Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Alixzander Tauru could be one to watch for a late first round, early second round pick. I believe though he is only 191cm. Wouldn’t think so looking at those highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I noticed that he was in the 2023 multicultural team last year. Islander background?

KEY DEFENDER'S STOCKS RISING

RECRUITERS are eyeing Gippsland Power backman Alix Tauru as one of the leading key-position defenders in the draft pool after an exciting return from injury.

Tauru has burst back onto the scene at Coates Talent League level after a hip injury earlier in the season in Vic Country's trial.

But after a stellar two weeks for the Power, he has been brought into Vic Country's team to face Western Australia on Saturday in Perth, with Tauru's marking, competitiveness, intercept ability and aggression taking the eye for scouts.

He had 17 disposals and eight marks against the Geelong Falcons last week and 23 disposals and nine marks the previous week.

The 193cm prospect has shown in his juniors he can also be used as a forward on occasion, with clubs scouring the market for tall options at both ends of the ground. – Callum Twomey

I’ve seen lots of Alix Taurus games. He has had lots of injury concerns but he can def play anywhere on the ground. Extremely athletic and a fantastic pair of hands. Doesn’t lack confidence either! Saw him stand on top of a pack and take an absolute hanger in an under 12 grand final. There is a YouTube video of his first senior game for Warragul industrials. He killed it.

Did we tell him to fake injury all season long to be a steal?

In all seriousness, is there a reason/benefit for FOS training with North?
Every u18 AFL academy member trains at an AFL club during the preseason.

This week Allan added a few moments of sublime skill to his typical physical and scrappy play round the footy. He's a raw talent, not the finished product at this stage as an onballer, but he creates chaos at stoppage with his size and competitive intensity leading to a high volume of pressure acts. He underlined his potential by kicking two goals in quick succession early in the third quarter, first swooping on a loose ball and snapping truly, and then finishing off a chain of linking, running play for WA with a long straight bomb from outside 50.

I haven't been a big Shanahan guy all season. I can see why people like him, he's a hell of a physical and athletic specimen, but for me I've seen too many tall prospects through the years that have been drafted on potential rather than production and I'm worried that Shanahan is in that same group. He's not as competitive as I'd like out there, seems to float around at times and doesnt often really attack a contest. Can also be a bit fumbly and not great when the ball is on the ground.

If Shanahan ends up as a star at AFL level it wouldnt shock me given the potential he shows, but I think there's Schache like risk as well.

Trainor is nothing like that. He has his own issues but he attacks the game and if anything is too proactive which can lead to him being a bit loose defensively. The Ridley comparisons make a lot of sense, I'd just love to see him in a few more 1v1 aerial contests to get a better grasp of that side of his game, but overall I have a lot more confidence in Trainor becoming at least a good AFL level player. Is he the type that North need? You guys would be better placed than me to answer that.
Yeah I get what you're saying about Shanahan. I like his physical presence and athletic leap him but his groundballs and competitiveness need a bit of work. Hard to believe he's a similar height to Faull but Shanahan plays taller/bigger.

Faull is better with groundballs and skills, almost like a quick Brody Mihochek or Jack Riewoldt perhaps.
But he looks more like a 3rd tall forward to me at this point so not sure he'd make much sense alongside Zane unless we're going for a couple of mobile 194cm forwards around Larkey.

I think we need a big contested marking presence next to Larkey as that's not really his strength.
So that's possibly more the Whitlock boys or Gerryn being slightly taller at 199cm plus.
Gerryn might be the best fit for us next to Larkey as he can relief ruck.
Ultimately we might not even have a pick for any of them if they're in the teens. Hope we can land one of them.

Yeah I get what you're saying about Shanahan. I like his physical presence and athletic leap him but his groundballs and competitiveness need a bit of work. Hard to believe he's a similar height to Faull but Shanahan plays taller/bigger.

Faull is better with groundballs and skills, almost like a quick Brody Mihochek or Jack Riewoldt perhaps.
But he looks more like a 3rd tall forward to me at this point so not sure he'd make much sense alongside Zane unless we're going for a couple of mobile 194cm forwards around Larkey.

I think we need a big contested marking presence next to Larkey as that's not really his strength.
So that's possibly more the Whitlock boys or Gerryn being slightly taller at 199cm plus.
Gerryn might be the best fit for us next to Larkey as he can relief ruck.
Ultimately we might not even have a pick for any of them if they're in the teens. Hope we can land one of them.

Charlie Nicholls from SA fits the bill too as a contested marking threat while Tom Sims also fits the bill with his height and rucking potential.

I disagree about Faull though, I think he looks as a genuine KP prospect, probably still hasn't shown off his contested marking this season but I seen enough of it last year to suggest he'll be an aerial threat as he matures.

Realistically, we could look to take 2 KP forwards, one with an earlier pick then we could like to take one as more of a development pick with later or rookie picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Nicholls from SA fits the bill too as a contested marking threat while Tom Sims also fits the bill with his height and rucking potential.

I disagree about Faull though, I think he looks as a genuine KP prospect, probably still hasn't shown off his contested marking this season but I seen enough of it last year to suggest he'll be an aerial threat as he matures.

Realistically, we could look to take 2 KP forwards, one with an earlier pick then we could like to take one as more of a development pick with later or rookie picks.
Faull did look impressive in the NAB futures game last year and that's why I remembered him but felt like he had the ability to stand on some people's heads, so haven't really seen that so far this year. I'll take your word for it that he can be a genuine kpf. Perhaps Tigers see their Reiwoldt replacement in Jonty.

Yeah Nicholls and Sims potential options as well. There's so many options. I hope we get at least one key forward.

What positions can Lalor play. No issue with the pick as long as they are not primarily centre square mids

He can play anywhere in the forward 50, has very very good goal kicking craft both at ground level and on the lead.

Spent a bit of time at half back for the Rebels last season.

roos_fanatic08 is the one who would knows the most. Looks to me Lalor could play centre wing HF HB. And maybe bit of a Zurhaar when pushed in the centre bounce

roos_fanatic08 is the one who would knows the most. Looks to me Lalor could play centre wing HF HB. And maybe bit of a Zurhaar when pushed in the centre bounce

He’s a much better natural midfielder than Zurhaar.

De Goey, Stringer (pre leg break) or Rockliff are better comparisons.

Lalor & Faull in for Vic County - Big Tick. River Stevens keeps his spot too!

Interesting that Tauru has come into the VC side, he wasn't in any of their initial squads, and I don't think he played in any of their trial games.

Keep an eye out on WA underager Wesley Walley, talk out of WA that he is one of the most exciting small forward to come through the junior systems since Kozzie Pickett. Electric pace and a tonne of talent around goals.

Keep an eye out on WA underager Wesley Walley, talk out of WA that he is one of the most exciting small forward to come through the junior systems since Kozzie Pickett. Electric pace and a tonne of talent around goals.
Wesley Walley = The World

Happy National Lampoon GIF by PeacockTV

Lalor & Faull in for Vic County - Big Tick. River Stevens keeps his spot too!

Interesting that Tauru has come into the VC side, he wasn't in any of their initial squads, and I don't think he played in any of their trial games.

Is his nickname gonna be "Where's Wally?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back