VFL Round 14 v Carlton, Sunday June 30, 12:00pm AEST, Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty to work with , I watched about 30min worth , looked to be blowing pretty hard which you’d expect as he was a PT footballer a month ago . Reckon he will get a crack at it before the years out , really attacks the footy hard , the coaches would love that
To quote Steve Morris after today game
“He’s made a really big impression since arriving at the club and he is knocking on the door for selection “

Am surprised that he was t picked up in MSD, looks like he knows what he’s doing out there
I think Garner could be a perfect replacement for Graham & we could rookie list him. Which would be very good insurance why the kids we draft next season are given time to get up to speed with the AFL & get there bodies ready.

Anyone else think that yassine could be a good rookie shot , might thrive in FT footy environment. Really quick , would like a bit more involvement ,one to watch , Liam George too , only a kid just out of school prob needs another 12m at VFL to build himself up , has good skills
He would be second to MRJ as our small forwards. I don’t rate any other of our smalls although Green dined out in the last quarter today. I’m still not sold on him and need to see more. Yassine has that high initial acceleration where he puts his head down , arches the back and takes off. He stood out today and I would love him on the list. Plus he has good skills and a smart footy head. Rarely wastes it.

Last edited:
Anyone else think that yassine could be a good rookie shot , might thrive in FT footy environment. Really quick , would like a bit more involvement ,one to watch , Liam George too , only a kid just out of school prob needs another 12m at VFL to build himself up , has good skills
Nahh too slow for afl we have enough of them already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only got to watch the highlights but it looks like Cumbo did some really good stuff through the middle. Thoughts?
Was coming up to stoppage a lot more in a role similar to Dusty at AFL level. Seems to be a lot more suited to this role than playing as a defensive key forward.

I thought it was a very good response by Cumberland. Took a while to get involved but provided good pressure all game. His last Q was exactly what you wanted and had a hand in most of our score involvements in the last. Was given licence to play the high half forward role and if he was to play 4 Q's like that a few weeks in a row would surely be a better bet than Graham in that role. Play like that for a few weeks and he should be back.

Lachlan Wilson (34 disposals, 16 contested possessions, six inside-50s, five tackles, six clearances)

“Lachlan was outstanding on the day with 34 possessions and five tackles. He was in and under and his clean hands really stood out in wet conditions, and he had 11 disposals in the last quarter when the game was on the line.”

Joel Garner (28 disposals, 14 contested possessions, five marks, seven inside-50s, six clearances, six hit-outs)

“Joel was brilliant in the midfield but also outstanding as a second ruck. We threw all 184 centimetres of him into the ruck, and he had a huge impact on how the game panned out.”

Thomson Dow (26 disposals, 17 contested possessions, 77% disposal efficiency, three inside-50s, three tackles, eight clearances)

“It was fantastic to see Thomson come back to VFL level and really play above the level straight away. He led the team for clearances and had five centre bounce clearances, which is an outstanding result.”

Liam George (24 disposals, three marks, six inside-50s, two goals)

“A young kid in our program who continues to really do some special things as a 19-year-old. He had 24 disposals and two goals on the day and his clean hands and run really did stand out

Matthew Coulthard (24 disposals, four marks, three rebound-50s, four tackles, three clearances, one goal)

“It was fantastic to see Matty bounce back to somewhere near his best. He was huge for us in the first quarter and really got the ball rolling for us as a team and his work rate throughout the day stood out.”

Thomas Brindley (20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 90% disposal efficiency, six marks, three rebound-50s)

“Brindley played down back and was ever reliable. His aerial power was fantastic against a formidable Carlton forward line, and he led the team with 11 intercept possessions.”

Sam Davidson (19 disposals, three tackles, three goals)

“Sam continued his fantastic form in season 2024. He continues to go from strength to strength. He kicked three goals late when the game was on the line, but some of his one-percent efforts were a highlight.”

Noah Cumberland (17 disposals, six inside-50s, six tackles, three clearances)

“Noah had a really quiet first half. He had just the three disposals at half time, but it was great to see him bounce back in the second half when the game was on the line with 14 second half disposals. His ball use going inside-50 was outstanding and it was pleasing to see him lead the team with six tackles.”

James Trezise (16 disposals, 88% disposal efficiency, six rebound-50s)

“James once again showed the sort of form that he is in. He just continued to get the job done throughout the day. A few times in the last quarter when we were under the pump he was in one-on-one contests and was able to halve or win those contests and get the ball going back our way to help shift momentum in the game.”

