Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have zero idea, I just know its far too early to say 17 teams have passed on him.

Here is a draft websites thoughts on the top 40 of 2022 in early October of 2022. Max wasnt top 40. Isaac Keeler was #25 and went mid 40's. They don't know shit.

Also - Welsh's value is distorted since he is committed to Adelaide as a F/S. A team nominates him - they might not like him - they may just want us to use extra resources.

This is a kid that we and AFL teams have had their eye on for years. We should know absolutely everything about him by now. The fact he has put on a few kgs between the SANFL season finishing and the draft is of zero concern.
Zero concern is too far a stretch

Also there are many players tied to clubs through academy and father / son who have managed to be invited to national combine this year despite being club tied

Also the clubs are very smart these days , the way Welsh presented yesterday is likely the reason many didn’t nom him for national combine a couple of months ago

Friends have been asking me how is Welsh not rated top 30 on this draft after kicking 5 blah blah , also ‘why isn’t he national combine’ when that list came out

I’ve been saying it beats me but now I think I know a bit more why

You'd hope so, otherwise he's 2 years away (at least) from even being considered for AFL level.
Yep exactly

Also the thing you’ve got to remember is that clubs don’t promise spots during the year , there is not a 100% guarantee he gets drafted or rookie listed at all by any club including us

Which makes me further perplexed he wouldn’t just finish off the year a bit better than he has

Looks like a 5-10kg blowout

Extraordinary really
Kids like him can put on 5 to 10 kegs really quickly, they can lose it quickly too.

I'm not as concerned, but seeing him turn up in that condition isn't great. I'm stoked he left his Winny Blues in the car though :). This may be the kick in his arse he needs though as he will probably fall to us in the rookie draft on that data, he has probably been told for the last few years how he would have an AFL career but being overlooked by everyone else may hurt his pride.

Zero concern is too far a stretch

Also there are many players tied to clubs through academy and father / son who have managed to be invited to national combine this year despite being club tied

Also the clubs are very smart these days , the way Welsh presented yesterday is likely the reason many didn’t nom him for national combine a couple of months ago

Friends have been asking me how is Welsh not rated top 30 on this draft after kicking 5 blah blah , also ‘why isn’t he national combine’ when that list came out

I’ve been saying it beats me but now I think I know a bit more why
Suns Acedemy's Leo Lombard didn't tank that's for sure.

Even Tyler's 20m time has blown out from 2.92 in Feb 23 to 3.06 yesterday.

Quoting SANFL Physical Performance Manager Tom Debenedictis back in 2023 it looks like he's slipped all round?

2024 AFL Draft prospects Tyler Welsh and Sid Draper have turned heads at the SANFL's U18 pre-season training testing, while highly-rated 2023 talent Ashton Moir has further strengthened his standing as a potential top 10 draft pick.

Welsh, who is eligible as a father-son selection for Adelaide, is seen as one of the leading names for next year's National Draft after an impressive U16s season with the Woodville-West Torrens.

The son of former Crows forward Scott, Welsh is a key-forward prospect that is sure to excite Adelaide fans in the years to come.

The teenager was among the standouts from the SANFL's recent testing, where over 370 players underwent an array of agility, speed and vertical tests.

South Adelaide midfielder Sid Draper, the younger brother of Collingwood sophomore Arlo, was one of the best testers on the day, taking out the agility test with a 7.80 second time, while also featuring among the leading names for the 20m sprint and yo-yo test.

The silky onballer is tipped to join Welsh in being among South Australia's leading prospects for next year's class of talent.

"For a bottom-age kid to finish top 10 in three different tests is pretty impressive," SANFL physical performance manager Tom Debenidictis told SANFL.com.au of Draper.

"He's a very well-rounded athlete and you can sort of tell that by the way he plays. He's very quick and powerful.

"Definitely an exciting one to watch."

Debenidictis held equal praise for Welsh, whose explosiveness and scores across the board had him rank elite for the day.

Screen-Shot-2023-02-10-at-2.13.11-pm.png.webp
South Australian U16 talent Tyler Welsh (Image via SANFL.com.au)
"(Welsh) really impressive," Debenidictis added.

"Running sub-three-second 20-metre sprints is very impressive. Both his agility and running jumps also rank him up there for the top 20% as well. We classify that up towards elite.

"He's another one, sort of similar to Sid, of those bottom-agers that will be exciting to watch."

Quoting SANFL Physical Performance Manager Tom Debenedictis back in 2023 it looks like he's slipped all round?

