2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a third tall mate, direct Josh Battle replacement. More defensive than Wood

He’s not really a guy who plays tall though. He’s much less Battle and more Wood. He’s the last player we need.

Arie to get the gig in the 22 in the next year. Rather him there than Tomlinson.

Arie Howard Webster
Nas Wilkie Sincs
Everyone wants that, but what if Arie isn’t ready to play more defensive? Then we have zero cover. You can’t expect a 20 yo to cover that sort of role for a full season, let alone be solely relied upon with no backup. We’ll have no depth if Battle leaves and the youngsters stall in development, like how Owens Pou have this year when we expected them to take their games to the next level

Everyone wants that, but what if Arie isn’t ready to play more defensive? Then we have zero cover. You can’t expect a 20 yo to cover that sort of role for a full season, let alone be solely relied upon with no backup. We’ll have no depth if Battle leaves and the youngsters stall in development, like how Owens Pou have this year when we expected them to take their games to the next level

If we are losing Battle we are going backwards anyway. Might as well get a benefit from it.

If we are losing Battle we are going backwards anyway. Might as well get a benefit from it.
there’s no benefit from playing a youngster if they aren’t ready. It doesn’t help with development, it just destroys their confidence - like what happened with Pou

He's a third tall mate, direct Josh Battle replacement. More defensive than Wood
Getting Tomlinson would be ideal short term move if Battles moves on. The main issue would be dilution of UFA compo.

Getting him really cheap on a 2 year contract that has no impact on Battle compo would be a smart move.

Cordys contract runs out next year - by then you'll know for sure how the youngsters are tracking.

James Borlase.

About to turn 22
192cm
101kg

Only a small handful of games but has looked ok at both ends of the ground.

He's a delisted free agent meaning he is unrestricted.
Could be tempted with some cash and promise of certainy in his role/game time?

Crows have Walker, Thilthorpe, Worrell and Himmelberg to come back from injury. They also have top 10 pick in Dan Curtain looking for games so competition is gonna be hot!

Getting Tomlinson would be ideal short term move if Battles moves on. The main issue would be dilution of UFA compo.

Getting him really cheap on a 2 year contract that has no impact on Battle compo would be a smart move.

Cordys contract runs out next year - by then you'll know for sure how the youngsters are tracking.
Compo is no issue. If it dilutes then we'll get it done for a future 4th or some other nothing pick. I still think Butts is the best option, but wouldn't mind Tomlinson.

The point is that we can't be relying on kids to fill the Battle void even if we're not contending, it's detrimental to development. Then there's the depth element - if Wilkie goes down then we'd be playing a backline of Dougal, Cordy, Arie/Keeler....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone wants that, but what if Arie isn’t ready to play more defensive? Then we have zero cover.
Zero? Already on the list we have Keeler, Van Ess, Sharman and Caminiti. Plus we might be stuck with Cordy ( Out of contract at the end of 2025) for next year as well unless tjey pay him out?

Plus they may add another young to medium age defender. I just do not want any more retirees joining us when we are clearly in a rebuilding phase.

Zero? Already on the list we have Keeler, Van Ess, Sharman and Caminiti. Plus we might be stuck with Cordy ( Out of contract at the end of 2025) for next year as well unless tjey pay him out?

Plus they may add another young to medium age defender. I just do not want any more retirees joining us when we are clearly in a rebuilding phase.
Cordy yes, but then you've listed 4 youngsters who are nowhere near establishing themselves as key defenders. Sharman the closest but he's clearly a permanent forward. Van Es would be lucky to get off the injury list, while Keeler is still so raw

Cordy yes, but then you've listed 4 youngsters who are nowhere near establishing themselves as key defenders.
Yes as I view us as rebuilding, and not contending.

I am not phased if we lose an extra game or two next year if we are developing a batter team. Let us rotate our younger prospects through the backline in 2025, and indeed for the remainder of 2024. I will be very disappointed if they do not give Arie a solid run of games in 2024 now.

The Suns are playing Mac Andrew 20 yrs 6 m at FB as they are trying to build a contender based mainly on younger players. He is still raw but is improving.

Plus as I said they may also add a young to medium age defender this coming draft/trade period. Someone who may or may not make it and be part of a future contending team.

Tomlinson would just be wasting a space. If we were an actual contender then I would understand the depth argument.

Yes as I view us as rebuilding, and not contending.

I am not phased if we lose an extra game or two next year if we are developing a batter team. Let us rotate our younger prospects through the backline in 2025, and indeed for the remainder of 2024. I will be very disappointed if they do not give Arie a solid run of games in 2024 now.

