Game Day 2024 brownlow medal

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t remember the last time I watched that event live. I used to watch it when Judd and Swan were winning. I think I stopped watching the year after Dusty won.

The award is such a joke. The same people making blatant mistakes every week are voting for the best player on the ground? Miss me with that.

At least the Coleman medal is based on facts. The coaches votes and the Norm Smith are voted on by people that are actually watching the game. Even if I don’t trust the judgement of everyone involved, at least I can say that they watched the game. The umpires should not be voting for the most “prestigious” H&A season award IMO. Cripps with 45 votes? Daicos with 38 votes? Bontempelli with only 19 votes? Laughable.

I stopped watching when they got rid of Bruce. If he ain’t sniffing a guys head when interviewing him, I’m not interested.

Bontempelli got 82% of the coaches votes of Cripps. But only 42% of the brownlow votes cripps got. Ok, 2 different voting systems, but they are applied to the same performances.

In 2024, Cripps got 40% as many Brownlow votes as Coaches votes, which seems really high to me.

The corresponding percentages for each Brownlow winner back to when Coaches votes started in 2005 surprised me somewhat.

Highest to lowest:

42.5% Swan 2011
42% Judd 2010
40% Cripps 2024
38% Bartel 2008
37.5% Fyfe 2019, Priddis 2014
36% Wines 2021
34% Cripps 2022, Neale 2023, Watson 2012
33% Cooney 2008, Neale 2020
32% Mitchell 2018
31% Fyfe 2015
29% Martin 2017, Ablett 2009, Ablett 2013, Dangerfield 2016, Goodes 2006
22% Cousins 2005

So Cousins is a massive outlier on the low side here, the coaches have rated him way higher than the umps. There is a big group between 29% and 34%, this looks like the normal range, with 12 of the 20 Brownlow winners in that range. It is something of a shock to me there are bigger high side outliers than Cripps, the 2 results that were, shall we say, great surprises, when Judd and Swan won each others Brownlows in consecutive years.

Nobody bets on coaches votes. So if there was anything properly dodgy going on it would be with the Brownlow. The 3 clubs represented amongst the big high side outliers - Carlton x 2, Collingwood and Geelong. The clubs with all the connections.

Not sure what to make of it all or even if it is telling us much. But it is certainly surprising to me Cripps 2024 is not even in the top 2 %'s of Browlow votes compared to coaches votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 brownlow medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back