Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
This is not about what happens on the football field, it’s about the organisation that portrays themselves as the custodian of “OUR game. We all love our clubs and the game that is Aussie Rules, but the same cannot be said for the AFL. Since the inception of the AFL there has been nothing but loathe verging on hate. Why would any organisation want to be seen in this light? From the Greek to Gil and now to Dil the noise and smell is the same and the true custodians, us the fee paying public are treated with scorn and contempt. Is the AFL fit to be the body to represent our game?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

i think "they" have ceased being "the custodian" and see the AFL brand/game as a cash cow for themselves. Very much how religion is exploited.

Id like to see some reforms to the Commission to make it more of an independent guardian. For example, people like Richard Goyder have been in their positions too long and are very much there to better their own financial interests and that of their "mates".

Last edited:
Yep they are starting to take the piss when it comes to the fans I recon. These floating fixtures are bullshit and it makes it hard for people to plan. It's just about $$$$.

AFL are doing some good things like being proactive about head injuries (but one suspects this is all about arse covering), promoting women's football, and building the game in QLD and NSW.

The problem is the use the 'competition' as a tool for their higher aims of $$$ and growth, and as such that competition is compromised.

I worry that there are too many teams in the one comp. There will be even longer premiership droughts, and we will get lower quality play with players spread across too many teams.

This is not about what happens on the football field, it’s about the organisation that portrays themselves as the custodian of “OUR game. We all love our clubs and the game that is Aussie Rules, but the same cannot be said for the AFL. Since the inception of the AFL there has been nothing but loathe verging on hate. Why would any organisation want to be seen in this light? From the Greek to Gil and now to Dil the noise and smell is the same and the true custodians, us the fee paying public are treated with scorn and contempt. Is the AFL fit to be the body to represent our game?

This is starting to go way over the top and becoming very melodramatic.

Would you have 'honestly' started this thread if you had won on Saturday ?.

The umps made a mistake - they admitted it.

Once they purchased the media and still to this day I have no idea how this happened all was lost.

The media and the fans were once on the same team, no sporting league could just change rules and do as they please without their fans approval.
But the AFL and the media are now one team and have been for 25 years and hence they have a free licence to do as they please with out any say from their fans.

The AFl could start using a round ball tomorrow and the media will back them in that it's the right thing to do.

As their is no independent media that covers the sport the fans have no say at all other than not attend or watch. They won't do either of those things because they foolishly believe their clubs need them. Which of course the AFL sold to them via their corrupt media partners.

Honestly, it just sounds like you're being a sore loser.

This is starting to go way over the top and becoming very melodramatic.

Would you have 'honestly' started this thread if you had won on Saturday ?.

The umps made a mistake - they admitted it.

If this is some umpy "over east" conspiracy by the OP then I disagree with that.

If you read my opening, it’s not about what happens on the field. The trend is every team at some point is going to be stiffed at some stage going forward. So you honestly think the AFL has all the requirements to be an organisation of integrity?

As for Goyder, he and his leprechaun mate drove my former employer into being the most despised company in the country and he heads up the AFL. I’m embarrassed that the plonker was ever associated with Fremantle.

I've come to dislike the AFL since ~2016.

The organisation reeks of contempt for the fans who form the backbone of the game.

The integrity is at an all time low. Without priority picks and/or father sons too many clubs will struggle to be consistently competitive.

The fixture is abominable and does not look to be getting any better.

Umpiring is below the standard and getting worse. One of their stated priorities is to make them more 'diverse'. Sure.

The review system blew past its remit 5 years ago and is steadily getting more bloated with next to no advancement in objectively better technology.

At the heart of it, is a failure to understand on their part that we only care about the actual football. I couldn't give a stuff about all the extra fluff. Pare it back to players running out into the field for 4 quarters and I will still turn up or tune in.

The main thing should be the main thing.

All they care about is money. The integrity of the competition is secondary.
I don't think it's the money per se, but money allows them to put it into the parts of the game they want to promote.

