Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to shave his head. He is a reverse Samson sort of bloke. Go the Scott Brown at Celtic look.

Slightly more serious comment:
just read back through the first 5 pages and we thought we were getting a Cunnington with a bit of pace (though a few said more a Swallow but better by foot). I'm not really sure what we've got with Will. Seems a solid citizen type that just hasn't been able to establish himself in the competition. Clearly the Glandular fever, interrupted pre-seasons, covid, a historically poor performing team, regular changes of coach etc can all be combined to explain why he hasn't made a solid impact. He did show some good signs last year, especially in a few mid-season games (29 touches v Coll, 27 and a goal against *). But we certainly haven't seen that player yet this year; admittedly he's only played 2 games but a combined 22 touches and being subbed out in one of the games against two teams with arguably weaker midfields isn't the best start.

Will he make it? Maybe, maybe not. But if it was up to me I'd play him in a good block of games and just tell him 'we are backing you in, relax and go out there and show us what you can bring to the team. When you get the chance then take the game on, when you can't get the ball then tackle like a mad bastard' etc.

Could not agree more. We can afford to allow him that extended opportunity, because the dice is cast this year insofar as where we are headed. Which is another wooden spoon, unless a miracle happens.

It may be that the judges back in 2020 got it totally wrong and he is nowhere near the player people thought. But it is also easier in hindsight. Let's at least give him some games and if it doesn't work out for him then we all move on.

Just revisited Cal Twomey's Phantom Draft for 2020 and he rated him at Pick 6 and to be drafted by the Suns. Here is his rating.

WILL PHILLIPS

POS: Midfielder
Ht 180cm, Wt 80kg, DOB 22/5/02
From Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has been viewed as a top-10 player in this year's group for some time now, having starred for Vic Metro at the under-16s championships and then last year averaging 22 disposals and four tackles in the NAB League. Phillips is a midfield bull who extracts the ball at will, is sharp by hand and can also push forward and hit the scoreboard. He's tough, consistent and ready to play, and has been closely monitored throughout this season by clubs with early selections.

Some of the comments on here are down right embarrassing, you are talking about a 21 year old kid who has multiple setbacks which have been out of his control.

He is a quality kid who is struggling for confidence at the moment. He has shown glimpses of his talent but it may just be the case he doesn't make it, but he won't die wondering. Lordy knows there are multiple kids picked in the top 5 who don't. SPS, Toumpas, O'Rourke etc. It happens.

Just revisited Cal Twomey's Phantom Draft for 2020 and he rated him at Pick 6 and to be drafted by the Suns. Here is his rating.

WILL PHILLIPS

The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has been viewed as a top-10 player in this year's group for some time now, having starred for Vic Metro at the under-16s championships and then last year averaging 22 disposals and four tackles in the NAB League. Phillips is a midfield bull who extracts the ball at will, is sharp by hand and can also push forward and hit the scoreboard. He's tough, consistent and ready to play, and has been closely monitored throughout this season by clubs with early selections.
I hate Cal Twomey.

WILL PHILLIPS

Problem with draft profiles is that they speak of a player playing against a year and a half of talented players. in the AFL it is more like 12 years worth.

If you watch College football in the States, the QB's are the biggest stars usually in that system, and have been for 7-8 years. But you are lucky if you hit on 2-3 each draft. There is a big difference between the pathway and the big show.

WILL PHILLIPS

His dimensions have not and we’re not going to change.
He was a man playing against boys, now he’s a man playing against men

His dimensions have not and we’re not going to change.
He was a man playing against boys, now he’s a man playing against men
What the???? Nah. His and everyone’s else drafted that year had their final underage footy year ruined by covid. Perhaps if they actually played in 2020 it would have revelled his weaknesses. Or perhaps it would have propelled his development further. 2020 is going to be viewed as as very weak draft year overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem with draft profiles is that they speak of a player playing against a year and a half of talented players. in the AFL it is more like 12 years worth.

If you watch College football in the States, the QB's are the biggest stars usually in that system, and have been for 7-8 years. But you are lucky if you hit on 2-3 each draft. There is a big difference between the pathway and the big show.

year of the roo

lol there are some dead set awful calls in here.

Come on man. Will or his family has clearly done something to you personally or firebombed a business or something, but even you can admit there's nothing soft about Will. He might be in the slowish side, and he might be small, but the thing he is good at is extracting contested footy and tackling. He is not soft by any conceivable or measurable metric. Garbage call.

Elsewhere, for whatever reason (and I think there are plenty) it appears Will may not have the career he was hoping for at North, or that we were hoping for. Nobody from that draft has probably lived up to the expectations that were placed on them at the time. I still have hope that Will can carve out a place in our midfield and contribute to the development of our younger players as they come through and get his career back on track. If he doesn't, it will be a bloody shame, but you won't find me crowing on the football discussion website about how I was right all along or it's a good thing that Will is f***ing s**t or whatever.
Live and have grown up on the opposite side of the country to Will. Won't find me In the mcdonald and Stephen's threads, only reason I push my case is that for some reason people seem to rate or defend the kid. He's no good and that's okay! We move on. It's not an agenda. He will be playing bush footy next year, he'll still have accomplished more than any of us.

Some of the comments on here are down right embarrassing, you are talking about a 21 year old kid who has multiple setbacks which have been out of his control.

He is a quality kid who is struggling for confidence at the moment. He has shown glimpses of his talent but it may just be the case he doesn't make it, but he won't die wondering. Lordy knows there are multiple kids picked in the top 5 who don't. SPS, Toumpas, O'Rourke etc. It happens.
We are running a football club. heck me, I'd like to win a few games. That is dependent on getting some of the draft right!!

Yep, but turn's out he's no good. Can we stop getting angry at people who shared this view?

It's easiest thing in the world to share a hindsight view.

I knew Collingwood would win last year's flag. And Geelong would win the one before that. They were so obvious, how could anyone not know? Don't get angry with me for being right, just chill dude.

I knew Collingwood would win last year's flag. And Geelong would win the one before that. They were so obvious, how could anyone not know? Don't get angry with me for being right, just chill dude.
Think you missed the point. I'm not on here ragging out on our player's 24/7. We've got a list full of s**t campaigners, for whatever reason people are keen to defend Will. He's no good, never was and never will be. I'm looking forward to this being a past player's thread and we can have a laugh.

I've had this view from the start, same with simpkin. I've also been wrong plenty of times. I'm a passionate north man.

I've had this view from the start, same with simpkin. I've also been wrong plenty of times. I'm a passionate north man.
Just cut the BS mate, your last 40 posts (didn’t go back any further) are all shitcanning Will. It’s authentically weird that no other topic on this board has inspired you to post anything. Just STFU, it’s so embarrassing.

Just cut the BS mate, your last 40 posts (didn’t go back any further) are all shitcanning Will. It’s authentically weird that no other topic on this board has inspired you to post anything. Just STFU, it’s so embarrassing.
IMG_4460.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back