Autopsy 2024 Rd 16 Blues tame the Tigers easily

Who played well for the Blues in Round 16 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this, even the way Zac spoke about how people at the club, not just players, helped him through some tough times. Just seems like the club is an awesome place to be at the moment. Speaks volume of the culture that has been built.

A) correll has to make it back first and
B) Fantasia is a better fit than cotrell. More poise and goal nous
Had a long argument with my daughters about this, who are strongly in the cotts camp. I love cotts. A lot. We walk our dogs at the same place and hevalways acknowledges my carlton paraphernalia and i just sagely nod at him.

He runs all day. Nerveless under pressure. Would die for the navy blue. Just awesome. Orazio isnt cotts but he has next level skill and experience. Honestly, its ollie who could miss out if cotts makes it back

Possible dual Brownlow medallist,possible 5 time best and fairest and multiple all Australian.

I’d say he’d go pretty close.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love crippa, but the conversation doesnt start until hes got 2 flags. Im discounting because of the national comp.

That said i can easily see a world where hes hit that mark and the conversation is on in earnest

Elijah…what a steal…clean by hand and foot…we’ll be seeing a lot of him in coming years.
Every single game he plays he does something special.

Of note from this game was the split second it took him to pick the ball off the ground and dish out a handball for Fog's goal.

Note: Fog must like Elijah in the team. Fog's 2nd goal was also a handball receive from none other than Elijah Hollands.

Also had a Judd-like ground all pickup and spin move.

Last play was a 20m handball from his left hand.

Last edited:
1 vote to Ben Miller in a 60 point loss?

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF
He was legitimately very good

Well said.

Issue is now the side is well balanced and players are playing well in current roles. Ollie isn't playing great but not everyone will at the same time

Problem is we don't have an obvious player to come straight in. IMO Doc would be perfect and we miss him

Options may be Cincotta Elijah Williams but they are doing well in their current roles and IMPORTANTLY the side is gelling very well. Binns is an option but I'm not convinced he will be any better especially over the short term

I think the best option (if we made a change) would be Cowan to a wing and Marchbank into defence

Our best wingman is actually Walsh but he is also in our best 2 mids.

Personally, I wouldn't be making any changes unless because of injury. The side is now cohesive, playing well, winning and now has trust in each other. Leave it the way it is
Miss Doc, what a difference he’d make with him playing multiple positions, like the idea of Cowan on a wing he’s game has great attributes that would make him a damaging winger, i don’t know much about his endurance capabilities when he was drafted, do you know anything about it? I have a feeling he probably doesn’t have that ability atm to gut run like Acres and Holland have…

Yes becausse he dug in through all the painful years. Plus good as our past champs were, it is a different era and I put it to you neigh sayers that players have never had to be fitter or challenged more than they are in the modern game.
Crippa was exactly the right man for our new era. He is incredible and we got to watch him mature and grow. 💙😊
John Nicholls. Played in the Carlton side from 1957 to 1968 without tasting success. It's been 11 years since Crippa joined the club. I'm just saying... it might be a coincidence. really.

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
6 - Nicholas Newman (CARL)
2 - Adam Saad (CARL)
2 - Blake Acres (CARL)
1 - Elijah Hollands (CARL)
1 -
Ben Miller (RICH)

Shout out to Walsh who despite missing the first four games - and hence having an interrupted preparation - is now in 7th place in the Coaches votes with everyone else ahead of him having played four additional games (including Cripps who is 5th). Only Heeney has a higher Votes per game average than Walsh - and I would wager that Walsh overtakes him soon. In fact with 8 games left it’s quite possible that Walsh can wins the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this, even the way Zac spoke about how people at the club, not just players, helped him through some tough times. Just seems like the club is an awesome place to be at the moment. Speaks volume of the culture that has been built.
One bloke we don’t talk about much is Brian Cook - no coincidence Carlton has evolved into this collective, encouraging & supportive culture under his leadership & mentoring.

Imagine his influence on the over-arching Carlton brand through initiatives like Carlton Respects, our learning centre, our business associations, our extraction from traditional (egoistic) business associations - then the clear internal brand that’s being built through the footy departments.

Whatever we make of this football opportunity - We have him to thank for the brand we have now.

Every single game he plays he does something special.

Of note from this game was the split second it took him to pick the ball off the ground and dish out a handball for Fog's goal.

