Opinion AFL 2024 Round 3 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked - Melbourne’s win in Adelaide. They were slick around clearances (especially late in the game when it mattered) and that poor old forward line that gets its head kicked in whenever the Dees lose trucked along just fine. They look a better side this season than the last couple; definitely one of the contenders.

Learnt - Deary me we’re in for some wretched umpiring this year, and I say that as somebody who rarely complains about it. I don’t think it cost anybody a win this weekend (others are welcome to disagree) but there are some monstrous decisions in games at the moment and consistency is non-existent.

Re-Learnt - There are no easy matches. A lot of us Swans supporters went into today thinking it would be a walk in the park but we got a rude shock from a team that was harder at it all afternoon. Won’t be the last time the Tigers ambush a well-fancied team this year either, was impressed by what I saw.

Hated - The injury to Tom Lynch. Love seeing the gun players out there doing their thing, and he’s missed more than his fair share of games through injury in the last 12 months. Really hope it’s not too serious for the big fella.

Like: We have lots of guys coming in to play

Learnt: BF mods easily forget there’s still one game to play for the Round and they already are doing LLH without the Round finishing.

Hated: That we come up against a Hawks team that played like garbage in Round 2. We need to get a hot start or they’ll be up and about.

Liked - big crowds overall. Matt Hill - stands out from the dross at Ch7 and Fox (with the exception of Jason Bennett, Adam Papalia, Anthony Hudson (if he's not going for the one-liner for all-time) and Alastair Nicholson (although can be over-the-top)).

Learnt - Swans backline is suspect without Rampe. Nick Vlastuin played a similar role - was BOG and was the difference between winning and losing.

Hated - Inconsistent interpretation of HTB. Sometimes within the same game. Ex-players commentating their former teams. Jack Riewoldt was disgraceful. BT is always a shocker when he calls Collingwood games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: The $3 on offer about Collingwood early in the week.

Learnt: Tex is cooked, Lions can't win anything with Hipwood in their 22, Port won't win a flag with their current rucks & Dixon up forward.
& the swans lack quality big men.

Hated: The boundary umpires and meaningless goal reviews AND the commentary during the Dogs/Eagles game....

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked:
Bombers Dees Tiges made it a pretty good weekend of footy. Guts and determination, pressure, tackling, coming to the fore.

Hated:
The AFL thinking we'd swallow their BS.

Liked:
Winning late. mcGrath and Heppell putting in shifts to shut critics like me up.
Dees footy.
My keeper league team with some big boosts from Martin, gawn and Taranto.

Learnt: going early on this but 2024 might be the year the AFL addresses the umps. Media is really starting to get vocal on it

Hated: too much coverage of players personal lives. Does anyone really give a s**t.
Also whoever that prick was that drove past Eddie's house. Please heck right off

Liked - Carlton
Learnt - That we’re a lock for the flag
Hated - That we’ve gotta wait 20+ weeks to get our trophy
I've learnt that GWS and Melbourne might be good enough to bring pain to Carlton come finals time. Sorry but I think those are the best two sides.

Learnt: going early on this but 2024 might be the year the AFL addresses the umps. Media is really starting to get vocal on it
I have noticed this to. Real strange that the commentators and more regular journalists are starting to make comments on the umpiring and the state of it. On the back of "The Boys Club" the AFL is not above revoking AFL credentials to those that go against the "Status quo".

I learned this Round that Sydney's big men are about 1 season away from being a trusted finals threat.

Post your liked, Learnted, and Hateded (early bird edition)
Wait a second I never said this!!

Learnt - That wily scoundrel Chief likes misquoting people!

Liked - Carlton’s win, because if I don’t say that he’ll just edit my post to include it anyway

We touched up Melbourne last year in September and they are worse in 2024.

GWS? You’ll find out in a couple of weeks.
"Touched up" is probably a stretch given the margin and how many behinds the Dees kicked. I reckon Melbourne is better this year than last year as well.

More daring ball movement, a better forward line, and the same rock-solid defence.

Liked - Papley’s desperation

Learnt - The young Swans like bathwater

Hated - Seeing the selection of Lloyd fail again.

Liked - Imogen and the rest of the kids during the Good Friday game

Learnt - Eagles are in for some heavy defeats this year, records will tumble

Hated - Umpiring during Good Friday was terrible and biased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back