List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

So the longer this season drags on without McDonald putting pen to paper the higher the odds are that he goes. Assuming the worst and he leave to play elsewhere what do you think we do with our forward line?

Do we go for another similar young developing player like one of the King boys, Darcy, JUH, etc.
Do we go for a cheaper stop gap like a Chol, Casboult, Langford, etc.
Do we go to the draft and try to recruit another top line forward and trust the reserve players to step up in the meantime.
Do we go with a combination of the two latter.

Personally I don't think the draft on it's own is a viable option. Key forwards just take too long to develop and our window is open now.
I also don't know if the salary cap will allow us to keep everyone we need to if we have to overpay to get a big fish out of another club. If we could I would love to see us test the waters for Lukosius. He's about the right age and with his kicking skills would be a great fit.
Considering how our forward line has been structured with the 3 talls now I would think we might just need to settle for a cheaper mature option. Not sure of exactly who but with our elite forward 50 entries it will make average players look better.

I'm saying all this I'm still hoping he signs with us and it isn't necessary to consider replacements.

So the longer this season drags on without McDonald putting pen to paper the higher the odds are that he goes. Assuming the worst and he leave to play elsewhere what do you think we do with our forward line?

Do we go for another similar young developing player like one of the King boys, Darcy, JUH, etc.
Do we go to the draft and try to recruit another top line forward and trust the reserve players to step up in the meantime.

Personally I don't think the draft on it's own is a viable option. Key forwards just take too long to develop and our window is open now.
I also don't know if the salary cap will allow us to keep everyone we need to if we have to overpay to get a big fish out of another club. If we could I would love to see us test the waters for Lukosius. He's about the right age and with his kicking skills would be a great fit.
Considering how our forward line has been structured with the 3 talls now I would think we might just need to settle for a cheaper mature option. Not sure of exactly who but with our elite forward 50 entries it will make average players look better.

I'm saying all this I'm still hoping he signs with us and it isn't necessary to consider replacements.
I don’t think he is going anywhere his management will be trying to shake every last $ out. Who would want to leave the 🩸 🩸 especially at the moment.

I don’t think he is going anywhere his management will be trying to shake every last $ out. Who would want to leave the 🩸 🩸 especially at the moment.
Yeah I am thinking the same but hypothetically if he did leave then what would he our response?

If I were him I'd be signing now.. He's not going to have a 50+ goal season so there's not much for him to gain holding off.

I think he'll re-sign. Haven't heard anything this year, but based on previous mail, he loves the Swans and wants to stay.

If it did happen, I think we'd have a look at a few players that we believe could be a handy part of a flag side (similar to last year), but I wouldn't be bothering with a stop-gap. Try to get a best 22 player or failing that just adjust our structure IMO. Parker's still got another year - I could see us just rolling with McLean and Amartey and then having Parker play as a quasi-KPF until we've got a reasonable replacement.

I know he's undersized, but I think he would provide as much as any stop-gap option. Very strong one-on-one and one of the best finishers in the squad in front of goals. I also think Ladhams would provide as much as any stop-gap option and would have a higher upside (not including Langford of those you listed - he's more than a stop-gap and Essendon wouldn't let him go).

In any case, like I said, I'm confident he'll re-sign, so should be irrelevant.

I feel like people are forgetting that clubs would ask for like 3 or so FRPs just to get these good young KPFs that are contracted already like the Kings and JUH etc

I feel like people are forgetting that clubs would ask for like 3 or so FRPs just to get these good young KPFs that are contracted already like the Kings and JUH etc

Yep honestly would be keeping an eye on the Dogs though something has to give they have Naughton, Darcy, JUH and Croft. They can’t all play surely

Yep honestly would be keeping an eye on the Dogs though something has to give they have Naughton, Darcy, JUH and Croft. They can’t all play surely
I hope Buller's back comes good. He wouldn't replace the work rate that Logan provides but would be better than a kid. Not sure there are any stopgaps who are better.
At a pinch maybe Hamling is good enough for a season or two.
Croft would be the best bet IMO if we could pry him loose. One year in the system but an awful lot in front of him. This draft isn't supposed to be great for talls.

I hope Buller's back comes good. He wouldn't replace the work rate that Logan provides but would be better than a kid. Not sure there are any stopgaps who are better.
At a pinch maybe Hamling is good enough for a season or two.
Croft would be the best bet IMO if we could pry him loose. One year in the system but an awful lot in front of him. This draft isn't supposed to be great for talls.
TBH agree with this if your referencing top end guys but in the back end of the first round given the matching etc that should occur i reckon we could potentially grab a tall forward alongside a medium tall forward

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.28.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.28.04 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.27.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.27.57 PM.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.27.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.27.52 PM.png
    63 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.27.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 2.27.47 PM.png
    63 KB · Views: 19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH agree with this if your referencing top end guys but in the back end of the first round given the matching etc that should occur i reckon we could potentially grab a tall forward alongside a medium tall forward
Given that we appear to be in the window I imagine the club would prefer if at all possible to recruit someone who is ready to go or very near than a project tall who is three years away.
Hopefully it's all moot when Logan re-signs and Buller's back comes good.
Then maybe a project tall or medium forward comes into play.

Given that we appear to be in the window I imagine the club would prefer if at all possible to recruit someone who is ready to go or very near than a project tall who is three years away.
Hopefully it's all moot when Logan re-signs and Buller's back comes good.
Then maybe a project tall or medium forward comes into play.
You just don't get ready made products out of the draft so that is just wishful thinking and its also poor to always just want ready made guys rather than the next generation of talent. We have also pretty much always been in the window since 1996 we have missed finals 5 times. So i would say going Youth is much better than trying to go for the big money move as if the big money move fails it potentially pushes the club backwards. Not many big moves also work either

You just don't get ready made products out of the draft so that is just wishful thinking and its also poor to always just want ready made guys rather than the next generation of talent. We have also pretty much always been in the window since 1996 we have missed finals 5 times. So i would say going Youth is much better than trying to go for the big money move as if the big money move fails it potentially pushes the club backwards. Not many big moves also work either
WTF? Can you read? Where did I say get a ready made player from the draft? Not wasting my time on you again.

