VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

And there is one more to add to that list of depth as Fox is back and travelled to Adelaide on the weekend. I'd say one of Campbell or Roberts make way for Fox. I'd guess Campbell.

And there is one more to add to that list of depth as Fox is back and travelled to Adelaide on the weekend. I'd say one of Campbell or Roberts make way for Fox. I'd guess Campbell.
Fox can play taller than Roberts and if Matt has a tight calf then definitely. GWS too tall for Campbell in defence. Maybe Mitchell for sub?

Fox can play taller than Roberts and if Matt has a tight calf then definitely. GWS too tall for Campbell in defence. Maybe Mitchell for sub?
GWS too tall for Campbell in defence?

He’s not going to be asked to play on Hogan. But they have, like, a gazillion small, nippy forwards and half-forwards.

There may be reasons to omit him, but lack of possible assignments in defence ain’t one of them.

GWS too tall for Campbell in defence?

He’s not going to be asked to play on Hogan. But they have, like, a gazillion small, nippy forwards and half-forwards.

There may be reasons to omit him, but lack of possible assignments in defence ain’t one of them.
🤔 4 talls, 2 smalls and Greene.
Hogan, Riccardi, Brown, Cadman.
If Bedford is tagging as expected then Daniels and Thomas as smalls. I think we should have them covered with Harry and Ollie.
Not quite sure how we should classify Greene but I can't quite see Campbell playing on him.
I would definitely be playing Fox if he's fit.

You can definitely de-list and re-rookie.

Some excellent comments people.

I can add that from my point of view the VFL back line seems very settled with Francis, Edwards, Snell, and Magor all gelling well.

Also in terms of current acceptable depth in case of injury it seems that of the players in that team the only ones that we could confidently consider would be Ladhams, Francis, and Warner with Edwards, Mitchell and Magor as outside chances.Its a good thing we don't have a few more injuries.

I was also impressed with Hanily, who got about 20 possessions and looks like a real competitor with a good tank and decent skills.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I think Mitchell is in the first group of players and on a par with Warner (albeit with two years less development in him).

I think, especially as the season wears on, you have to draw a divide between players who have debuted already and those who haven't. Later in the season I think players are less likely to get a debut unless demanded by injury or stellar VFL form.

But then again, I doubt myself: what about when we're 3-4 games clear on top of the ladder, trying to win a flag (so maybe want to "manage" some players), and we play NMFC?

Sorry, not sure if that was a useful comment after all but I'm deciding not to can it.

If I am to add something else to try and improve this post I would say:

Although I have been increasingly underwhelmed by Vickery's season I am still higher on him and lower on Magor than most others here. Based solely on onfield performances I would be comfortable to delist both at this point in time. However the club will know much more about what is going on in the background of the players' lives, know what they're working on and what they're meant to be working on, and how they are progressing at those things, know how they are settling into the club and the city etc etc. That information will also be relevant to the list management decisions that are made. You want to feel as though you have a given a player an opportunity to show their best before you delist them. And sometimes it's not only about a player's quality but also their 'fit'.

VFL Round 12 review

FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS vs SYDNEY SWANS​

SYDNEY climbed back into the top 10 after a blistering first quarter with the wind helped it stun ladder-leader Footscray by 27 points at Mission Whitten Oval.

The Swans won the toss and took full advantage in stalwart Jake Bartholomaeus’ 50th VFL game, banging on 5.2 before the Bulldogs even had a disposal inside their attacking 50.

But with a 33-point lead in the back pocket at quarter-time, it was the second term where Sydney made the decisive play, holding the home team to just 1.4 in their own turn with the breeze.

Even though Footscray won the third quarter against it, the Swans responded in kind for their best win of the season to see the flag favourites drop two home games in a row to non-Victorian visitors.

Aaron Francis (25 disposals, 10 marks, five rebounds) was best afield with a brilliant intercepting display in defence that was well supporters by Will Edwards and Patrick Snell with 13 marks between them.

Midfielders Caleb Mitchell (24 disposals, six entries, one goal), Ben Edwards (22 disposals, two goals), the returning Corey Warner (21 disposals, five entries, one goal) and Caiden Cleary (19, one goal) had too much pace and all hit the scoreboard, while Bartholomaeus (20 disposals, seven marks, five entries), Jaiden Magor (21 disposals, five entries), mid-season pick Tom Hanily (20 disposals) were lively on the outside

In attack, Joel Hamling broke clear early and late to take six marks and kick four goals for 19 majors in five matches while Pete Ladhams (19 disposals, four marks, seven hitouts) caused plenty of headaches in a fierce battle with the hard-working Will Lewis but blotted his copybook with 0.4.

COACHES VOTES

Footscray Bulldogs 8.8 (56) def by Sydney Swans 12.11 (83)

7 Ben Edwards (SYD)
Caleb Mitchell (SYD)
Aaron Francis (SYD)
4 Cooper Craig-Peters (FOO)
3 Oskar Baker (FOO)
3 Joel Hamling (SYD)

COACHES VOTES

Footscray Bulldogs 8.8 (56) def by Sydney Swans 12.11 (83)

7 Ben Edwards (SYD)
Caleb Mitchell (SYD)
Aaron Francis (SYD)
4 Cooper Craig-Peters (FOO)
3 Oskar Baker (FOO)
3 Joel Hamling (SYD)
Great to see Ben Edwards recognised - he's playing very, very good footy.

Any chance of scoring a rookie contract with us or another club?
Would say probably not because he is 25 and we have Mills, Parker Sheldrick and Cleary all in front of him they would probably rather rookie list Harrison in the draft because he has higher upside and we don't really need more depth in the midfield right at this moment

He’s a Claremont boy, so I’m sure the WA clubs are taking note.

He was in the WAFL state team back in 2021, so he’s been a good player for quite some time. Seems to have really developed since joining the Swans’ system though.
Would improve the mids of several teams inc Crows, Cats, Saints, eagles, Norf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew Charlie existed, I knew he played footy at some level, I'm pretty sure I've heard him described as Longmire's favourite McCartin, but I had no inkling he was anywhere near making an AFL (or even a VFL) list. Exciting! I wonder what role he plays? Any more info?

Pleased for Caiden to get a debut. He's been very consistent the VFL. Not sure if he will play in the guts and can see him more in a run with role on Whitfield or Ash.
As an aside, I feel that Ben Edwards has been our most consistent mid in the VFL. I hope he gets a chance on an AFL list, whether that's on ours or another team.

I knew Charlie existed, I knew he played footy at some level, I'm pretty sure I've heard him described as Longmire's favourite McCartin, but I had no inkling he was anywhere near making an AFL (or even a VFL) list. Exciting! I wonder what role he plays? Any more info?
Defender. He turns 26 this year and has not played since he was 17. Sounds pretty smart.

Had some health issues that prevented him playing. I guess these have been resolved.

Last played serious footy age 17. According to SEN, has had some health issues which have curtailed his footy career and is only now (age 25 going on 26) in a position to give it his best shot. Is around 194cm, precise left boot, tough and brave like his brothers and is a defender.

I hope he turns out to be an undiscovered gun and we can sign him.

Described in The Age the other day as a 194 cm athletic defender, similar to his brothers size wise by the sounds of it. I think that article was posted on here somewhere.

Should be 16 listed players in the team this weekend. Most all season perhaps, or since first week or two at least?

Would expect Mitchell, being named as one of the non tall emergencies to play only the first half and then head over to the "Whatever It's Called This Year" Stadium for the seniors game. Roberts the other emergency, but Horse said they want him to have a full game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back