2024 AFL Draft prospects Tyler Welsh and Sid Draper have turned heads at the SANFL's U18 pre-season training testing, while highly-rated 2023 talent Ashton Moir has further strengthened his standing as a potential top 10 draft pick.

Welsh, who is eligible as a father-son selection for Adelaide, is seen as one of the leading names for next year's National Draft after an impressive U16s season with the Woodville-West Torrens.

The son of former Crows forward Scott, Welsh is a key-forward prospect that is sure to excite Adelaide fans in the years to come.

The teenager was among the standouts from the SANFL's recent testing, where over 370 players underwent an array of agility, speed and vertical tests.

South Adelaide midfielder Sid Draper, the younger brother of Collingwood sophomore Arlo, was one of the best testers on the day, taking out the agility test with a 7.80 second time, while also featuring among the leading names for the 20m sprint and yo-yo test.

The silky onballer is tipped to join Welsh in being among South Australia's leading prospects for next year's class of talent.

"For a bottom-age kid to finish top 10 in three different tests is pretty impressive," SANFL physical performance manager Tom Debenidictis told SANFL.com.au of Draper.

"He's a very well-rounded athlete and you can sort of tell that by the way he plays. He's very quick and powerful.

Debenidictis held equal praise for Welsh, whose explosiveness and scores across the board had him rank elite for the day.

"Running sub-three-second 20-metre sprints is very impressive. Both his agility and running jumps also rank him up there for the top 20% as well. We classify that up towards elite.

"He's another one, sort of similar to Sid, of those bottom-agers that will be exciting to watch."
No paunch in that shot. What happened?

Kids like him can put on 5 to 10 kegs really quickly, they can lose it quickly too.

I'm not as concerned, but seeing him turn up in that condition isn't great. I'm stoked he left his Winny Blues in the car though :). This may be the kick in his arse he needs though as he will probably fall to us in the rookie draft on that data, he has probably been told for the last few years how he would have an AFL career but being overlooked by everyone else may hurt his pride.
Yep agree

I’m still taking him , but hopefully he’s smart enough to realise to take nothing for granted

Yep agree

I’m still taking him , but hopefully he’s smart enough to realise to take nothing for granted
I really hope that the club or Scott reaches out to Bunji and gets him to tell him what he had to do to succeed as they were both in a similar position at the same age (prodigious talents, tubby, maybe poor work ethic). Getting it from a champ and someone he must idolise (I mean we all still do) may be what he needs.

I really hope that the club or Scott reaches out to Bunji and gets him to tell him what he had to do to succeed as they were both in a similar position at the same age (prodigious talents, tubby, maybe poor work ethic). Getting it from a champ and someone he must idolise (I mean we all still do) may be what he needs.

Looks like being at our club and being around our leaders and champs like Sloane and Tex for the extra year has really paid off so far. Kid's absolutely killing it.

Looks like being at our club and being around our leaders and champs like Sloane and Tex for the extra year has really paid off so far. Kid's absolutely killing it.

More quality from you Fox News.

Only you could find a way to blame an 18 year olds fitness on Sloane and Walker.

Never change old man, never change.

No irony? The same article which illustrates how important testing for Welsh was in 2023 also shows how important testing was for "TOP 10 PICK ASHTON MOIR".

Why even play football as kids? Clubs should just draft the best track and field athletes. Maybe Usain Bolt could come to us as a Cat B rookie

Because when we drafted him I looked into him more and the talk was we had drafted ourselves a tall mid, that’s what everyone was excited about, not a bloody another key defender with a high pick.

So tell me BACCS, which position did he struggle in the SANFL and where did he excel? Guess what, it wasn’t standing bloody Liam McBean. Where did the club slowly realise he should be playing? You know that’s the thing with blindly backing in all club decisions, it doesn’t allow you to think for yourself. If some Big Footy posters can work out stuff before the coaches, why do you back them in so much?
I'm not blindly defending the decision, just trying to provide some balance to the discussion. Curtin said himself on draft night he saw himself more as a KPD. There is no way of knowing whether he would succeed or fail in that position at AFL level unless you try it out and then once it was clear he was struggling, the move was made.

He is a very unique player given his height and ability to play across any position on the ground, it makes sense to at least try him across a few positions in his first season before settling him down into one longer term. He looks a mile off it as a midfielder at AFL level so far, but seemed a lot more comfortable as that 3rd tall KPF (exactly why I wasn't fussed on getting Luko), so hopefully we see him in that position in 2025 as he continues to develop his midfield craft too.

