AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Further setback with ankle soreness - 18/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Because you have to delist 3 spots. And as much as many of us could argue that there are 3 more obvious choices - the fact is a guy who is out of contract who hasn't nailed down a best 22 spot and spends a majority of his time in the rehabilitation group is going to be in trouble.

And this is coming from a guy who likes Baldwin.
He's in a bit of trouble now, poor guy. Imagine how stressful it would be, and the temptation to play through injury.

They will want to bring in 2 FAs and have 3 ND picks.

The other guys in the gun:

Hunter
Weidemann
Wanganeen
Shiel

Can imagine El-Hawli will be safe. If Jayden Davey wasn't a father/son he would be wondering, but will survive I'm sure.

Maybe there's a trade out of someone we can't predict yet.

It doesn’t ’have to’ be done. He’s young enough, knows our system, and has traits worth persisting with. He also has no trade value and you’re only going to replace him with a speculative pick anyway. He has value to us as depth. Why simply discard him for his own chance at a new start when it gains nothing for us and actually creates a deficit in our list?

I’d just rather replace him with a draft pick or FA that would/could actually play. Can you really say he creates a deficit? What are we losing?

I rate him so selfishly wouldn’t mind if he got another year, but it’d be a foolish move club/list wise.

Because you have to delist 3 spots. And as much as many of us could argue that there are 3 more obvious choices - the fact is a guy who is out of contract who hasn't nailed down a best 22 spot and spends a majority of his time in the rehabilitation group is going to be in trouble.

And this is coming from a guy who likes Baldwin.

We don't have to delist 3, we can trade some out.

I'd let Heppell retire gracefully, arrange a Shiel trade to anywhere he wants.

Of the OOC guys I'd delist Weideman, someone might pick him up as a DFA to play in defence.

Guys like Hunter, Baldwin and El-Hawli I'd be trying to hold off until we've seen how the trade period plays out. I think all 3 have more upside than a late draft pick. Baldwin is still only 22 which is young for a KPP, he clearly has talent.

I’d just rather replace him with a draft pick or FA that would/could actually play. Can you really say he creates a deficit? What are we losing?

I rate him so selfishly wouldn’t mind if he got another year, but it’d be a foolish move club/list wise.
I’m willing to be patient with a guy who has shown that he’s got the craft to play at the highest level. I’d like to see what he can offer with a clear run at it. If he were Weid’s age I might agree with you. Naviculars are tricky but if they're managed well he might never have an issue there again. It’s not like he’s done his acl again which would deter me more.

I’m willing to be patient with a guy who has shown that he’s got the craft to play at the highest level. I’d like to see what he can offer with a clear run at it. If he were Weid’s age I might agree with you. Naviculars are tricky but if they're managed well he might never have an issue there again. It’s not like he’s done his acl again which would deter me more.

Fair enough. I think 4 years is enough patience personally - the % of players that make it after 4 years really drops off. Hopefully he can be one of the ones that proves the exception if he stays on

He's in a bit of trouble now, poor guy. Imagine how stressful it would be, and the temptation to play through injury.

They will want to bring in 2 FAs and have 3 ND picks.

The other guys in the gun:

Hunter
Weidemann
Wanganeen
Shiel

Can imagine El-Hawli will be safe. If Jayden Davey wasn't a father/son he would be wondering, but will survive I'm sure.

Maybe there's a trade out of someone we can't predict yet.
Setterfield is also in the gun
Kelly also out of contract

Baldwin played most of last year (missed a couple of VFL matches with concussion from memory) and the year before missed only a handful of matches with injury. He isn't like Reid who seems instantly hurt soon as he plays.

The vice hands (something we desperately need forward of centre) on display here

Caddy probably the only other forward who will consistently hang onto marks he should take.

We don't have to delist 3, we can trade some out.

I'd let Heppell retire gracefully, arrange a Shiel trade to anywhere he wants.

Of the OOC guys I'd delist Weideman, someone might pick him up as a DFA to play in defence.

Guys like Hunter, Baldwin and El-Hawli I'd be trying to hold off until we've seen how the trade period plays out. I think all 3 have more upside than a late draft pick. Baldwin is still only 22 which is young for a KPP, he clearly has talent.
fitness is the best attribute, especially for guys in there 2nd and third year. Unfortunately some just have no luck and cant stay on the park in crucial times (being out of contract in this instance). Feel for him but not only is the injury curse lingering, he is in a spot we are well stocked in. Although we should keep one of Weid or Baldwin for depth purposes.

fitness is the best attribute, especially for guys in there 2nd and third year. Unfortunately some just have no luck and cant stay on the park in crucial times (being out of contract in this instance). Feel for him but not only is the injury curse lingering, he is in a spot we are well stocked in. Although we should keep one of Weid or Baldwin for depth purposes.
Well, it can't be Weiderman with his new bad-boy status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back