Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Links us to Lalor, Langford and (particularly) Smith and of course Draper
I'm really warming to Jagga Smith as my preference. As well as Draper. Feel like they have the Spark we need in our midfield mix.

I love Lalor's power. But I'm probably a touch more inclined to keep building a midfield with faster feet and line breakers run.

The combo of Rankine, Peatling, and Jagga/Draper would give us something we've lacked in our midfield since, I don't know when.

Pace!!!

1) Yes, but might not be until draft night.

2) #6. Rawlings has mentioned a few times we will only slide "3-4 spots"

3) Tauru
Given that there is a touted top 4, any chance you could see North drop to 4 with Adelaide and pick up say a F2 (we would have to generate one) if North are happy to take any of FOS, Lalor or Smith assuming the crows wanted Draper? It would be like getting a free F2 and still getting one of the 4 top players in the draft

Just a musing

I'm really warming to Jagga Smith as my preference. As well as Draper. Feel like they have the Spark we need in our midfield mix.

I love Lalor's power. But I'm probably a touch more inclined to keep building a midfield with faster feet and line breakers run.

The combo of Rankine, Peatling, and Jagga/Draper would give us something we've lacked in our midfield since, I don't know when.

Pace!!!
Even if it’s not pure straight-line pace, I just want our midfield to become more athletic. Peatling will help, but any of Lalor/FOS/Jagga/Draper is the icing on the off-season cake. All athletic in different ways

Given that there is a touted top 4, any chance you could see North drop to 4 with Adelaide and pick up say a F2 (we would have to generate one) if North are happy to take any of FOS, Lalor or Smith assuming the crows wanted Draper? It would be like getting a free F2 and still getting one of the 4 top players in the draft

Just a musing

I think given what we did in trade week, we will want picks in this draft now.

What you are suggesting is probably exactly what we are planning to do with Richmond, it just depends what that kicker pick is.

Im perfectly happy to take FOS at #2 if it comes to it, as I've said all year, he's got that outside ability, the endurance etc to play multiple roles and even on the wing. At our point of the rebuild, these types suit us much more than genuine center square mids (see Duursma and McKercher also).

I personally think if we can't get FOS or Lalor who both provide that versatility, with any trade back, it can be later to increase the value of that return pick.

Just putting it out there...Just want to see the p155ed off look on the pear supporters faces should we get Draper in the draft. It will make the selection even more satisfying if it falls that way.
i dont think they care about draper.

i reckon getting phillipou back would sting them more.

but if you want a real thrill just wait for ken to get sacked, butters to minutes later ask for a trade and then you will get a laugh for sure

I dont think you can wait til 6 for Tauru. Melb at 5 is your issue. You would need to trade back to 5.

I don't think thats a problem, Melbourne have their eyes on Langford there from what I've heard. If Jagga slipped through for some reason they would be ecstatic also.

Tauru definitely an option for them at 9 if he gets through the Saints, but that will only happen if North don't trade back, otherwise he will be picked at 6 in my opinion.

I don't think thats a problem, Melbourne have their eyes on Langford there from what I've heard. If Jagga slipped through for some reason they would be ecstatic also.

Tauru definitely an option for them at 9 if he gets through the Saints, but that will only happen if North don't trade back, otherwise he will be picked at 6 in my opinion.
Look I live in Melbourne so got fair bit of contacts too. If you dont take Tauru at 2, he's gone at 5. Nobody will pick him at 1,3,4. Trade back to 6 and I think you will miss him (if you want him which I hear you do - and bad). Melb can get a plethora of mids at 9 theres only one Tauru...

Look I live in Melbourne so got fair bit of contacts too. If you dont take Tauru at 2, he's gone at 5. Nobody will pick him at 1,3,4. Trade back to 6 and I think you will miss him (if you want him which I hear you do - and bad). Melb can get a plethora of mids at 9 theres only one Tauru...

No they can't.

It's the exact same reason why Richmond will trade for 2.

People are misclassifying this draft to a huge degree. Super Draft talk is ridiculous (not aimed at you, just talking...)

It's also nuanced in that I don't believe the top end of mids stacks up to 6 of the last 7 drafts. However, there is an abnormal amount of B+ -> KPP's, Utilities, Small Forwards, Half Backs etc.

It's not as even from start to finish like most are making out, there's levels to it.

Melbourne likely don't get any of Lalor, FOS, Smith, Draper, Langford or Smillie if they don't pick one of them at 5. Richmond would be ecstatic if they didn't.