A lot of comments about Welsh being 'unfit' given his 2km time, but the time he posted is still extremely good. I'm a decent long distance runner and would struggle to go sub 8 minutes over 2km, but can post 40-45 minutes over a 10km. Welsh's time doesn't mean he's unfit, it just means he isn't an elite 2km runner and might be better with his endurance over longer distances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of comments about Welsh being 'unfit' given his 2km time, but the time he posted is still extremely good. I'm a decent long distance runner and would struggle to go sub 8 minutes over 2km, but can post 40-45 minutes over a 10km. Welsh's time doesn't mean he's unfit, it just means he isn't an elite 2km runner and might be better with his endurance over longer distances.
It’s good for an old amateur runner 😆

Not a pro athlete

It’s not the end of the world but I think it shows something deeper and also the reason why he was only a state combine invite

Settle down, did you watch the actual footage of him running the final 50m with the other 14 of the 15 tested that had already completed their run cheering him on to finish? He was absolutely gassed. It was a poor performance on his part which the lad openly admitted to in the channel 7 and channel 9 footage.

Settle down, did you watch the actual footage of him running the final 50m with the other 14 of the 15 tested that had already completed their run cheering him on to finish? He was absolutely gassed. It was a poor performance on his part which the lad openly admitted to in the channel 7 and channel 9 footage.
It doesn't mean he's unfit. Someone that is actually unfit would have struggled to finish the first 1km, let alone run at a 15kph pace for 2km.

It’s good for an old amateur runner 😆

Not a pro athlete

It’s not the end of the world but I think it shows something deeper and also the reason why he was only a state combine invite
He's not training to be a pro runner though, he's training to be a pro AFL player. The time he posted doesn't make him unfit and it certainly doesn't make a difference to whether he makes it at AFL level or not.

It doesn't mean he's unfit. Someone that is actually unfit would have struggled to finish the first 1km, let alone run at a 15kph pace for 2km.
It certainly suggests he'd struggle with repeat efforts that will be required at AFL level if he doesn't improve his tank.

He's not training to be a pro runner though, he's training to be a pro AFL player. The time he posted doesn't make him unfit and it certainly doesn't make a difference to whether he makes it at AFL level or not.
All year we’ve had people asking why he’s not rated higher and why he isn’t national combine

I’m pretty sure it’s got something to do with it , not the time itself but how he ended up running that time

You can bury head in sand as much as you like but recruiters would see it as a red flag

In this case it actually works out quite well for us IF he is able to change his habits , no guarantee

Strange you haven't run his 2km run by your supposed SA based AFL recruiter mate because sure as hell he wouldn't be putting your spin on it.

Strange you haven't run his 2km run by your supposed SA based AFL recruiter mate because sure as hell he wouldn't be putting your spin on it.
He messaged me about his 2km time trial as soon as they were finished and mentioned he was 300-400m behind the next finisher, just didn't bother posting on here as by the time I got to this thread it had already been posted. I understand he will be a late pick now, I'm just saying an 8 minute 2km run does not make you unfit or unprofessional or make any difference as to whether you will be a good footballer.

For reference, I decided to test myself out this morning and go full sprint for 2km. I am at a good cardio fitness level and clock 50-60km per week of running at roughly 4:30-5:30/km pace.

I posted 8:28 for 2km and was completely gassed.
Dude you’re not AFL fit and that’s the point of his time in comparison to his peers was way below standard.

He messaged me about his 2km time trial as soon as they were finished and mentioned he was 300-400m behind the next finisher, just didn't bother posting on here as by the time I got to this thread it had already been posted. I understand he will be a late pick now, I'm just saying an 8 minute 2km run does not make you unfit or unprofessional or make any difference as to whether you will be a good footballer.
Its not just the time worrying us. Its the weight gain when he should have been in a professional eating programme under burgo as part of the sanfl team... hopefully he sorts himself out and fast

For reference, I decided to test myself out this morning and go full sprint for 2km. I am at a good cardio fitness level and clock 50-60km per week of running at roughly 4:30-5:30/km pace.

I posted 8:28 for 2km and was completely gassed.
This literally has no relevance whatsoever 😂

It certainly suggests he'd struggle with repeat efforts that will be required at AFL level if he doesn't improve his tank.
Since when would a key forward be required to run at 15kph+ over lots of kilometres in a game? At most it might be a 50-100 metre lead and then he could take a breather depending on the play, or at the very least run at a more moderate pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back