Coach Mark 'Choco' Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily my close, second choice after Clarko. Has been huge in the turnaround of several clubs in recent times. Really like his ability to be both an aggressive mongrel and a comforting motivator at the same time, the latter of which seems to have come out more in recent years. He's got that kind of defiant ("Allan Scott, you were WRONG!") type attitude that would fit in perfectly at North.

My Dad's a dees supporter. He was watching the post match of their freo game. Goodwin was doing the congratulations to/with the assistants et al. He reckons that there was a clear and significant drop in enthusiasm when goodwin reached williams. Like something bad had happened between them but you gotta keep up appearances.

That could just be how their relationship is, nothing to compare it to. Could be other reasons...

My Dad's a dees supporter. He was watching the post match of their freo game. Goodwin was doing the congratulations to/with the assistants et al. He reckons that there was a clear and significant drop in enthusiasm when goodwin reached williams. Like something bad had happened between them but you gotta keep up appearances.

That could just be how their relationship is, nothing to compare it to. Could be other reasons...

I may be wrong (ol Lloydy is regularly) but I suspect Choco would be a difficult person to work with.

Now I don't mean that in a bad way, more he doesn't seem to care what others think. He has an ego no doubt (I like it, I want that type of attitude at North)

I may be wrong (ol Lloydy is regularly) but I suspect Choco would be a difficult person to work with.

Now I don't mean that in a bad way, more he doesn't seem to care what others think. He has an ego no doubt (I like it, I want that type of attitude at North)
He's not a difficult person to work with, at least not in recent times. I know several people who worked with and played under him - all speak glowingly about him as a human and coach.

He's not a difficult person to work with, at least not in recent times. I know several people who worked with and played under him - all speak glowingly about him as a human and coach.

Yes well I am sure you know better than me. I do know he can be abrasive and more "old-school" "tough love" type than the modern AFL coach.

Again, you would know more than me but I think you are underselling how Choco can be. He is no Mister Nice Guy.

Do you want him at North?

Yes well I am sure you know better than me. I do know he can be abrasive and more "old-school" "tough love" type than the modern AFL coach.

Again, you would know more than me but I think you are underselling how Choco can be. He is no Mister Nice Guy.

Do you want him at North?

To say I'd love him at North would be an understatement.

I've heard two things over and over by those who have worked with Choco:
1. He loves and cares for the players a lot. I've heard the words 'father-figure' to describe the way he relates to the players numerous times.
2. His absolute obsession and creativity in coming up with kicking drills and ensuring players improve this area of their football is legendary.

1. He loves and cares for the players a lot. I've heard the words 'father-figure' to describe the way he relates to the players numerous times.
2. His absolute obsession and creativity in coming up with kicking drills and ensuring players improve this area of their football is legendary.

Well to me that sounds perfect. Like what I suspected but better.

The next question is can we make it happen with all the coaches we've cut and the "soft cap" (which I don't pretend to know about) etc?

He has that Malcolm Blight like ability to hone in on and improve the minutia of a footballer’s ability to execute all manner of skills required to be the very best version of themselves.

I’d love him to play a role with our player development at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCrae had many, many years experience as an assistant and in other coaching roles in the AFL system. Shaw had just a few years' experience and Noble none to speak of.

If we need a coach, we don't necessarily need an experienced senior coach. Just one with a lot of assistant/development coaching experience at AFL level. That said, Leppitch would be very good.

Should have been coach before Scott got resigned but the Chairman at the time Wonder Women wouldn’t have the stones to get rid of his Golf Partner in Scott.
But the idea for a Williams type at North would be to fast track a group of 6 to 8 1st and 2nd year pleasers into a AFL system of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back