The Suns are playing Mac Andrew 20 yrs 6 m at FB as they are trying to build a contender based mainly on younger players. He is still raw but is improving.

Plus as I said they may also add a young to medium age defender this coming draft/trade period. Someone who may or may not make it and be part of a future contending team.

Tomlinson would just be wasting a space. If we were an actual contender then I would understand the depth argument.
That's because Andrew is genuinely ready and has had a full year of development after being a top 5 pick.

Completely different to the likes of Van Es and Keeler who were not only later picks, but have been unable to put full seasons together. Shown limited signs of development due to all the interruptions

Development is not throwing kids into the AFL when they aren't ready - we all saw what happened to Pou when we did that with him

My priority atm is Butts. Tomlinson was just a suggestion amongst others as potential recruits without much substance at all

That's because Andrew is genuinely ready and has had a full year of development after being a top 5 pick.

Completely different to the likes of Van Es and Keeler who were not only later picks, but have been unable to put full seasons together. Shown limited signs of development due to all the interruptions

Development is not throwing kids into the AFL when they aren't ready - we all saw what happened to Pou when we did that with him

The problem with Pou was not playing him in the seniors, the problem was playing him every game in his first season at the club as a bottom ager. Playing him was actually an excellent thing to do.

Caminiti is the same age as Andrew and has 28 games. I think he can play either end. Plus is a handy skill to build so that you can throw a marking forward down back when required (Like Membery used to do for us).

Keeler and Van Ess will both be 20 next season. Basically will be 2 years older than when Pou debuted. Need to test them next year to help decide whether to keep or get rid of them.

I am not talking about playing them all week in week out, but rather along with Arie rotating them through over the season. Some will play more games than others. We need to get some more senior games into this cohort.

My priority atm is Butts. Tomlinson was just a suggestion amongst others as potential recruits without much substance at all

Yes as stated I think that the Saints will look for another young to mid aged tall defender. Just not an old player like Tomlinson.

Since last season the "older" players that the Club picked up are Henry, Dow, Bonner and Hall. Their current ages are 22y 9m, 24y 8m, 27 y 3 m and 22y 2m.

There is a clear pattern there. I cannot see them switching to an bringing in an older player over 30 unless there is something exceptional/extra such as a salary dump linked to gaining a draft pick as well (ie Last year's mooted Shiel deal where we were looking to take Shiel and his contract in order to get in return Band 1 for Gresh).

That tells me that the club are looking to bring in players that can be there a while and not just a year. Though of course not all will pass the test and will be let go.

Last edited:
Haynes and Thomplinson would be a huge no. Both are going to need to be wheeled out in wheel chairs. Khamis won't leave. Just re signed last year and getting regular games. Butts is shit and Fox is as old as those first crew. Gardiner is a below average KPF.

I'd rather play Van Es to be honest. Ari can probably take Battles spot and be a longer term replacement.
So you think Battle will leave?

The problem with Pou was not playing him in the seniors, the problem was playing him every game in his first season at the club as a bottom ager. Playing him was actually an excellent thing to do.

Caminiti is the same age as Andrew and has 28 games. I think he can play either end. Plus is a handy skill to build so that you can throw a marking forward down back when required (Like Membery used to do for us).

Keeler and Van Ess will both be 20 next season. Basically will be 2 years older than when Pou debuted. Need to test them next year to help decide whether to keep or get rid of them.

I am not talking about playing them all week in week out, but rather along with Arie rotating them through over the season. Some will play more games than others. We need to get some more senior games into this cohort.

Yes as stated I think that the Saints will look for another young to mid aged tall defender. Just not an old player like Tomlinson.

Since last season the "older" players that the Club picked up are Henry, Dow, Bonner and Hall. Their current ages are 22y 9m, 24y 8m, 27 y 3 m and 22y 2m.

There is a clear pattern there. I cannot see them switching to an bringing in an older player over 30 unless there is something exceptional/extra such as a salary dump linked to gaining a draft pick as well (ie Last year's mooted Shiel deal where we were looking to take Shiel and his contract in order to get in return Band 1 for Gresh).

That tells me that the club are looking to bring in players that can be there a while and not just a year. Though of course not all will pass the test and will be let go.
I never said I wanted Tomlinson as a top priority, I suggested him purely as a means for example. I agree with you, we need to target 24-27 year olds, but there isn't that much supply so as a last resort, going after one of these old guys just as a short term fix may be necessary

Others have likened him to Dusty but for me he is more like Mark Ruccuito...

He's got bit of LDU too. Not sure he's got the X factor of Dusty. Looks like the exact type we are after though. Ideally he keeps improving just enough to not be a reach but not to jump above us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back