Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a weird feeling that we've qualified for finals already with 10 games to go. Probably need only 3 or 4 more wins out of those 10 to lock in a top 2 spot. What a luxury.

As others have said, if we don't win that last game it'll be all for nothing.

Teams will apply thug tactics and umps will impose themselves come finals. I hope we'll be ready for it.

I would lock that in in a heartbeat.

Essendon the worst top 4 side since North. Plus, bragging rights that we've extended Essendon's finals losing streak (hold my toastie).
Freo to end the Cats season. Whatever really. Perhaps cats have one last win before bowing out. Least interesting match up and unlikely to advance past the next round.
Lions v GWS - The 2nd tier contenders / GF smokies. Akin to feuding gang members, let them wipe each other out first before stepping in to take care of the remainder.
Blues v pies, I think it might fry the umps brains not knowing who to pay a free to. This would be a dream outcome, having our two biggest threats play each other. Although I'd much rather they matched up in a prelim. Surely one or the other is bound to make the GF - the one who ends up on the other side of the draw to us.

Essendon in the qualifying final, yes thanks. Then it's two high-pressure games to premiership glory.

Last edited:
View attachment 2028492

I think its clear they dont bother to try and hide which team they want to have a chance at finals.

:tearsofjoy:
Fox Footy captioned the above picture you posted of their projected finals with "How MASSIVE would that last one (Carlton vs Collingwood) be"

Um why? All finals are massive, all sell outs and all should be hyped up as great contests if they're theoretically between the eight best sides.

They just cannot hide their bias. This from one of the main media corporations charged with promoting the "national" comp.

Fox Footy captioned the above picture you posted of their projected finals with "How MASSIVE would that last one (Carlton vs Collingwood) be"

Um why? All finals are massive, all sell outs and all should be hyped up as great contests if they're theoretically between the eight best sides.

They just cannot hide their bias. This from one of the main media corporations charged with promoting the "national" comp.
"It's the one we all want."

Who's 'we?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would be riots if we had a fixture like that lol

Key skills, physical development & experience which have been discussed for multiple seasons have come together this year.

Skills: kicking
Physical development: size/power & endurance
Experience: ability to halt & turn momentum, greater resilience

Next step: Handballing, gameplan & GF performance

Longer version
Kicking: This was the first domino to fall in the change of our game style imo. We could see it in the covid years where guys like Florent, Blakey etc would attempt difficult kicks but would be inconsistent, they've now been able to perform those kicks more consistently.

Physical development: Younger players have become physically stronger & improved their endurance. This has lead to better repeat contest efforts & allowed certain players an extra second for decision making with ball in hand. A couple of midfield guys like Rowbottom now have the strength to stand up in tackles more consistently, Warner explosiveness within the contest has also improved, Gulden increased work-rate has allowed him to play as an 'extra' in defence & attack. IMO our physical development was exposed in the 2022 GF.

Experience: We've been able to halt moment (stopping quick multiple goals) & rapidly assert momentum (scoring quick multiple goals) through more experience across the field. Grundy has been a massive factor in this area, combined with our younger players gaining more experience allowing them to make better decisions, whether it be through our set up and/or adjustment in tactics.

I think our handballing is improving, we've seen some effective handball chains when transitioning the ball into our front half but also to get the ball out of congestion. However, it's a work in progress because it's been a bit inconsistent.

Gameplan: Imo we've been less defensive or defaulting to a defensive gameplan to protect a lead or wrestle back momentum. I think it's still an area to improve, especially with our poor starts.

GF performance: If we get to that stage then I hope we can improve our GF performance.

Thank you for reading me TED talk.

I have too. But I'm worried about tickets. I'm not premiership club.

Even if I can't attend the match just going to the Parade and being there will be good, I hope. Not sure where will be the Plan B for watching: the Riser? Federation Square??

I've booked refundable flights & accom. I've also paid extra for the premiership club thing, I still don't understand it but assume it gets me into the GF ballot (well I hoe so).

I've booked refundable flights & accom. I've also paid extra for the premiership club thing, I still don't understand it but assume it gets me into the GF ballot (well I hoe so).

Isn't the whole point of premiership club that it assures you a ticket if we get to the granny? That's why it costs so much. https://membership.sydneyswans.com.au/premiership-club

I hope we play Brissy in the decider (a) to cancel out disadvantage to non-Victorian side; and (b) to increase chance of me getting a ticket. I shan't hold my breath.

Welp premiership club is at capacity and now there is a wait list...

Maybe a Red 3 or 5 pass won't be enough this year to get in. I don't mind the restricted view...

Lid is off for a lot of supporters...

Last edited:
Welp premiership club is at capacity and now there is a wait list...

Maybe a Red 3 or 5 pass won't be enough this year to get in. I don't mind the restricted view...

Lid is off for a lot of supporters...
Great thing for the club however - it is a fantastic opportunity to take that next step in terms of the 'rusted on' brigade. To turn the crowds in down times from 20-25K (or whatever it has been in recent poor years) to 30-35K, and build that really solid core that every club (well maybe not a few of the smaller clubs) have to support them through thick and thin.

If you are new to the game and don't love what this Swans team is showing, then you'll never be a rusted on fan is my take. 70K membership barrier broken this year. Great times.

Yes it means GF tickets will be tougher to get, and that is hard on those that maybe aren't in a position to fork out for guaranteed seats etc, and have been well treated on lower memberships previously. But in terms of the signs that has for long term financial health and strength of our footy club, they are very positive ones!

Great thing for the club however - it is a fantastic opportunity to take that next step in terms of the 'rusted on' brigade. To turn the crowds in down times from 20-25K (or whatever it has been in recent poor years) to 30-35K, and build that really solid core that every club (well maybe not a few of the smaller clubs) have to support them through thick and thin.

If you are new to the game and don't love what this Swans team is showing, then you'll never be a rusted on fan is my take. 70K membership barrier broken this year. Great times.

Yes it means GF tickets will be tougher to get, and that is hard on those that maybe aren't in a position to fork out for guaranteed seats etc, and have been well treated on lower memberships previously. But in terms of the signs that has for long term financial health and strength of our footy club, they are very positive ones!
I think even our last 2 poor years we were still averaging 30k crowds.

I still remember when I was excited about us having 30-40K members. Feels like eons ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back