Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:

WAFL 2024: West Perth emerging forward Jasper Scaife draws inspiration from Buddy Franklin, Charlie Curnow​

Justin Bianchini
PerthNow - Joondalup
April 8, 2024 6:00PM

West Perth’s emerging key forward Jasper Scaife has been busy modelling himself on some of the power forwards of the AFL.

Scaife, who has slotted in alongside Falcons spearhead Tyler Keitel, kicked four majors in a breakout game against Perth on Saturday night in just his second game of league football.

“I’ve always looked up to Buddy Franklin, Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy from West Coast, Jeremy Cameron, Charlie Curnow,” he said. “Tyler Keitel - what a player he is.”

It’s been a smooth transition for the 19-year-old from reserves football last season into a key forward-ruck role in the firsts under the same mentor, Falcons first year league coach Jason Salecic.

“I had a pretty good pre-season,” Scaife said. “I had really clear messaging from the coaching and support staff of what I wanted out of myself, what they thought I could achieve.

“Last year was a big learning year for me. There is a different adjustment coming from colts footy and state footy to senior WAFL footy and trying to break into the league side.

“For me it was body composition, putting a few more kilos on and then getting as fit as I could which I definitely did.”

The 197cm’s kicking for goal has caught the eye of West Perth supporters, including club stalwart and former president Brett Raponi, and The West Australian football scribe Jackson Barrett who described him as laser-like.

Scaife, whose four goals was a game-high he shared with hardworking teammate Sasha Kernutt, said he was “absolutely” confident in his goalkicking and had put in a lot of practice over the years.

“It has come a little bit natural to me,” Scaife said of his shooting for goal.

“I’ve had such amazing support from around the club who’ve really helped me develop a routine that helps us stay consistent in big moments and luckily tonight (against Perth) I was able to cap off a few.”

Falcons forward Jasper Scaife after his breakout game against Perth.
Falcons forward Jasper Scaife after his breakout game against Perth. Credit: Justin Bianchini

His impressive debut games have not surprised his parents and three younger siblings who have watched the former Quinns Districts junior rise through the club’s development program and put in hard work in the gym and on the track.

Also part of the former Warwick Senior High School’s support crew on Saturday night were his girlfriend and her family, and holidaying cousins from the UK.

“He was running around at nine months and kicking balls at one year old,” mum Nicola said. “He’s driven, he’s focused.”

Scaife would love to be selected one day in an AFL draft – “it’s always been a goal of mine” – but for now he’s relishing playing in the faster tempo of league football with the Falcons.

“I’m happy but certainly not complacent,” he said.

“There’s still plenty of work to do. We’ll review this game well …and then move on to Subi.”

The Falcons are away to Subiaco this Saturday, April 13.
Well, certainly sounds like he has the right attitude and work ethic to make it. Good size, kicks straight, and sounds very coachable. I was keen on Howes after diligently watching 2mins 30 of highlights, but happy whichever way we go.

North Melbourne look set to prioritise finding Nick Larkey a key forward sidekick with what will likely be the No.1 pick in next week’s mid-season draft.

Two rival recruiters, who spoke anonymously to this masthead because they were discussing another club’s plans, believe West Perth’s Jasper Scaife, a 197-centimetre forward who turns 20 in September, is in the Roos’ sights.

The booming kick set to be top pick in the mid-season draft​

By Marc McGowan
May 21, 2024 — 3.37pm

Credit:
North Melbourne look set to prioritise finding Nick Larkey a key forward sidekick with what will likely be the No.1 pick in next week’s mid-season draft.

Two rival recruiters, who spoke anonymously to this masthead because they were discussing another club’s plans, believe West Perth’s Jasper Scaife, a 197-centimetre forward who turns 20 in September, is in the Roos’ sights.

Jasper Scaife is set to be picked up by North with the top selection in next week’s mid-season draft.

Jasper Scaife is set to be picked up by North with the top selection in next week’s mid-season draft.Credit: AFL Photos

Scaife’s coach, Jason Salecic, told this masthead he was confident Scaife would be a hit at AFL level if he landed in the right environment, after significant physical development and maturation as a person.

Many recruiting queries have centred on his social interactions, given he was once extremely shy and introverted, but Salecic credited teammates Shane Nelson and Zak Patterson with bringing him out of his shell.

“Jasper’s got a physical presence now, he’s got the height, he’s an elite kick on his left and right foot – and that includes his field kicking – and he is a good overhead mark,” Salecic said.