What other plethora of mids are there post here? Hotton, Reid, Allan, Gross, Hynes? They aren't on the same tier as those names and clubs know it.

Why do you think Carlton traded up like they did?

Regardless, I think we'd be fine picking Armstrong at 6 if Tauru was indeed selected the pick before.

Who do you think they will go with at 3? Its obvious this was a carefully calculated decision to trade up.

Would like FOS.

I think they will take whichever is there out of FOS or Jagga (On the assumption Richmond pick Lalor at #1, regardless of who owns pick 2)

I think Carlton wanted to ensure they would get 1 of those 3 and they have.

You don't do that if you don't rate those 3 significantly higher than Langford and Smillie (ill disregard Draper, as there's location considerations vs those 5)

No they can't.

It's the exact same reason why Richmond will trade for 2.

People are misclassifying this draft to a huge degree. Super Draft talk is ridiculous (not aimed at you, just talking...)

It's also nuanced in that I don't believe the top end of mids stacks up to 6 of the last 7 drafts. However, there is an abnormal amount of B+ -> KPP's, Utilities, Small Forwards, Half Backs etc.

It's not as even from start to finish like most are making out, there's levels to it.

Melbourne likely don't get any of Lalor, FOS, Smith, Draper, Langford or Smillie if they don't pick one of them at 5. Richmond would be ecstatic if they didn't.

What other plethora of mids are there post here? Hotton, Reid, Allan, Gross, Hynes? They aren't on the same tier as those names and clubs know it.

Why do you think Carlton traded up like they did?

Regardless, I think we'd be fine picking Armstrong at 6 if Tauru was indeed selected the pick before.
Like you want Tauru, Carlton want FOS who is definitely top 4. That was their trade. You thinking Tauru will be there at 9 is absolutely laughable and nothing but wishful thinking. I don't think you will be happy picking armstrong at all. It wouldn't suprise me if any of these happen:

North picks Tauru at 2
Melb picks Tauru at 5
North trades back to 4 to take Tauru getting an extra F2 from Adelaide (pointless for us but wouldn't surprise me)
North picks Lalor at 2 already knowing LDU is going

other than those scenarios I cant see what north would do.

ps its physically impossible to miss all the players you list melbourne not being able to get - there's only 4 real picks before them. anyway good luck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like you want Tauru, Carlton want FOS who is definitely top 4. That was their trade. You thinking Tauru will be there at 9 is absolutely laughable and nothing but wishful thinking. I don't think you will be happy picking armstrong at all. It wouldn't suprise me if any of these happen:

North picks Tauru at 2
Melb picks Tauru at 5
North trades back to 4 to take Tauru getting an extra F2 from Adelaide (pointless for us but wouldn't surprise me)

ps its physically impossible to miss all the players you list melbourne not being able to get - there's only 4 real picks before them. anyway good luck!

I don't understand this?

If they pick Tauru at 5 and I listed 6 players, how exactly is it impossible for them to miss one of those 7 players at pick 9?

I never said Tauru will be there at 9, in fact I said I think he gets picked at 6. I said they would like him at 9.

North picks Tauru at 2
Melb picks Tauru at 5

Trade with us 2 for 4 and we somehow engineer a f2 or maybe 2nd rounder with those f3's we have to guarantee Draper? if we are set on him. North get a free pick and still get their guy

I don't understand this?

If they pick Tauru at 5 and I listed 6 players, how exactly is it impossible for them to miss one of those 7 players at pick 9?

I never said Tauru will be there at 9, in fact I said I think he gets picked at 6. I said they would like him at 9.
Ok now I get your line but you dont seem to understand that Melbourne need tall forwards even more than you do. If Melb dont get Smillie or Langford at 9 they can take Travaglia. There are no others like Tauru they are all gangly Talls. I think he's going higher than you think but anyway.

If Draper slid to us at 4, but we knew that Melbourne wouldn't pick him at 5, would we entertain a deal with Richmond and swap pick 4 for 6 and 11 (and an agreement they won't take Draper either)? Get Draper at 6, then trade 11 out for a future 1st?
Wouldnt trade out 11 if you got it... The original swap you suggest would depend if North already picked Tauru at 2 IMO

If Draper slid to us at 4, but we knew that Melbourne wouldn't pick him at 5, would we entertain a deal with Richmond and swap pick 4 for 6 and 11 (and an agreement they won't take Draper either)? Get Draper at 6, then trade 11 out for a future 1st?
Yeah we would but why would richmond?

I don’t think we will be taking significant risks

Just take the best mid at 4 seems most logical

We aren’t good enough to get clever

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back