Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, I guess the with the current trend in suspensions I'm not surprised it was 6 weeks. Didn't leave the ground, turned his back, was a head clash, but it's the injuries to the other player that did him in. Hope the other player will recover well, but it's completely unforunate incident (shephard gone wrong). Not a dog act whatsoever

Last edited:
I watched it again. It looked very bad. He claims he stopped moving. That is false. He ramps up into it. The player had a right to think they were safe from a bump. And I’m sorry, but you don’t do that if you are not frustrated.

He’s bumped and made head contact so yes he has gone near the head. It’s fairly obvious that you almost can’t bump nowadays so why even do it
That's a bit silly given any time 2 human beings come in physical contact with each other, their heads, shoulders and arms are in some proximity.

Like I said you'll see countless similar bumps this weekend pass without incident. Those players aren't all going near the head, they're just completing a footy act. Parker deserves a whack because his went wrong, but the punishment is excessive given there was zero malice and intentional strikes receive less time.

Do yourself a favour and watch the incident.You think he actually targeted the blokes head with the back of his own head ? That is what made contact with the blokes face and caused the damage. There was no intent to make contact with his head. He had to be suspended for execution of the sheperd and the contact to the head but 6 based on the garbage you have just posted is ridiculous. Hall got 6 weeks for putting Staker in a coma.

He went near the head when he could have literally done anything else. Did he target the head of course not but you are responsible for your actions. His poor actions has put someone in hospital needing surgery and we have no idea if he’ll ever be the same.

In a post-Maynard world, I regard it all as a complete lottery.

Sure but they have all been fairly consistent all year after getting the Maynard one badly wrong. Webster got 7 (and he was very lucky to only get 7), we have had a bunch of 4 week bans for bumps gone wrong, and a few 3 week ones which were on the lower end of the severe.

He may get a game vs Crom at the SCG Rnd 24.

Surely guys like Campbell and Sheldrick get looked at first. Why play a 30+ year old when you can play either one of them.

It's a ruthless industry. Sadly.

6-7 weeks is insanity.

I really don't know what it is about a club legend that's pissed a few of you off but the utter indifference to him losing his spot to injury, to accusing him of trying to iron out an opponent beyond a bump gone wrong is really rubbing me the wrong way.

If you don't think he deserves his spot fine, we'll disagree, but that's an opinion. But the fact that so many of you are happy to throw away what he's done for the club and let him languish in the VFL through no fault of his own just because we've won a few games give me the royal shits.
Couldn' agree more with you.

s**t outcome for everyone.

The commentary retiring Parker seems premature - he’ll be available for 7 games before finals and there’s a lot to play out before then. Injuries, form, matchups….could be useful having a fully fit Parker at that time of year.
This. I doubt that we don't see him at AFL-level again this season and he should be fit come September if we need him.

A well paid sportsman isn't in everyone's 22 including the coaching panel and people lose their nut.

Another way to look at it is the great club has given him 282 chance to pull on the jumper and helped make him who he is.

He isn't owed a spot or a chance and plenty of players who did more for the club finished up in worse ways.

Club comes first, player second . the over dramatic worry for one player is odd to
me, the club is first and Luke and the bloods type would expect nothing less. No one players forever. * better players than him didn't even finish at the club- Hannebery for example .

We weren't winning any flags with him as our number 1 mid anyway, I mean he was deadset trash v Melbourne last year when we needed to win for a home final, then god awful v Carlton, he has been given chances and yes PROBABLY gets more.

Given his absence coincides with some of the best footy this side has played in 5-6 years why would people be up in arms he was in the VFL.

if he comes back and is part of the side all good and well too. He had a better run than most already.
I don't know why you have been so disparraging against Parker for so many years. Maybe it stems from the time when he was about 19/20 when you proposed he be Bf whipping boy and he has made you look silly. Just take in his career achievements over 13 years and you will see what I mean. Yes the club comes first but his treatment this year has been disrespectful. As Dunstall and others have said he is best 22 evry day of the week and you find a place for him.

I don't know why you have been so disparraging against Parker for so many years. Maybe it stems from the time when he was about 19/20 when you proposed he be Bf whipping boy and he has made you look silly. Just take in his career achievements over 13 years and you will see what I mean. Yes the club comes first but his treatment this year has been disrespectful. As Dunstall and others have said he is best 22 evry day of the week and you find a place for him.

Ridiculous comment really, Just proves my point about this gnashing at teeth,

Didn't question Parkers spot at any stage until now , when the club themselves are.

