Autopsy 26 point win against West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, imagine what our record would be if we weren't poorly coached, lazy, arrogant, entitled, stupid, soft show ponies!

We may not have been flogged by the Cats last season in an abject spineless performance.

I have seen our Club cop some monumental beltings but generally there was a massive gulf in class..

Four of the worst performances, relative to talent, have been in the past ten years. That loss to the Cats, the GF 14 and 22 debacles and Round 6 2017.

We may not have been flogged by the Cats last season in an abject spineless performance.

I have seen our Club cop some monumental beltings but generally there was a massive gulf in class..

Four of the worst performances, relative to talent, have been in the past ten years. That loss to the Cats, the GF 14 and 22 debacles and Round 6 2017.
In last year’s loss to the Cats there was a massive gap in class. We’d lost both McCartins and had no one more suitable than Mills to play on Hawkins (rendering our midfield impotent as well as doing little to our defence). I don’t recall the exact timing of all last year’s early season injuries to talls but I think, by that game, we were missing some or all of Reid (definitely), McDonald, Franklin, Amartey, too, and if Hickey played, it was on one leg.

The 2014 and 2022 GFs are less easy to brush away, particularly the margins and especially 2014. I don’t recall the other game you referenced (and don’t have time right now to look it up).

In last year’s loss to the Cats there was a massive gap in class. We’d lost both McCartins and had no one more suitable than Mills to play on Hawkins (rendering our midfield impotent as well as doing little to our defence). I don’t recall the exact timing of all last year’s early season injuries to talls but I think, by that game, we were missing some or all of Reid (definitely), McDonald, Franklin, Amartey, too, and if Hickey played, it was on one leg.

The 2014 and 2022 GFs are less easy to brush away, particularly the margins and especially 2014. I don’t recall the other game you referenced (and don’t have time right now to look it up).
I was at 2014 and we were brutalized, mostly legally (Lake on Buddy the big exception). They came out breathing fire and we had no answers.
My strongest memory is Lloyd just getting knocked off the ball by his opponent with a hip and shoulder. From then I've always held the view we should draft players who can hold their feet in a contest amongst their other skills. Too often we haven't, Stephens being a recent example, but not the only one. I was very disappointed we didn't draft Josh Weddle. Already AFL standard and solid.
Konstanty - who knows? We let Ronke go.🤦

Ta for your response. Yes we were missing a few.

Rd 6 2017 was v Carlton. This was the game where 2nd year player zMills was physically set up upon by the Oppo from the opening bounce and it continued throughout. The team offered no support until mid Q4. I was ashamed both of the lack of support and the inevitable loss.

I agree. There is this notion that he's an AA midfielder, thus has to play there. However, we are stacked for midfield options but not so much defenders. He will strengthen our team more by playing off HB - strong overhead, good at ground level and a very good decision maker. Can play on all sorts of forwards (except Hawkins 🤣). He can be to us what Luke Hodge was for the Hawks in their prime.
The teams that are getting it done have more that 6 players running through the mids. Cats, GWS, Us, Dees, Port. The ones who rely on far too few are not in the mix, Bulldogs, Hawks, Lions, North, Eagles. Mills, Adams, Heeney, Papley, Jordan, Rowie, Chad, Lloyd, Gulden, Campbell & even Roberts will at times move through there. This is exciting because it means we will be unpredictable. The same forward. A new unpredictable forward set up. It isn't going t o come together in a few minutes, it takes time but early signs are really good. They are all getting on the scoreboard & they work well together. Same with the mids, early signs are good. By the way I see Roberts, Mills & Heeney as those strong brutal mids. Heens is far stronger than people think, might look like Jane but sure acts like Tarzan.

Liz i think he is referring to the 2017 Semi vs Geelong and the 2018 Elimination final against GWS.

Liz i think he is referring to the 2017 Semi vs Geelong and the 2018 Elimination final against GWS.

