List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniels is one of the most important players at the club. All his effort KPI’s are through the roof and he is one of the biggest influence players on our game outcomes. Wish we could have a team of guys that give his consistent effort every week. Love him.
As I’ve said before Stormy is our trump card, things mushroom when he gets the ball

I previously posed the question of what fans' views were of our needs and who might fill them, assuming the expected departures, but keeping Pez & Cheese. Now, I'll pose the question - if Pez and/or Cheese leave, who are a couple of names we might look to the draft to replace them with? Although, as per some previous discussion, also happy to take views on trades (or FAs) who might fill the bill.

Obviously, who we can get will come down to where the FA compensation falls (or alternatively, you might use our normal first round pick if you really like someone who you think would be a good fit). For mine, I'd like to hope Pez if he leaves it would be for a megadeal that nets us a band 1 pick, but could be an end of round 1 (band 2) pick. Cheese is more likely to be a band 2 or even band 3 pick.

Some options I think would be good are below. I would offer that both Bo Allan and Harvey Langford, whom I noted as possibles for the midfielder role, could also be considered in a defensive role - probably more in a Pez-type of replacement (not exactly the same style of player though). RMC has Tobie Travaglia rated at #22 (which means he could fall into a compo pick region), but I think he'll go much higher than that in reality, closer to top 10 but perhaps just outside. If nothing else, he'd add to our list of players with the same sounding name! To me, he probably fits closer to a Cumming replacement, with a greater emphasis on counterattack than defence. Harrison Oliver from Vic Metro is more likely rated in the 20s; while smaller, he's an accurate kicker, so would improve our rebound from defence. Lachie Jacques is a lower-rated defender from Geelong, but did make the U18 AA team. He seems a good athlete, particularly with what he possesses aerially, showing a consistent ability to intercept. He can hold up defensively in one-on-one situations but also offer a bit of run coming out of D50, although his kicking may be a touch problematic at the next level. Finally - and I'd love PMBangers thoughts - what about Jack Ough as an option? A utility player, who's been played on the wing, in defence, and now in the middle, he was a originally seen as a late draft chance whose stocks seem to be rising recently on the back of good performance across multiple roles. He's tall, with speed, and if selected with a compensation pick is he the great type of utility player who could be trialled in multiple roles, or even neatly fit a bench role at AFL level to cover multiple positions.

Tobie Travaglia​

Bendigo Pioneers| Midfielder-Defender
height:187cm
D.O.B:26-10-2006

GUTSY UTILITY

Travaglia has all the makings of a promising draft prospect, and has pushed himself into first round considerations. Having plied his trade on the wing as a bottom-ager, he has thrived with a move to defence this season to average 25 disposals, five marks and five tackles in his eight Coates Talent League games. Travaglia’s versatility is boundless, having also spent time in midfield with a rotation to the forwardline. He featured in defence for Vic Country, showcasing his gutsy intercept marking and aerial range to go with a high work rate and terrific turn of speed on the rebound. At 187cm with dynamism and the ability to play several roles, Travaglia is one to keep an eye on.

LAST MONTH:

Travaglia’s representative campaign was nothing short of outstanding. The Vic Country co-captain provided dash and dare in a variety of roles, and bookended his carnival strongly. The utility was prolific in games one (24 disposals, seven marks) and four (25 disposals, nine marks), and is unlucky not to feature higher on this list given his array of traits.

Harrison Oliver​

Sandringham Dragons| Defender
height:181cm
D.O.B:15-06-2006

THE HEARTBEAT

Sandringham Dragons coach Rob Harding described Oliver as the “heartbeat” of his side during preseason, and he has lived up to that description this season. The tough rebound defender is incisive with ball in hand, boasting terrific foot skills and decision making. He’s constantly on the move and can mop up across the backline, before shifting tact to turn his focus into attack mode. Before heading off to school football, Oliver showed promising signs with averages of 15.3 disposals and 2.3 rebound 50s for the Dragons. His best may well be yet to come as clubs push him into top 20 calculations.

LAST MONTH:

Oliver boosted his stocks throughout the National Championships, but especially in game one against the Allies where he had 25 disposals, six marks and five rebound 50s in tough conditions. He’s a combative small defender who sets up the play, running at 83 per cent efficiency per his average 16.2 disposals. Above all, Oliver’s piercing left-foot kicking is his standout attribute. The sharp and incisive half-back remained a reliable figure behind the ball for Vic Metro despite leaner returns, and remains in contention to push into a very competitive top 20.