“He’s not a real pack mark, as such, but that’s an area he continues to work on … I have no doubt he will succeed if he gets to the right club – but if he doesn’t, he can go play in the NFL [as a punter]. He was playing in the ruck in a pre-season game, and he kicked one from behind the centre circle, and it landed in the goal square.”

Scaife’s work ethic is also famed at the Falcons. He arrived early to training on the Monday after kicking four goals against Perth in round two to take shots from the spot where he had a rare miss.

He will play this weekend for West Perth ahead of the mid-season draft, which will be held next Wednesday night, May 29, with ladder positions to determine the order clubs will pick.

Teams must have at least one list vacancy to take part, with the injury-hit Brisbane Lions to make at least three and up to four selections. There were 13 players picked in last year’s draft, and recruiters expect a similar number this year.

Jai Newcombe, John Noble, Marlion Pickett, Sam Durham and Ryan Gardner are among the success stories to arrive at AFL clubs via the mid-season draft.

Jai Newcombe joined Hawthorn via the mid-season draft.

Jai Newcombe joined Hawthorn via the mid-season draft.Credit: AFL Photos

North are winless through 10 rounds, so another defeat on Saturday to Port Adelaide in Hobart – the venue where they won in round 24 last year to hand West Coast the rights to Harley Reid – would guarantee them the top selection, ahead of Richmond, who have just one victory in 2024.

The Kangaroos previously took Jacob Edwards at No.1 in the 2021 mid-season draft, but he did not come close to playing a senior game despite plenty of hype initially.

Scaife, a Fremantle Next Generation Academy member who was overlooked in last year’s drafts, has not been as prolific in his past three games but boasts separate bags of four and three goals this season in the WAFL.

He is one of 24 players, including fellow top prospects Jack Hutchinson, Jacob Blight and Joe Pike, plus ex-AFL pair Brynn Teakle and Matt Ling, who will undergo medical testing ahead of the draft, at AFL clubs’ request.

The Tigers are considered a strong chance to pick in-form Peel Thunder key defender Blight, in part because Josh Gibcus (knee) is out for the season and Dylan Grimes may retire at season’s end.

North Melbourne have not spoken to Blight despite also having a need for key defenders. They selected Wil Dawson for his AFL debut at the weekend and are awaiting Griffin Logue’s return from an ACL rupture.

Their interest in Scaife coincides with coach Alastair Clarkson revealing after Sunday’s defeat to Essendon that the long-term plan was still for Charlie Comben, who has excelled down back this year, to be a forward-ruck.

The Roos played usual-defender Toby Pink alongside Larkey in attack against the Bombers, and have lost Callum Coleman-Jones (Achilles) for the rest of the season.

Scaife would be a forward partner for Roos star Nick Larkey.

Scaife would be a forward partner for Roos star Nick Larkey.Credit: AFL Photos

Collingwood’s 190-centimetre VFL forward Hutchinson is in the mix to be one of the first names read out, too, but is similar in height to North trio Cam Zurhaar, Zane Duursma and Jaidyn Stephenson.

Others rated a good chance of finding an AFL home next week include Woodville-West Torrens defender Luke Beecken, North Adelaide pressure forward Kelsey Rypstra, South Adelaide key forward Noah Howes, and South Australia’s under-18 captain from last year, Will Patton.

Forwards Oskar Smartt and Will McLachlan are two of Victoria’s leading candidates.

Hawthorn NGA ruckman Iliro Smit has also caught the eye playing for Eastern Ranges, while 200-centimetre ruck-forward Toby Murray could become the third member of his family to play in the AFL, behind Crow Nick and ex-Pie and Swan Sam.

St Kilda are committed to drafting a player from VFL affiliate Sandringham each year. This time around it could be 190-centimetre utility Max Benier, who played the past two matches for the Zebras after starting the season at Old Brighton.

Geelong and Melbourne are among the clubs interested in 200-centimetre Sandringham Dragons and Port Melbourne Colts defender Lachie Voss, sources told this masthead.
"Two rival recruiters, who spoke anonymously to this masthead because they were discussing another club’s plans, believe West Perth’s Jasper Scaife, a 197-centimetre forward who turns 20 in September, is in the Roos’ sights."

What a weird premise for an article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scaife has busted his ass to get his shot, after being overlooked in his draft year he has added close to 10kg to his frame. Despite being only 20 he looks as though he has the body of a 25 year old.

That work ethic alone will hold him in good stead in an AFL environment.

I like the upside of Howes, but his injury history has me a bit wary.

We would be stupid not to get him, i really hope we don't go for a med size zurhaar replacement or a undersized mid who apparently look solidly built.

We need key forward, i.e. 195cm+ key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back