Note: Fog must like Elijah in the team. Fog's 2nd goal was also a handball receive from none other than Elijah Hollands.

Also had a Judd-like ground all pickup and spin move.

Last play was a 20m handball from his left hand.

Actually went back and had a look at his draft highlight tape.

He is now doing the same things at senior level that he did at U/18 level - the deft pick ups, spearing left hand handballs etc.

Love the way Elijah goes about it. His long range goal against the Bombers (actually did it twice because the ump called it back) was great to watch.

In that highlights package, the turn and kick at the 1 minute mark, and the last play remind me of Pendlebury. Lij looks so calm and not rushed at all.

His goal from 48m out chefs kiss 👌🏼

It was a different game in Fevs era, full forwards didn't do that. Imo he was really the last of the true full forwards that played out of the goal square. Buddy was the prototype of the modern era who could get up field more. I don't think Fev would have translated all tate well, to your point about fitness and getting up to the wing etc. Imo he'd be a bit like how Darcy Fogarty at times almost feels like a throwback forward that's out of place in the modern game and gets lost from time to time.

Don't agree re footskills. Fev had elite footskills, with a larger breadth of skills than Charlie imo. Charlie is an elite long kick, his kicking 60m inside 50 is second to none imo, but he doesn't really have a lot of touch. Fev could kick a ball 60 but also had elite finesse when needed as well. Look at his best goals highlights and see how many are crafty kicks out of nowhere - bananas, checksides, or even lying on the ground... Curnow is more a sledgehammer with how he kicks, which is effective in its own right of course. I'd rather Charlie kicking inside 50 from 70 out, but just about every other kick in the book I'd rather Fev.
I agree with most of it, though Fev is a far better player than Fogarty. Taylor Walker is a similar player to what Fev was (if a tier below), and Waterman is Fevola minus the freakish repertoire.

One bloke we don’t talk about much is Brian Cook - no coincidence Carlton has evolved into this collective, encouraging & supportive culture under his leadership & mentoring.

Imagine his influence on the over-arching Carlton brand through initiatives like Carlton Respects, our learning centre, our business associations, our extraction from traditional (egoistic) business associations - then the clear internal brand that’s being built through the footy departments.

Whatever we make of this football opportunity - We have him to thank for the brand we have now.

I keep saying it. Recruit of the year and another tick for Sayers

Actually went back and had a look at his draft highlight tape.

He is now doing the same things at senior level that he did at U/18 level - the deft pick ups, spearing left hand handballs etc.

I'm not sure if there are stats for it but it'd be interesting to see how many times he gets involved in our scoring chains. It was very noticeable on Sunday that he'd often be in defence and pick up a groundball or be the outlet kick. Then all of a sudden he's the link in the chain before a goal.

He also has this knack of positioning himself in tiny pockets of open space in the corridor, he sometimes gets used but even if he doesn't, he draws a defender to him to open up space for someone else and then moves on up the field.

Yeah most definitely ✅

I think he provides that mature stable presence that has infiltrated the club…the players absolutely love playing together and for the jumper.

Without him the wheels could have fallen off during our poor start to 2023 season.

I'm not sure if there are stats for it but it'd be interesting to see how many times he gets involved in our scoring chains. It was very noticeable on Sunday that he'd often be in defence and pick up a groundball or be the outlet kick. Then all of a sudden he's the link in the chain before a goal.
Score Involvements.
Lij had 9 on Sunday (4th most after Walsh, H and Newman).

Cotters is also faster and can hold a tackle. Ollie is just too slight at the moment. Seeing him flayling about attempting to tackle numerous times and gest flicked off like a booger too many times this season.
Problem is, this just doesn't bear out statistically.

Hollands averages 3.1 tackles a game (compared to Cotts, who averages 1.7 tackles a game) and a single possession more, as well as more goal assists and a better disposal efficiency. He also averages almost half a tackle more inside forward 50; it mightn't sound like much, but Cotts averages below a tackle a game inside 50 where Ollie lays at least one a match.

Tackles inside 50 being how we generate an awful lot of scores.

I get the drive to include Cotts. I've been a huge fan of his and would love to see him back in, but right now his position - and Martins - is being held by a player with superior output. He's not as good a wing as Ollie, Fantasia's just kicked 4 and Fog 3, and he's not taking Williams spot.

Back