Didnt question his achievements, nothing you said made sense,

He isn't best 22 any day of the week, he hasn't been picked for a month and the side is humming, therefore proving it.

He is capable of getting back there, absolutely.

But the rubbish about looking silly is just bonkers, if anything I have been validated by suggesting he would struggle to get back into the side, which is all I said based on the back of last year and injury.

Prior to that as I have said many times he has been a great Swan.

I mean you didn't even suggest a place for him in your crap you went on with, Probably not even worth me replying to this junk and made up crap.

Bloody midweek tackle...I keep telling myself don't go there but was on straight after 360 and straight to Parkes.
3 click-bait-searching dicks all together talking about this career-ending / Swans-ending ban..but all the other clubs he could play for in his last year (2025) was the basic gist of it. :mad:

It was an accident...yes, a stupid accident that could've been avoided. As explained, he's not used to players 'not' putting their guard up with a collision imminent, but no malice whatsoever.
I suppose they have to at least try and match the length of time Josh will also be out for, so I get it.

Bur career ending??...GTF out of here! He will not be going out on those terms...not on his/Horses/my watch!
Expect many more matches with Parker heroics.. later this year, or worst case next year.
Was only an injury or two or bad form /a loss away as it was.
Bloods through and through...he aint going nowhere and will be back with the red & white seniors - mark my words!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched it again. It looked very bad. He claims he stopped moving. That is false. He ramps up into it. The player had a right to think they were safe from a bump. And I’m sorry, but you don’t do that if you are not frustrated.

What an awful call lol.

Ridiculous comment really, Just proves my point about this gnashing at teeth,

Didn't question Parkers spot at any stage until now , when the club themselves are.

Didnt question his achievements, nothing you said made sense,

He isn't best 22 any day of the week, he hasn't been picked for a month and the side is humming, therefore proving it.

He is capable of getting back there, absolutely.

But the rubbish about looking silly is just bonkers, if anything I have been validated by suggesting he would struggle to get back into the side, which is all I said based on the back of last year and injury.

Prior to that as I have said many times he has been a great Swan.

I mean you didn't even suggest a place for him in your crap you went on with, Probably not even worth me replying to this junk and made up crap.

Absolutely agree with how the side is performing i think our midfield has gone as far as it can with Parker being the main man and its evolved past him.

I think the Grundy and Adams relationship and their understanding is offering us more in the middle now.

I mean 9-1 with a percentage of 155% why change the dynamic unless forced to? i suspect Adams will be managed at some point that may be Parker chance to get back in.

I don't agree that his season/career is over.

He is back in mid July. He is fully fit and will still be training at a high level during that time. So he is in a better position than someone who gets a 6 week injury.
I’d wrongly assumed his contract was up this year - but he’s contracted through 2025.

We haven’t seen the last of Luke Parker!

I’d wrongly assumed his contract was up this year - but he’s contracted through 2025.

We haven’t seen the last of Luke Parker!

He's still relatively young too..

Just after helping Collingwood get a flag. Timely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better than Carlton winning at least. They probably would have won whether Maynard played or not anyway

when mccartin went down, there were posters here proposing that the offending player be banned for as long as the injured player is out ...
according to this report, smith is likely to miss 10 games, so parker getting six is arguably getting off light
the problem, judging by a lot of comments, and very much in my thinking, is the inconsistency of the system regards any incident in which there's head contact
clearly, the maynard bump is the "benchmark" for a flaw in that system, and you could throw in a few others over the past year or so ... but the whole head contact/injury thing is now one of the most sensitive issues in the game, and in all football codes, and it's understandable the afl is now possibly "over-correcting" and hitting players with what might seem like quite shocking penalties

one comment referenced the hall-staker incident, and you could add gaff-brayshaw to that in more recent times ... it's pretty safe to say any such incident these days would demand an unprecedented penalty, anything up to an entire season, and even the possibility of police charges
don't laugh or sneer ... that's coming ... and as a few older fans would be well aware, such an outcome has an infamous precedent

but the afl is now on notice as to penalties when the next bump/head contact incident occurs

He may be available in 6 weeks, but that's a long time out of footy. It will take a couple of games to get match fitness back in the magoos.

The suspension might be 6 weeks, but realistically it's going to 8-9 week out of afl level footy.

Let's face it, he was made to play two's after he recovered from his injury so he's not a walk up start anymore, especially coming off the back of a lengthy suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back