You're spot on with the downgrade of integrity though. It should always be the main priority of a sporting league, and it's taken a hell of a hit which started with Demetriou.

Luke Darcy just came out and admitted it in his attack on Kane Cornes. Once you make it to the top of AFL admin and media it's supposed to be the ultimate boys club where money and power are shuffled into your hands and you are protected for life mafia style. But Cornes upset the apple cart going a bit too hard at newest member Trent Cotchin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money is more important than anything else now. They literally dont care what happens with the game so long as the short term money comes in.

Would the game be worse if more focus was put on quality and not revenue? To start, ban all gambling money, gambling ads, and anything else to do with gambling. The AFL wont, so why isnt the Government? Why are they okay with little kids being bombarded with gambling ads?

We restrict alcohol ads, and banned cigarette ads because of their influence, but a nation of gamblers is okay?

Luke Darcy just came out and admitted it in his attack on Kane Cornes. Once you make it to the top of AFL admin and media it's supposed to be the ultimate boys club where money and power are shuffled into your hands and you are protected for life mafia style. But Cornes upset the apple cart going a bit too hard at newest member Trent Cotchin
Spot on, Im not a Kane fan, but everyone is entitled to an opinion and Luke simply highlighted the boys club that happens in AFL media - Trent took his turn on the field, he is more than capable of handling himself. At least Kane doesnt sit on the "dont upset anyone fence" that Luke and his friends have sat on for years.

I don't think it's the money per se, but money allows them to put it into the parts of the game they want to promote.

You're spot on with the downgrade of integrity though. It should always be the main priority of a sporting league, and it's taken a hell of a hit which started with Demetriou.

It's definitely money otherwise they'd have a rotating fixture. But nah the 'blockbusters' have to happen twice every single year.

Only have to look at 'round zero' this year to see how stupid it's become.

Once they purchased the media and still to this day I have no idea how this happened all was lost.

The media and the fans were once on the same team, no sporting league could just change rules and do as they please without their fans approval.
But the AFL and the media are now one team and have been for 25 years and hence they have a free licence to do as they please with out any say from their fans.

The AFl could start using a round ball tomorrow and the media will back them in that it's the right thing to do.

As their is no independent media that covers the sport the fans have no say at all other than not attend or watch. They won't do either of those things because they foolishly believe their clubs need them. Which of course the AFL sold to them via their corrupt media partners.

Seven’s reputation on how they do business is out in the open (Spotlight n Bruce Lehrmann). Did the Commission receive inducement? In that this question is even asked shows the amount of faith/trust people have in the AFL.

Money is more important than anything else now. They literally dont care what happens with the game so long as the short term money comes in.

Would the game be worse if more focus was put on quality and not revenue? To start, ban all gambling money, gambling ads, and anything else to do with gambling. The AFL wont, so why isnt the Government? Why are they okay with little kids being bombarded with gambling ads?

We restrict alcohol ads, and banned cigarette ads because of their influence, but a nation of gamblers is okay?

Of course they do. Same with the players and the AFLPA. This is AFL Pty Ltd, and its subsidiaries Adelaide Pty Ltd, Brisbane Pty Ltd, Carlton Pty Ltd, Collingwood Pty Ltd and so on.

Collingwood's disgusting money grab after the flag only confirms the focus of the governing bodies. Screening a documentary through Hoyts rather than simply airing it on Fox / Ch 7.

Of course they do. Same with the players and the AFLPA. This is AFL Pty Ltd, and its subsidiaries Adelaide Pty Ltd, Brisbane Pty Ltd, Carlton Pty Ltd, Collingwood Pty Ltd and so on.

Collingwood's disgusting money grab after the flag only confirms the focus of the governing bodies. Screening a documentary through Hoyts rather than simply airing it on Fox / Ch 7.

They did the Premiership video at the cinema instead of Fox ?!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back