to be included under the soft cap for competition integrity. This isn't about AFL assistance either. I understand the my club along with the West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn etc. are not given as much AFL funding as say a North or Brisbane. That is external cash. This is about the rules that the AFL set for fair competition that they will actively break.

To be honest as well, I am not 100% where I land on the AFL/Clubs facilitating/using external sponsors like the Dusty/Puma? deal back in 17. If pushed I lean on the side of it probably not being fair because I ask "would a smaller club be able to facilitate the same type of deal" and I would probably say No to that. Though I am not wedded to my position on.

Poor buggers need all the help they can get. Let them have it if that's what it takes to get/keep decent players - it's nothing compared to the stack of gun academy kids they've got first dibs on.

Comma burnt out at the tigers … 4 weeks later …. Ready to coach at gcs.

He’s just traded in his busted list for a younger sexier version ….
Could be very well why he left us when he did. Had an understanding of what was about to happen? Who knows.

The gold coast are basically just a development pathway for young talented players to get to big victorian clubs anyway, so it all evens out in the end.

Can any Victorian Club, especially a MCG tennant club, ever talk about AFL sanctioned cheating with a straight face?
Can any non-Victorian club supporter ever post on BigFooty without tears in their eyes?

Let's be honest, they need to throw the bank at someone to get them in.
To any new coach it's a poisoned chalice, and they don't want a new coach anyway.
To a super successful coach a la Dimma or Clark, it's where you cash in on your golden reputation, and get paid a metric sh!t-tonne to have that reputation tarnished.

Let's be honest, they need to throw the bank at someone to get them in.
To any new coach it's a poisoned chalice, and they don't want a new coach anyway.
To a super successful coach a la Dimma or Clark, it's where you cash in on your golden reputation, and get paid a metric sh!t-tonne to have that reputation tarnished.
Well Dimma wouldn't be doing it for the money - he was pretty much on maximum wage at Tigerland.

Hope he gets the Suns gig though. For one, it'll give them a decent boost, but more importantly it's one less team in the same market as us for the best coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma burnt out at the tigers … 4 weeks later …. Ready to coach at gcs.

He’s just traded in his busted list for a younger sexier version ….
As Dimma was contracted till the end of 2024 with the Tigers, surely there'd be some sort of clause that he couldn't just rock up all of a sudden and be coaching a new team in 2023... does make you wonder.

Dog and Pony show, would not be surprised at all if this was AFL driven with potentially more leg ups for Gold Coast on offer if they swap Dew for Dimma.

Title was a giveaway that thread was started by a tigers supporter. Gosh vic club supporters have become entitled whiners haven’t they.

The afl will do what it needs to so that the competition can be successful.

With Dew being sacked and Dimma being the next GC Coach basically fait accompli, it has brought a question up in my mind. If Dimma is smart, he an his management will not jump at the first offer and will try and squeeze as big a contract as they can out of the Suns. Just smart business. But in this current day, if the AFL comes in and adds "Ambassadorial Duties" payments then that is just sanctioned cheating.

Any payments a player, coach or staff member (who falls under the soft cap) gets from the AFL has to be included under the soft cap for competition integrity. This isn't about AFL assistance either. I understand the my club along with the West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn etc. are not given as much AFL funding as say a North or Brisbane. That is external cash. This is about the rules that the AFL set for fair competition that they will actively break.

To be honest as well, I am not 100% where I land on the AFL/Clubs facilitating/using external sponsors like the Dusty/Puma? deal back in 17. If pushed I lean on the side of it probably not being fair because I ask "would a smaller club be able to facilitate the same type of deal" and I would probably say No to that. Though I am not wedded to my position on.

You are aware that large clubs do this, good. The large clubs have a huge advantage over the smaller clubs in terms of external cash and consideration (and Geelong is not a large club but I am aware they don't mind a deal on the side either).

Question though, say if Dimma becomes the Suns coach, wouldn't he be an ambassador for AFL footy in the Gold Coast? He would generate attention and media coverage and would help to increase the profile of the Suns. Isn't that what it is meant to be for?

Title was a giveaway that thread was started by a tigers supporter. Gosh vic club supporters have become entitled whiners haven’t they.

There was a thread earlier in the year from a tigers supporter complaining Geelong was too strong.

Funny how they start whining when they’re no longer any good.

Well Dimma wouldn't be doing it for the money - he was pretty much on maximum wage at Tigerland.

Hope he gets the Suns gig though. For one, it'll give them a decent boost, but more importantly it's one less team in the same market as us for the best coach.

Maximum wage at the Tigers is an entirely different thing to maximum wage as an AFL appointed coach of a failing expansion club my friend.

There was a thread earlier in the year from a tigers supporter complaining Geelong was too strong.

Funny how they start whining when they’re no longer any good.
I will reply to you both here because you roughly go down the same path.

This isnt about us being s**t or anything like that. The media was banging on about the Soft cap and how it is really low still and that it is forcing assistant coaches out of the game. With a soft cap, if the AFL are paying a coach outside of that soft cap then it is clearly cheating. I don't really care about outside payments from Toyota or Google but if it is being paid for by the AFL then it really is damaging what very little integrity the competition has.

You are aware that large clubs do this, good. The large clubs have a huge advantage over the smaller clubs in terms of external cash and consideration (and Geelong is not a large club but I am aware they don't mind a deal on the side either).

Question though, say if Dimma becomes the Suns coach, wouldn't he be an ambassador for AFL footy in the Gold Coast? He would generate attention and media coverage and would help to increase the profile of the Suns. Isn't that what it is meant to be for?
My point here is that the AFL shouldn't be footing that bill. If the AFL is paying him to be an Ambassador up there that cash should be part of their footy department spending. Otherwise why isn't Fagan, Longmire and Kingsly getting a piece of the pie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back