WTF? Can you read? Where did I say get a ready made player from the draft? Not wasting my time on you again.
Your an absolute nuffy that clearly didn't read the whole of my post as the last line and i quote the last line says:

"Youth is much better than trying to go for the big money move as if the big money move fails it potentially pushes the club backwards. Not many big moves also work either".

Look at the struggles of Freo, Eagles & Adelaide who all have recently made big money moves for stars and they are struggling to make the 8 because they have no depth that they could have drafted. It is alot better to just draft players with the 2 FRPs we have this year rather than trade for someone who would have to want to come to Sydney and it would also put into doubt our ability to re-sign Warner and others next year if we have already discounted for not Re-signing Hayward and McDonald.

Your an absolute nuffy that clearly didn't read the whole of my post as the last line and i quote the last line says:

"Youth is much better than trying to go for the big money move as if the big money move fails it potentially pushes the club backwards. Not many big moves also work either".

Look at the struggles of Freo, Eagles & Adelaide who all have recently made big money moves for stars and they are struggling to make the 8 because they have no depth that they could have drafted. It is alot better to just draft players with the 2 FRPs we have this year rather than trade for someone who would have to want to come to Sydney and it would also put into doubt our ability to re-sign Warner and others next year if we have already discounted for not Re-signing Hayward and McDonald.
Freo are in the 8, so I’m not sure what struggles you are referring to.

West Coast traded in Tim Kelly back at the end of 2019. Not really a recent trade and given the age of their core best players at the time worth the punt.

Adelaide have traded in Dawson who’s been a star for them and Rankine who’s probably the player who can win a game for them with some brilliance.

Draft picks are the most overrated commodity. We lost a former pick 5 for one of those highly anticipated first round picks that you want to hold.

Freo are in the 8, so I’m not sure what struggles you are referring to.

West Coast traded in Tim Kelly back at the end of 2019. Not really a recent trade and given the age of their core best players at the time worth the punt.

Adelaide have traded in Dawson who’s been a star for them and Rankine who’s probably the player who can win a game for them with some brilliance.

Draft picks are the most overrated commodity. We lost a former pick 5 for one of those highly anticipated first round picks that you want to hold.
Lets think of in the past decade the big trades and how they worked out for the sides

Sydney picked up Buddy Frankling without spending anything but it strapped us cap wise and we lost alot of depth pieces and never won a flag.

Brisbane - Traded for Beams in 2014 and finished in the bottom two for the proceeding 3 years and only made finals once he left

Geelong - 2015 Traded for Dangerfield who was an absolute legend of the game but it only brought team success in 2022 7 years post trade

Port Adelaide - Traded pick 10 and a FSRP for Charlie Dixon in 2015 and haven't won a flag since

Collingwood - Traded pick 8 and a Future FRP for Treloar in 2015 and only won a premiership after they moved him to the Bulldogs

Essendon - 2017 traded 25 and 30 for Stringer and haven't made finals since

Bulldogs - Traded 25 and 40 for Josh Schache and he played like what 10 games for the Bulldogs and didn't help them at all

North Melbourne - Traded Pick 11 for Pittard and Polec who were both horrific for them in 2018

Hawthorn - 2018 traded for Wingard for Burton + 15 + 35 + 2019 4th and they haven't made finals since

9 examples in the space of what 6 years and there are countless others and with my research i found maybe 2-3 that worked that involved picks inside the top 30.

Lets think of in the past decade the big trades and how they worked out for the sides

Sydney picked up Buddy Frankling without spending anything but it strapped us cap wise and we lost alot of depth pieces and never won a flag.

Brisbane - Traded for Beams in 2014 and finished in the bottom two for the proceeding 3 years and only made finals once he left

Geelong - 2015 Traded for Dangerfield who was an absolute legend of the game but it only brought team success in 2022 7 years post trade

Port Adelaide - Traded pick 10 and a FSRP for Charlie Dixon in 2015 and haven't won a flag since

Collingwood - Traded pick 8 and a Future FRP for Treloar in 2015 and only won a premiership after they moved him to the Bulldogs

Bulldogs - Traded 25 and 40 for Josh Schache and he played like what 10 games for the Bulldogs and didn't help them at all

North Melbourne - Traded Pick 11 for Pittard and Polec who were both horrific for them in 2018

Hawthorn - 2018 traded for Wingard for Burton + 15 + 35 + 2019 4th and they haven't made finals since

9 examples in the space of what 6 years and there are countless others and with my research i found maybe 2-3 that worked that involved picks inside the top 30.
Buddy wasn't a trade to start with..

Buddy was a free agency move…..

Interestingly you missed all the successful trades that took the Hawks, Tigers, Cats, Pies and Demons to premiership success.

Buddy was a free agency move…..

Interestingly you missed all the successful trades that took the Hawks, Tigers, Cats, Pies and Demons to premiership success.
Bobby Hill was a decent trade for Collingwood. 🤔

Yes i added Buddy in there even though it wasn't a trade because it was a big move that had many many casualties that had to leave because of cap struggles. But alot of you didn't both to read the bold point above. BIG TRADES

Yes i added Buddy in there even though it wasn't a trade because it was a big move that had many many casualties that had to leave because of cap struggles. But alot of you didn't both to read the bold point above. BIG TRADES
How can a free agent move be a big trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back