Player Watch #30 Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Looks AFL standard but is hardly setting the world on fire. Looks like he will become a solid player though
I think that any opinions about him are premature. He may become a star. He had an injury riddled first couple of years that stifled his development. No one knows where his current trajectory will take him. All we know is he has some exquisite skills and height and so certainly has some traits that put him ahead of quite a few already.

Pick #17 he doesnt need to be a star (defenders usually dont )
But if he becomes a Vlastuin for me thats a star in my book
Did anyone think Rance would become one of the greatest ever backline players after his first two years? No. Nobody knows how good this kid will be just yet. Could be solid. Could be a superstar. Too early to tell.

Pick #17 he doesnt need to be a star (defenders usually dont )
But if he becomes a Vlastuin for me thats a star in my book
100% agree, my comment was more in relation to the over top praise.

Brown's development has been a real credit to him and the coaching staff, one of the highlights of the season so far.

He's already winning way more than his share of contests, his reading of the ball and play is well above his experience level, his disposal is above average and he's got a football brain which automatically looks to maximise his effectiveness going the other way.

He's done lock down jobs well, he's already proving dangerous to the opposition if they let him get freed up. A really pesky match-up in a (full strength) backline like ours with good combinations of offense and defense.

Can't wait to see how he handles a midfield rotation down the track. :thumbsu:

Van Rooyen was very good today. Better than TB has ever played, in a much harder position.

I'd still be taking JVR if I had the choice.
Agree. Brown the better athlete but JVR looks like a serious old school type of forward. Has good hands, reads the play well and a nice kick. Is slow off the mark though. Not a wasted pick by the Tigers taking Brown but JVR would have filled a bigger need

Amazing how differently we all see things. I see him play and think he oozes class in everything he does. Think he’ll be a star

Some people maybe underestimate how few non-stars there are on our 200+ gamer list.

And how much class it takes to be discussed among them 12 games into your career. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he looks a player, but man, the praise in here seems far too much at this stage for me.
Which then leads to issues where he either can't be criticised or he becomes a whipping boy when expectations don't equal performance

Amazing how differently we all see things. I see him play and think he oozes class in everything he does. Think he’ll be a star
Well I hope you are right and I am not haha

Some people maybe underestimate how few non-stars there are on our 200+ gamer list.

And how much class it takes to be discussed among them 12 games into your career. ;)

Guess it depends what people determine to be a star. Personally I think the term is thrown around way too much.

Is it coincidence that the Dees midfield has been really poor ever since he took over as midfield coach? 🤔
Think their best mid getting off his "vitamins" has had a fair bit to do with it

Did anyone think Rance would become one of the greatest ever backline players after his first two years? No. Nobody knows how good this kid will be just yet. Could be solid. Could be a superstar. Too early to tell.

Disagree that he may only be a ‘solid’ player. Will be somewhere from very good to elite. He has played only a dozen or so games, and it’s already clear from his decision making, interceptions, kicking skills, athleticism and height he will be very good, and I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t turn out to be an outstanding player.

Doesn’t mean he won’t have a few ups and downs prior to 40-games as all young players have, but we should be very excited about this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30 Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back