Nope . They were bad losses but not in the same shame file as the two Grannies and two the H&A games.

I was at 2014 and we were brutalized, mostly legally (Lake on Buddy the big exception). They came out breathing fire and we had no answers.
My strongest memory is Lloyd just getting knocked off the ball by his opponent with a hip and shoulder. From then I've always held the view we should draft players who can hold their feet in a contest amongst their other skills. Too often we haven't, Stephens being a recent example, but not the only one. I was very disappointed we didn't draft Josh Weddle. Already AFL standard and solid.
Konstanty - who knows? We let Ronke go.🤦
You want a memory of 2014 ?

Peter Burgoyne.

Surprised Reid wasn't rising star
Not to sound like a sore loser (though we didn't lose), but I thought his game wasn't anything special.

He had about a 10 minute burst where we basically couldn't stick a tackle (not just on him, also on Yeo, Hunt, Kelly, basically any player in an Eagles jumper) and he thrived. Won multiple clearances and got them inside 50 to create goals.

That was about it. Evidently the coaches didn't even have him in the top 4 players in a losing team.

He looks very promising though.

Not to sound like a sore loser (though we didn't lose), but I thought his game wasn't anything special.

He had about a 10 minute burst where we basically couldn't stick a tackle (not just on him, also on Yeo, Hunt, Kelly, basically any player in an Eagles jumper) and he thrived. Won multiple clearances and got them inside 50 to create goals.

That was about it. Evidently the coaches didn't even have him in the top 4 players in a losing team.

He looks very promising though.

Don't disagree , just thought the way the talked his performance up he would get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't disagree , just thought the way the talked his performance up he would get it.
In fairness they didn't talk about his performance anywhere near as much as they talked about how long he was on the interchange bench for, how he was putting his boots on whilst on the interchange bench, what song he had stuck in his head on the interchange bench, what he was thinking about having for dinner that night, etc.

Agree 100 percent. The version of JMac that is very happy with himself is not worth s**t to us. The gut running, fearless ball winner who executes with purpose is worth its weight in gold.
Hopefully during bye he can get rid of the distractions and get back to playing some good footy.

To be fair that ground is made for a team to stifle our game plan. We want to go up the corridor every time we can. The ground being so narrow means that wce could easily take space in the corridor leaving us very little room on the outside. That's why we were trying to force a few things that probably weren't there .

Take the points and move on

I think the dimensions are identical to the MCG.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was a shitty 4 points 'earnt'

Let this sink in. WC scored more points against us than they had in their last 2 games combined. We let in 100+ to Essendon, who were kept to under 50 by Port Adelaide on the weekend. Don't bother dressing it up any another way, thats simply not contender material. The defence needs an epic rocket, just not good enough.

The rest get a comparative pass but that says more about the defence than the rest - outside of one player, Heeney. I think he could be even more destructive but he's also still growing into the role. It's phenomenal what he's put together so far

Nobody was keen to answer yesterday. Has everyone got the Bulldogs ahead of GWS, Port and us now that margin of victory over the Eagles is the barometer of how a team is going?

Nobody was keen to answer yesterday. Has everyone got the Bulldogs ahead of GWS, Port and us now that margin of victory over the Eagles is the barometer of how a team is going?
Not sure where we stand in the scheme of things, but I'm not convinced the dishlickers are any more than a midtable team this year, yet to win away from home for a start.

Personally I'm running with the "we are arrogant" narrative for the Swans at present and I like to think we would have come out breathing fire if we had played any other team on Saturday.
Of course, that's more than likely just me trying to convince myself we are better than we actually are, but for now it's the narrative I'm happy to run with.

I still have the Lord Beveridge as the coach most likely to be sacked during this season.

Footscray will not darken the door of the final 8.

I still have the Lord Beveridge as the coach most likely to be sacked during this season.

Footscray will not darken the door of the final 8.

If Adelaide fall off a cliff I wonder how far away he is from being sacked!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back