Opinion AFL 2024 Round 4 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Couple of brilliant games to finish the round! Tigers and Saints had some great moments and then what an great comeback from the Hawks to just fall short against Collingwood.

Learnt - The Magpies still look to be really battling. Bogey side or not, they shouldn't be struggling to put that young and undermanned Hawthorn team away.

Hated - I've said it before but what is the point of having on-field goal umps if they never back themselves to make a decision? Way too many reviews killing the momentum of the game.

Liked -gather round- went over there and had a great time. Works brilliantly in Adelaide- perfect venue. Looking forward to next year already. Really enjoyed going to the double header- keep that concept.
Learnt- it’s a very open season.
Hated-umm

Liked:
Gather Round being a resounding success
Some cracking finishes to the round!
Harley Reid - he is going to be something special (and the Eagles putting up a fight as well)

Learnt:
While they won't make finals (too many injuries and too much inexperience), Richmond will trouble some teams looking to make it
It's hard to pinpoint a flag favourite at this point - there's about 7-8 sides that can win it (I'm still including the reigning Grand Finalists in that despite their starts to the season)

Hated:
I said it last week and I'll say it again - constant score reviews, especially those that are a clear metre over the goal line. Have the guts to make a call or just make goal umpires redundant
Kayo. Shat itself with 40 seconds left in the Pies-Hawks game and it's not the first time it's done it at the end of a close game either. It did the same in the Blues-Tigers finish. The wake-up call to finally unsubscribe from that s**t, $35 for a month for a piece of s**t service can heck off.

Liked: Gather round is a great concept, so many themed rounds are rubbish but this is just a great festival of footy.

Learnt: rebuilds are done, regeneration and retaining the right older players is the future

Hated: umpiring. Too many poor decisions, too many reviews. Let’s go back to 3 on field umpires please.

Liked: Mitchell finally putting Hardwick forward.

Learnt: Melbourne are the proper battle hardened team required to win the flag. Hawthorn need to stop giving teams a 5 or more goal start.

Hated: Constant and needless Goal reviews. Umpires are influencing to many matches not just talking about the Freo/Carlton match but I've seen 5 or 6 teams this year get absolutely shafted this year

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked Ginnivan has a head
Learnt it took the umpires and media years to notice the BS decisions on Ginnivan
Hated The umpires finally gave him a soft free because of public pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hated,

"Time on" is getting out of hand with quarters now going into the 35 minute mark at frequent occurrences. 30 second waits between goals and excessive score reviews is getting ridiculous. Imagine if a stretcher event also occurred in this quarter, it would have gone longer than a half of Rugby.

Loved,

Gather Round, what a ripper of a weekend. Felt so much state pride on what was on offer to the footy world. Still lots of room for improvement. Cant wait for season 3.

JHF immediate return and impact, freeing up Rozee and Butters to do their thing. Rozee taking the captaincy roll by the scruff of the neck.

Learnt,

Still not sure double headers are a good solution. Split the games & reset the stadium is a better option.

Liked: JHF breakout game and absolute demolition through the centre. We’ve seen him do that for periods but that was his breakout moment.

Learnt: The umpires have lost all ability to make a call. It’s at an all time low and it’s just baffling how bad they are this year.

Hated: The media love fest over Carlton. They’ve won 3 games by 10 points and under, all of which they were losing for long periods and if we’re being honest, probably should have lost all 3. They could very well have been 1-3. They need to be showing a lot more to warrant the love fest they are receiving.

Liked: Gather round is a great idea, i just hope the AFL don't overkill it.

Learnt: Even after the Gil era coming to a close, the AFL still love a good cover up. The Freo v Blues ending was dreadful.

Hated: Pies and Blues winning, it always tarnishes my weekend.

Last edited:
Liked:
Gather Round being a resounding success
Some cracking finishes to the round!
Harley Reid - he is going to be something special (and the Eagles putting up a fight as well)

Learnt:
While they won't make finals (too many injuries and too much inexperience), Richmond will trouble some teams looking to make it
It's hard to pinpoint a flag favourite at this point - there's about 7-8 sides that can win it (I'm still including the reigning Grand Finalists in that despite their starts to the season)

Hated:
I said it last week and I'll say it again - constant score reviews, especially those that are a clear metre over the goal line. Have the guts to make a call or just make goal umpires redundant
Kayo. Shat itself with 40 seconds left in the Pies-Hawks game and it's not the first time it's done it at the end of a close game either. It did the same in the Blues-Tigers finish. The wake-up call to finally unsubscribe from that s**t, $35 for a month for a piece of s**t service can * off.
Re KAYO - I've found that changing the settings from 4K to HD completely fix any lagging problems I had with it.
Couldn't really tell any quality difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back