Lachie Jaques​

Geelong Falcons / Defender
Height: 184cm
D.O.B: 01-06-2006

A medium defender who shows great ability to read the cues and intercept mark then use the ball with precision on the rebound. He averaged 16.2 disposals at 78.5% efficiency and 4.8 marks to be a composed player down back for Victoria Country throughout the Championships.

Jaxon Artemis​

South Fremantle/WA / Defender, wing
Height: 180cm or 185cm (I've seen both)
D.O.B: 24-08-2006

Jaxon won the WA champs MVP. He is an excellent user of the ball, can run all day and takes the game on breaking lines and delivering the ball well. Took most of the kick outs for WA and hit targets long and short, when hitting the short target his teammates generally tried to give it back to him to run it out of defense and send it forward, plenty of upside with athletic traits and excellent ball use.

Jack Ough​

GWV Revels / Utility
Height: 194cm
D.O.B: 15-12-2006

There's no single write-up on Jack because he's not that highly rated, and didn't play in the U18 Championships. perhaps PMBangers could provide a decent overview of all of his skills and potential?

What do other fans think?

I previously posed the question of what fans' views were of our needs and who might fill them, assuming the expected departures, but keeping Pez & Cheese. Now, I'll pose the question - if Pez and/or Cheese leave, who are a couple of names we might look to the draft to replace them with? Although, as per some previous discussion, also happy to take views on trades (or FAs) who might fill the bill.

Obviously, who we can get will come down to where the FA compensation falls (or alternatively, you might use our normal first round pick if you really like someone who you think would be a good fit). For mine, I'd like to hope Pez if he leaves it would be for a megadeal that nets us a band 1 pick, but could be an end of round 1 (band 2) pick. Cheese is more likely to be a band 2 or even band 3 pick.

Some options I think would be good are below. I would offer that both Bo Allan and Harvey Langford, whom I noted as possibles for the midfielder role, could also be considered in a defensive role - probably more in a Pez-type of replacement (not exactly the same style of player though). RMC has Tobie Travaglia rated at #22 (which means he could fall into a compo pick region), but I think he'll go much higher than that in reality, closer to top 10 but perhaps just outside. If nothing else, he'd add to our list of players with the same sounding name! To me, he probably fits closer to a Cumming replacement, with a greater emphasis on counterattack than defence. Harrison Oliver from Vic Metro is more likely rated in the 20s; while smaller, he's an accurate kicker, so would improve our rebound from defence. Lachie Jacques is a lower-rated defender from Geelong, but did make the U18 AA team. He seems a good athlete, particularly with what he possesses aerially, showing a consistent ability to intercept. He can hold up defensively in one-on-one situations but also offer a bit of run coming out of D50, although his kicking may be a touch problematic at the next level. Finally - and I'd love PMBangers thoughts - what about Jack Ough as an option? A utility player, who's been played on the wing, in defence, and now in the middle, he was a originally seen as a late draft chance whose stocks seem to be rising recently on the back of good performance across multiple roles. He's tall, with speed, and if selected with a compensation pick is he the great type of utility player who could be trialled in multiple roles, or even neatly fit a bench role at AFL level to cover multiple positions.

Tobie Travaglia​

Bendigo Pioneers| Midfielder-Defender
height:187cm
D.O.B:26-10-2006

GUTSY UTILITY

Travaglia has all the makings of a promising draft prospect, and has pushed himself into first round considerations. Having plied his trade on the wing as a bottom-ager, he has thrived with a move to defence this season to average 25 disposals, five marks and five tackles in his eight Coates Talent League games. Travaglia’s versatility is boundless, having also spent time in midfield with a rotation to the forwardline. He featured in defence for Vic Country, showcasing his gutsy intercept marking and aerial range to go with a high work rate and terrific turn of speed on the rebound. At 187cm with dynamism and the ability to play several roles, Travaglia is one to keep an eye on.

LAST MONTH:

Travaglia’s representative campaign was nothing short of outstanding. The Vic Country co-captain provided dash and dare in a variety of roles, and bookended his carnival strongly. The utility was prolific in games one (24 disposals, seven marks) and four (25 disposals, nine marks), and is unlucky not to feature higher on this list given his array of traits.

