Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lalor & Faull in for Vic County - Big Tick. River Stevens keeps his spot too!

Interesting that Tauru has come into the VC side, he wasn't in any of their initial squads, and I don't think he played in any of their trial games.

Keep an eye out on WA underager Wesley Walley, talk out of WA that he is one of the most exciting small forward to come through the junior systems since Kozzie Pickett. Electric pace and a tonne of talent around goals.

Tauru was brought in on request of recruiters.

Geelong Grammar.

Kicked 7 against Wesley in his first game back.
Here is the article on this game:

AFL Draft 2024: Top prospect Sam Lalor kicks seven goals in return from injury for Geelong Grammar​

He is known as a midfielder, but this top-10 prospect dominated up forward for Geelong Grammar in his return from injury. And an emerging cricket star proved he is also handy with the Sherrin.

@danbatten_

2 min read
April 22, 2024 - 10:25AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Sam Lalor made an emphatic return. Picture: Alan Barber

Top draft prospect Sam Lalor made a stunning return from injury in Geelong Grammar’s season-opener against Wesley College, booting seven goals in his side’s narrow loss.

The Bacchus Marsh product had been kept out of action with both the AFL Academy and Coates League club GWV Rebels but made an emphatic statement in his first game of the year, kicking 7.3 and tallying 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 141 Premier Data ranking points.

With limited match fitness, Lalor played the majority of the first half through the midfield, kicking a goal, before he began cramping and was moved forward.

The bullocking 187cm midfielder went on to kick six goals in the second half, proving his worth as a potential top 10 talent in this year’s draft.

Geelong Grammar football director Troy Selwood said AFL recruiters watching on went in with low expectations but were thoroughly impressed by his display.
Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber

“They probably were tempering their expectations as to what he might put out as a first up run, but to be able to still find a way to really contribute despite being under duress in the second half, I think that really pleased the people watching,” Selwood said.

“Definitely was one of the more dominant performances I have seen at schoolboys football but obviously there is a lot more improvement left in his game once he gets some proper conditioning over the next month.

“It was quite impressive, he was still very short of a gallop but was able to show probably people who were watching that he has the ability to go forward and be a dangerous option inside forward 50.”

Here is the article on this game:

AFL Draft 2024: Top prospect Sam Lalor kicks seven goals in return from injury for Geelong Grammar​

He is known as a midfielder, but this top-10 prospect dominated up forward for Geelong Grammar in his return from injury. And an emerging cricket star proved he is also handy with the Sherrin.

@danbatten_

2 min read
April 22, 2024 - 10:25AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Top draft prospect Sam Lalor made a stunning return from injury in Geelong Grammar’s season-opener against Wesley College, booting seven goals in his side’s narrow loss.

The Bacchus Marsh product had been kept out of action with both the AFL Academy and Coates League club GWV Rebels but made an emphatic statement in his first game of the year, kicking 7.3 and tallying 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 141 Premier Data ranking points.

With limited match fitness, Lalor played the majority of the first half through the midfield, kicking a goal, before he began cramping and was moved forward.

The bullocking 187cm midfielder went on to kick six goals in the second half, proving his worth as a potential top 10 talent in this year’s draft.

Geelong Grammar football director Troy Selwood said AFL recruiters watching on went in with low expectations but were thoroughly impressed by his display.

“They probably were tempering their expectations as to what he might put out as a first up run, but to be able to still find a way to really contribute despite being under duress in the second half, I think that really pleased the people watching,” Selwood said.

“Definitely was one of the more dominant performances I have seen at schoolboys football but obviously there is a lot more improvement left in his game once he gets some proper conditioning over the next month.

“It was quite impressive, he was still very short of a gallop but was able to show probably people who were watching that he has the ability to go forward and be a dangerous option inside forward 50.”
"bullocking 187cm midfielder"

That might get Nostrils doubting his early crow on Smillie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what have Lalors injuries been this year?
From the start of the year a hip problem that wouldn't go away and later foot issues that's kept him out of action plus a few other minor things, 2nd up into the game against South Australia I would say he'll be better for the run but he'll probably play 60/40 midfield time and then going down forward.

By the end of the Championships I expect Sam to be in the top 10 of draft calculations, if not the end of the year!
I think he'll probably be 70% fit in only his second game back and that recruiters wouldn't be expecting anything to flash, wouldn't be shocked if he started out like a bullet in the first half before fitness tells in the second half, one last thing, a very big watch on underager Archie Ludowyke a key forward whom I'm expecting to throw down the mantle to midfielders in next years draft.

So where is this Lalor likely to fall in the draft? Top 3?
Some of the draft watchers have him in the middle. Smythe has him at 18 and Davo_27 has him at 27, he like all the boys have things to work on but I think that their July rankings will be a little bit different! ;)

Some of the draft watchers have him in the middle. Smythe has him at 18 and Davo_27 has him at 27, he like all the boys have things to work on but I think that their July rankings will be a little bit different! ;)
he was in the top 10 of some early early mocks thought wasnt he? so he hasnt come from no where?

shit I’m caught between FOS and Lalor opposed from the obvious mid choice we probably need in Smilie. I wonder if there is a way we can trade/death ride to land two of Lalor and Trainor. Impossible wishful thinking

shit I’m caught between FOS and Lalor opposed from the obvious mid choice we probably need in Smilie. I wonder if there is a way we can trade/death ride to land two of Lalor and Trainor. Impossible wishful thinking
Dream scenario for me if we end up with both. Don’t seeing us being able to pull that off though without our F1 in the conversation. And we don’t wanna do that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back