Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Curtin looks thrilled to be going to Adelaide. Will be back in Perth in 3 years. I am in no way a avid draft watcher so who do we take with pick 47? Small foward/key forward?

Those two positions are my preference for the last couple of spots on the list.

We lost Turner, Mahony and Spicer this season and haven't picked up any replacement.

Outside of Larkey, Comben and potentially CCJ / Nyuon / Dawson we are pretty thin in the tall forward department.

Curtin looks thrilled to be going to Adelaide. Will be back in Perth in 3 years. I am in no way a avid draft watcher so who do we take with pick 47? Small foward/key forward?

Curtin has a resting bitch face. It was a bit different to the Collard gloom.

If Curtin does go back in three years, it will be to Freo.

Yeh but I’ll always back who has produced more now over projecting project types with earlier picks

Later picks I’d take the latter view

We don’t go well reaching for players (see Neilson, Will walker etc) take the proven talent early

Let’s hope wil Dawson bucks the trend
I see your Neilson and Walker and raise you with Garner, McKenzie and Harper.

Those two positions are my preference for the last couple of spots on the list.

We lost Turner, Mahony and Spicer this season and haven't picked up any replacement.

Outside of Larkey, Comben and potentially CCJ / Nyuon / Dawson we are pretty thin in the tall forward department.

Thinking we aren't all that concerned with tall forwards. Comben and CCJ will be the main forwards (don't think that he is a lock for defence) pushed to partner Larkey but we have invested a lot on medium sized marking forwards similar to the Pies so I think we might be going down the mobile forward path.

What does interviewed poorly actually mean? Arrogant? Uninterested? Poor game knowledge? Revealed a lack of professionalism in preparation? All of the above?

I'm not 100% sure in this instance. Just been told that he interviewed poorly. That has been the word from a number of clubs too (I'm not even sure if we spent much time on him)

I know one example in the past where a player had a few off field issues, and in the club meetings he was grilled about these issues. The player refused to take responsibility for them and blamed everything from his friends, to his family, to his ex girlfriend.

He was rated inside the top 30 on footballing talent but didn't get drafted because he was seen to have poor character, too big of an ego and couldn't take responsibility for his actions.

Not against putting our future second on the table for one of the first few picks tonight

Not sure where or if we rate them but Archer Reid or Logan Morris as a developing key forward would be a solid closer for this draft haul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked with all our picks. Confused as to why we took Goad with pick 20. Other than that. Good job Kangas. Goad and Dawson will probably play late 2025/26 seasons

Goad was going to be taken by Adelaide with the next pick.

I assume you know that having Xerri as your number 1 ruckman isn’t conducive to finals footy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus, he didn't look too happy on the night either when they picked him. Already pretty glad that we passed, although maybe that's unfair.
I think you're being unfair to Daniel Curtin. I've watched a few interviews with him seems like a very level headed kid, doesn't really show too much emotion when talking. Just because he's not jumping around doesn't mean he's not happy.

Also need to give any kid who's been drafted by an interstate club some leniency there's a lot going on they've just realised their dream to play AFL but have to move away from their family and friends in 3 days, it's a lot to process with a camera in your face and Ben Dixon asking you stupid questions.

A for mine.

With our early picks I really think we couldn’t have done any wrong with any combination of McKercher, Duursma, Watson, Curtin or Sanders.

Goad probably went a little higher than I expected, but we jumped the queue to get ahead of Adelaide which was smart. I rated Edwards higher than him, but there are some big question marks on his character and he’ll end up going later on in the draft. With Goad’s athleticism and frame (he’ll be 105kg once he fills out) he legit has the potential to be the best ruck in the comp.

Dawson is one of the latest born draftees in this draft crop, I had him rated a bit lower but based on his output this year and our need for KP’s I can see why we pulled the trigger here. I really like his physicality, he plays with a real intensity that can’t be taught. Like Goad, there is a tonne of upside there.

I’ve always been a fan of Hardeman, early days I thought he’d be pushing the top 10. So I was thrilled to get him. Good character, leadership capabilities and has natural footy IQ. Gave us some genuine intercepting depth across half back too. With a bit of time and physical development, I would see him being a Jordan Ridley type across half back.
Have a look at the vision of what Goad does off the ball vs. Edwards. His ruck craft will only improve as will his skills, it’s his running capacity to cover the ground quickly that sets him apart. His not a plotter. He will take a bit of time, but his upside if we’re patient is very exciting.

Potentially.. but you'd like clarko wanted Curtin after those long conversations

Like I said, if Giants accepted the Crows trade of 11 and 15 plus F2 for 8 and 17, logic says they’d probably accept our pick 16 (now 20) plus our F2 given that our F2 is likely a much better pick

Maybe Clarko was overruled

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thinking we aren't all that concerned with tall forwards. Comben and CCJ will be the main forwards (don't think that he is a lock for defence) pushed to partner Larkey but we have invested a lot on medium sized marking forwards similar to the Pies so I think we might be going down the mobile forward path.

Tend to agree with you. I am comfortable with the mobile forward approach, particularly given our glut of good medium-ish hybrid forwards.

However, I still don't think we have sufficient depth in the talls department. If Larkey goes down, we're relying on unproven players. Think we need someone developing.

I'm loving the melts on West Coke board.

They have just realised they only had one pick in the top 29 and it's gonna be a long long rebuild.

They are cursing that teams that finished above them have had multiple picks.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
There's an old saying in my profession....."The Greedy become the Needy".........had their opportunities to trade for more picks.

For the draft watchers:

Hardeman vs De Martha- looked very similar based on my 30 second predraft watch. Was there any argument to take the local boy instead?

Goad vs Edwards- to my eyes Goad is much more mobile, Luke Jackson was a comparison someone made. Is this true over a much bigger sampling?

Fwiw I was never enamored with Leake so missing out was A-ok for mine.

Looks like we did make a play for Curtin with two of our teen picks. No one was going to beat Crows offer.
The crows offer wasnt that good

They got 2 picks in return (10 and 14 and future second for 8 and 16)

2 teens picks (15 and 17) for their pick seems a better offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back