Harrison Oliver​

Sandringham Dragons| Defender
height:181cm
D.O.B:15-06-2006

THE HEARTBEAT

Sandringham Dragons coach Rob Harding described Oliver as the “heartbeat” of his side during preseason, and he has lived up to that description this season. The tough rebound defender is incisive with ball in hand, boasting terrific foot skills and decision making. He’s constantly on the move and can mop up across the backline, before shifting tact to turn his focus into attack mode. Before heading off to school football, Oliver showed promising signs with averages of 15.3 disposals and 2.3 rebound 50s for the Dragons. His best may well be yet to come as clubs push him into top 20 calculations.

LAST MONTH:

Oliver boosted his stocks throughout the National Championships, but especially in game one against the Allies where he had 25 disposals, six marks and five rebound 50s in tough conditions. He’s a combative small defender who sets up the play, running at 83 per cent efficiency per his average 16.2 disposals. Above all, Oliver’s piercing left-foot kicking is his standout attribute. The sharp and incisive half-back remained a reliable figure behind the ball for Vic Metro despite leaner returns, and remains in contention to push into a very competitive top 20.

Lachie Jaques​

Geelong Falcons / Defender
Height: 184cm
D.O.B: 01-06-2006

A medium defender who shows great ability to read the cues and intercept mark then use the ball with precision on the rebound. He averaged 16.2 disposals at 78.5% efficiency and 4.8 marks to be a composed player down back for Victoria Country throughout the Championships.

Jaxon Artemis​

South Fremantle/WA / Defender, wing
Height: 180cm or 185cm (I've seen both)
D.O.B: 24-08-2006

Jaxon won the WA champs MVP. He is an excellent user of the ball, can run all day and takes the game on breaking lines and delivering the ball well. Took most of the kick outs for WA and hit targets long and short, when hitting the short target his teammates generally tried to give it back to him to run it out of defense and send it forward, plenty of upside with athletic traits and excellent ball use.

Jack Ough​

GWV Revels / Utility
Height: 194cm
D.O.B: 15-12-2006

There's no single write-up on Jack because he's not that highly rated, and didn't play in the U18 Championships. perhaps PMBangers could provide a decent overview of all of his skills and potential?

What do other fans think?
Oliver would be an amazing get for us, he's one I'd be ecstatic to get if we do lose Cumming or Pez.

Ough's an interesting one, obviously has the size and athletic base that gets tongues wagging. I didn't love him in defense but perhaps his recent form could translate if he were to move back, confidence does wonders after all. His ball use is fine without being exceptional, his ground balls are good for his size which is generally a big thing for me. He does most of his damage when linking up multiple times in the same chain, which certainly for a side that does do a bit of damage by hand on the overlap isn't the worst trait.

A question for the draft watchers... Can anyone remember the pick movements we made in last year's draft?

I was wondering how we might feel looking back after nearly a year.

We gave up the opportunity of trading for West Coast's future 1st round pick which would've been pick 3 this year and instead traded back. In doing so we got Leake and Gothard where otherwise I think we would've gotten only one of them at best?

A question for the draft watchers... Can anyone remember the pick movements we made in last year's draft?

We gave up the opportunity of trading for West Coast's future 1st round pick which would've been pick 3 this year and instead traded back. In doing so we got Leake and Gothard where otherwise I think we would've gotten only one of them at best?
Im keen to see Leake and Gothard next year.

We traded back with Adelaide initially, getting their future second round pick. That allowed them to grab Dan Curtin (who just debuted), and we could take Gothard. But then we gave up that second to Saints to swap places with them and guarantee Leake.

I was not convinced that the second trade was needed, and remain of that opinion. But, anyway.

Essentially we gave up 8 and 21 for 12 and 17. Wasn't a great trade (I think -200 points) but it allowed us to get the players we wanted. I can't remember what the trade was with West Coast but if it was 8 and 21 for pick 3, it's pretty much equal in value to the other trade (-250ish). Given it was a gamble I think we made the correct choice in sticking with the players we were eyeing.

Obviously it would've been great to keep that second rounder (currently pick 24), but I think everyone thought that Adelaide would've been much better this season.

Just to clarify, I'm only using points to roughly compare values.