Austin Johnson (16 disposals, four marks, three rebound-50s)

“Austin went back to local level last week and had 41 disposals and a couple of goals. He continued his good form at VFL level on the weekend, and he's just such a reliable player who understands our structures and our system so well. We're lucky to have Austin and his leadership in our group.”

Steely Green (14 disposals, 86% disposal efficiency, four inside-50s, five goals)

“Steely's had a frustrating month, I would say. But it was super pleasing to see him get the reward that he really did deserve. He continues to run the patterns that we ask of him as a high half-forward, and it was great to see him get rewarded particularly in the second half of the game, finishing with five goals. His finishing in front of goal was something that we were really pleased with.”

Campbell Gray (14 disposals, five marks, four goals, three hit-outs)

“Campbell once again showed that he is going to be a player of the future for this club. He utilized his athleticism and his ability at ground level to hit the scoreboard heavily with four goals. Extremely disappointing to find out that he will be missing a big chunk of the season now with a hamstring injury, but Richmond fans can be very excited for what's to come in his career.”

Nick Collier (14 disposals, three rebound-50s, four tackles)

“I feel like I say this every week, but Nick is just such a reliable member of our team. He is a young player that does absolutely everything that's asked of him in his role. He played both forward and back on the weekend and excelled in both positions.”

Harry Scott (14 disposals, seven contested possessions, four tackles)

“Harry’s a young midfielder who is doing a great job in his first season of senior footy at this level. He is tough and the conditions suited him on the weekend, and he's playing a valuable role in our midfield.”

Kaleb Smith (13 disposals, three rebound-50s, two inside-50s)

“Kaleb played the first three quarters down back before being held over for the AFL game later that afternoon. It wasn't his best game, but if that's the baseline of Kaleb's performance, then I think he is in a pretty good spot moving forward. His defensive work was up to standard, and he just didn't have the offensive impact that he's been having over the past couple of months, mainly due to the weather conditions, but he is in outstanding form.”

Tom McCarthy (12 disposals, 75% disposal efficiency, five marks)

“Tom has been playing in our midfield for the majority of the year. We threw him back and he really looked at home in our back line straight away. He had a number of fantastic efforts, and his versatility is something that we really appreciate in his game.”

Oliver Hayes-Brown (12 disposals, eight contested possessions, six clearances, 12 hit-outs)

“Yet another step forward for Ollie. He's getting great opportunities coming up against some seasoned ruckmen that have been playing at this level for quite some time. He will get the opportunity to learn from that game on the weekend as he steps forward in his progression as a footballer.”

Jacob Bauer (10 disposals, six rebound-50s, two marks)

“I thought Jacob was on track for an outstanding game before he went down with a rib injury early in the third quarter. His game was based on the basics, and I thought he executed the basics really well in the first half. I'm really pleased with the way he approached his game on the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that version of Jacob Bauer moving forward.”

Matthew Clarkson (10 disposals, four rebound-50s, two tackles)

“Clarko used the ball well, was clean in tough conditions, and I thought he was really strong in contest down back in what was a pleasing display for him.”

Nick Guiney (nine disposals, four contested possessions, two inside-50s)

“Nick is a versatile player for us who has played a fair bit on the wing but went down back and played quite deep on the weekend due to necessity. He was once again a really strong part of our back six or seven. We know that Nick is one player that we can certainly rely upon each and every week.”

Mohammad Yassine (eight disposals, 88% disposal efficiency, three marks)

“Mohammad had some really important moments on the weekend whilst his numbers weren't high on the stat sheet. He had a big impact on the game, and I think his running patterns were really solid and he played a role in a number of our scoring chains.”

Cam Olden (seven disposals, two marks, five tackles)

“Once again, whilst Cam didn't impact the stat sheet in a huge way, it was pleasing to see him have five tackles on the day and a couple of really solid contests which helped get the ball moving our way. I still feel as though he's got some real upside in the second half of this season and he's a very important player for us. His energy is infectious and he's a much-loved player in our group.”

Liam Thomas (two disposals, one mark, one tackle)

“Liam's had a couple of games at VFL level now and it was another opportunity for him to learn his craft coming up against some really seasoned AFL key defenders. He is a work in progress as a young 20-year-old key forward who we feel has real upside. He's just got to continue to lean into these learning opportunities because I think he can be a real player in time.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back