List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

All I have seen of our academy players is the 3 allies games. But I would be surprised if there were any early bids for our players. The Allies are not as strong this year and there is less exposure for them in the second half of the season. I feel there will be more attention on Victorian players and other academy players.

Cochran looks the most likely with his raw athletic potential. But he still seems a long term defensive prospect that will take a bit of development.

Though our 2 under age Allies players look promising at this stage. Carmichael looks very composed with his ball use. Chamberlain was a useful target at half forward.
Only worry for us in the next couple years imo atm is how does matching at pick 30 work if pick 40 has no value. I don't 100% understand that atm and thats where it seems alot of our academy boys will fall in the next 2 drafts. Think Cochran, King, Chamberlin & Carmichael all are in that 30-45 range of their respect drafts.

Only worry for us in the next couple years imo atm is how does matching at pick 30 work if pick 40 has no value. I don't 100% understand that atm and thats where it seems alot of our academy boys will fall in the next 2 drafts. Think Cochran, King, Chamberlin & Carmichael all are in that 30-45 range of their respect drafts.

Well they can develop at other clubs and then request trades back to Sydney

Well they can develop at other clubs and then request trades back to Sydney
Finally we can have equality with the go home factor and put clubs to shame about doing it to us each year. But in all honesty i think we get them and might just need to trade future seconds in 2025 to get more seconds in the 2025 draft.

I guess it depends on how highly rated King, Chamberlain & Carmichael are within the club.

List spots seem tighter this season. So we could just trade North's priority pick 19 for multiple 2nd round future picks. If we were concerned about having points for next season's draft.

Also we don't know what the new bidding system will be. It might not be a complete cut-off for points value at pick 40.

I guess it depends on how highly rated King, Chamberlain & Carmichael are within the club.

List spots seem tighter this season. So we could just trade North's priority pick 19 for multiple 2nd round future picks. If we were concerned about having points for next season's draft.

Also we don't know what the new bidding system will be. It might not be a complete cut-off for points value at pick 40.
2025 i suspect we will be fine for list spots as a lot of the legends move on. Rampe, Parker, Ladhams, possible Fox and i suspect Buller will all be gone so that will open up enough list spots for the possibility of 4 bid matches. You also have Lloyd OOC and 32 years old so he might be moved on but i also suspect that atleast 1 of McNamara, King, Chamberlin or Carmichael will slip to the rookies, helping us to match. I don't think we will have too much of an issue as it doesn't look like King is even noted much due to missing everything recently with injury and some other under agers have stolen the show at the national champs etc.

Its a massive loss for Geelong they hate losing players will be interesting how they react.

They'll get value, they always do

They feast on clubs like GC and GWS when they can, and then, when it comes time to part with a player it's hardball and/or nothing - see Kelly and Ratagolea

Can't work out if I hate them or respect them for it

More than I was expecting - years and money. Geelong can feel a bit peeved that doesn't get the job done

Nah we got him for nothing and he's basically going to be a 2 time AA player and was huge in us winning the Premiership, we just don't overpay anyone so sometimes that backfires when guys are looking to get a pay day.
If he wants to walk it's cause he's maximising his $$$$

We get a first round compo pick and can swing it for Bailey Smith to fill a position of need.

We grabbed Mannagh at the draft for insurance in case Tyson walked.

First of all i'll preface that these rankings will change over time. But, the only positive we can really take out of this is that our Swans boys (mostly Cochran) aren't highly rated enough to stuff us truly over when the new rules come in. Also hard for us to get a gauge of who to pick up with our firsts as they will most likely be 23-25. Still happy that Langford is having a good carnival and not top 20 yet, but i have a sneaky suspicion he is one that rises rapidly like Leake last year within the last few weeks before the draft.

Hardly a shock the others have more exposed form. Cochran probably goes late if at all in the National Draft. Edwards was the same rated a year early and fell to the rookie draft

Hardly a shock the others have more exposed form. Cochran probably goes late if at all in the National Draft. Edwards was the same rated a year early and fell to the rookie draft
Good if he keeps falling then we can switch our picks back into the future drafts potentially to get like a pick 40 or something from a couple of thirds a fourth etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we will be looking to get a KPD this trade period or just go to the draft?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We just re-signed two KPDs in Snell and Edwards so I doubt we will be drafting another one. We then have Francis, Hamling, and Arnold as more mature options - not sure how many more we need as backup.

Like a couple of others in the seniors, Francis has a couple of terrific attributes - eg reading the bal in flight and taking intercept marks but some real deficits such as pace and kicking.

Everything about him yells ‘great bloke’ and I expect the Club will do its utmost to help should he wish to move.

I’m keeping a eye on what Francis decides to do beyond this year
I'm betting that Arnold and Reid are delisted.
Edwards, Hamling, Melican, Rampe OOC 2025
McCartin, Snell 2027.
Given that we have played Francis ahead of Hamling I suspect we'll offer Francis a year unless we think Edwards is ready.
Then Rampe retires or one more year, Hamling retires.
Cochran in the draft.
No way we trade in a KPD.

I'm sure they would do their best if that is his wish, but they might also be keen to keep him on as a back-up. Need players of that calibre on the list too that don't cost too much. Can fill in up forward at a pinch too.

Edit: Francis, that is.

I’m keeping a eye on what Francis decides to do beyond this year
Or, indeed, what the club decides to do re Francis beyond this year. Clearly he’s the first cab off the rank from the VFL team if we need a tall defender. But if they think Snell and/or Edwards can take that step next season, they might choose to jettison the out-of-contract Francis. Especially if Hamling plays out the season in good health and so provides a break-glass option in defence next year. (He is contracted.)

I used to think that a player contributing at senior level in a season, even if only on the fringes, made them likely to earn a new contract. But the way we cut Ryan Clarke at the end of last season suggests not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back