We traded back with Adelaide initially, getting their future second round pick. That allowed them to grab Dan Curtin (who just debuted), and we could take Gothard. But then we gave up that second to Saints to swap places with them and guarantee Leake.

I was not convinced that the second trade was needed, and remain of that opinion. But, anyway.
Either was trading up from 3 to get pick 1 when Cads would have been available at pick 3.
Trading to get pick 2 would have been OK.
As for last year, I think west coast was wanting pick 7, 2024r2 for their 2024r1 ( or something like that).
We have done well with future firsts, someone should analyse all the future first trades and see how they have gone. Pretty terribly I think ( certainly for Collingwood, could turn Nick Daicos career from 4 flags to 1. Still 1 is better than nothing).

I remember in an interview a few years back that he is not so worried about winning trades and getting fair value for picks in the end it's about having a draft hand strong enough to get the players you want.
Last year he wanted Phoenix and Leake and got them.
Resonated with me, immediately thought of guys like Dodoro and SOS who often end up from the outside winning the trades, but haven't exactly drafted great lists.

Christian Petracca might be available?
Would we be any chance, I think Melbourne would ask for too much, namely Finn Callaghan.

Last edited:
Christian Petracca might be available?
Would we be any chance, I think Melbourne would add for too much, namely Finn Callaghan.
Of course we would want him.
Question is always at what cost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in an interview a few years back that he is not so worried about winning trades and getting fair value for picks in the end it's about having a draft hand strong enough to get the players you want.
Last year he wanted Phoenix and Leake and got them.
Resonated with me, immediately thought of guys like Dodoro and SOS who often end up from the outside winning the trades, but haven't exactly drafted great lists.
Yeah bang on. He talked about taking the risk out of the equation. That's why that Cadman deal was important. We needed to go after a tall then and you have to make those sacrifices if you're unsure.

I almost guarantee its come from lived experience of them thinking a player will make it to them and they haven't.

I was steadfast that we should take Caddy last year. He's showed a lot at Essendon, but I'm still excited to see Gothard pop up and do some damage.

Leake also looks like he's progressed massively in the VFL. Pretty big for a mid. I feel like in that 'next gen' we are maybe just one premium mid short....but hopefully Rowston or Leake can become that it'd be awesome. At this stage Peatling is becoming it 😂 he can sign a contract now

What about Keeffe for 2025?
Do we want to resign, if not will someone else make him an offer.
I think Melbourne might, they need cover in the KPD, and ruck areas. They signed Fullerton from Brisbane but didn't play him when Gawn was out.

What about Keeffe for 2025?
Do we want to resign, if not will someone else make him an offer.
I think Melbourne might, they need cover in the KPD, and ruck areas. They signed Fullerton from Brisbane but didn't play him when Gawn was out.
I think we re-sign Keefe for 2025. He did well against Brisbane and is also an insurance policy in case something bad happens to Briggs? Unlikely that Preuss will ever play for us again, and Madden is yet to debut so unsure how he will perform at afl level?

Should we be concerned that there are still 11 players left whose contracts expire at the end of this season? I don’t remember this many players whose futures are still undecided this close to season end. I know we have made offers to some (Perryman, Cummings etc), but it would be good if we announce any retirements/ departures before our last home game against Fremantle, so that we can show our appreciation for the services rendered. I would assume players like Preuss and Kennedy are not going to get an offer?

Think Keefe last weekend has shown we need that utility style resting ruck fwd.
Makes me think we will still make a play for Elliott
Im under the impression we confirmed we wont approach Elliot

I think we re-sign Keefe for 2025. He did well against Brisbane and is also an insurance policy in case something bad happens to Briggs? Unlikely that Preuss will ever play for us again, and Madden is yet to debut so unsure how he will perform at afl level?
assuming he wants to go on, he probably gets another year.

Should we be concerned that there are still 11 players left whose contracts expire at the end of this season? I don’t remember this many players whose futures are still undecided this close to season end. I know we have made offers to some (Perryman, Cummings etc), but it would be good if we announce any retirements/ departures before our last home game against Fremantle, so that we can show our appreciation for the services rendered. I would assume players like Preuss and Kennedy are not going to get an offer?
probably alot that we are waiting to see what some do before we talk to others.

I think it is a happy lot, but we are likely to lose a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back