#16 Pick - Ben Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know that 30-40% of draftees simply do not make yet at this time of year, every club is talking up their picks hoping to foster hope and sell memberships.

No one really knows until they play for a year or two.

Please tell me this is a joke.

I think I did read this somewhere with some explanatory rationale.

For instance, the top 3 draftees would have been excluded from his list, and he then opted to put Polec and Smith ahead of the likes of Heppel and Atley, based on them being Adelaide boys - such that where he judged players virtually equivalent he gave the benefit to the home product.

Still, so typical of Rendell.

I rated Jacobs higher than Smith which is why I thought the Cows were going to go for him. The way this kid commands the ball is a feature of his play. A general in the mid-field. He also sets high standards for himself. I like the blend that we took.

They have a lot of confidence. Hamish Hartlett, Boak, Banner, Trengove, P Stewart, Salter, and JP are all younger players who either have confidence, a touch of arrogance or dedication needed for our team to become a force again. Character has a lot to do with it. Ebert, Pettigrew, and to some extent Pearce are too nice or not mongrel enough mentally to be leaders on the field. Ben Jacobs looks like he could give a lot of service to the likes of Boak and Gray in the middle and be a good linchpin in defence. It sounds like he is the one you want to have the ball in his hands because he is more determined than Nash or Lonie.

He will be a favourite so watch how you talk about him now.

He looks a player to me. To be honest I'm much more worried about our second round picks as Mitch Hallahan and Luke Parker were both avalible at our picks.

I'm really happy about the pick up. Supposedly his kicking is his asset but after watching his efforts in the 2009 tac cup I would say just his determination and the speed in which he attacks the ball is what will make him into a gun midfielder

He looks a player to me. To be honest I'm much more worried about our second round picks as Mitch Hallahan and Luke Parker were both avalible at our picks.

I know where you're coming from and at the time, these were my first thoughts also - didn't help that Sydney picked up Parker, as I really rate their eye for midfield talent just about as much as any team's. However, it sounds like we did serious research into Newton and he was largely under-ranked going into the draft due to a "lack of exposure at the championships". Young also looks like a player who should complement the top two selections we had.

Overall, going by the descriptions we now have of the four players, it looks like we got a good balance of midfield/running types, with inside and outside qualities.

It'd be awesome if Jacobs could become the long goal kicking midfielder we've missed for a while. I was watching the 2001 Ansett Cup highlights where Dew and Francis went ballistic and combined for about six goals from outside 50.

Jacobs, Pearce and Salopek could be a dangerous mix.

Looking at the photo (and taking into account he's closest to camera), I get the sense that Jacobs is a 'big' boy. As in AFL ready body.

FYI - Dustin Martin was 1cm taller and 4 kg heavier when drafted.
Hes heavier and taller than the likes of Gibbs, Boak, Selwood when drafted, so it suggests a bigger bodied onballer.

It will be interesting to see how close this is when hes seen out there training and playing. Would love to have them all out at the magpies :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the photo (and taking into account he's closest to camera), I get the sense that Jacobs is a 'big' boy. As in AFL ready body.

FYI - Dustin Martin was 1cm taller and 4 kg heavier when drafted.
Hes heavier and taller than the likes of Gibbs, Boak, Selwood when drafted, so it suggests a bigger bodied onballer.

It will be interesting to see how close this is when hes seen out there training and playing. Would love to have them all out at the magpies :)

I was lucky enough to see the three Vic recruits at the airport on the weekend. Young and O'Shea did look like skinny kids and Jacobs was clearly the most physically mature of the three. But it is still is a big ask to consider an 18yo kid to have an AFL ready body straight out of the draft.

With a few months pre-season Jacobs is probably the most likely to be getting physically prepared at least, but looking at that list of names, they were all close enough to top 5 draft picks as well (Selwood could easily have been).

I think Primus will like him, he'll be the only bloke at the club to say ummm more often than him during pressers!

But seriously, he seems a confident young lad who's keen to play footy.

It's funny, the one consistent positive commented on about Jacobs by the draft watchers - especially Port's recruiting manager - is his kicking. And yet based on a few minutes of youtube from 18 months ago, that feature is being questioned here.

Meanwhile, the tiser is already having to produce articles on the crows' 'next 200 game player' Brodie Smith, defending his disposal. His Eagles coach managed to come up with his disposal being 'more than serviceable' ... I wonder if we had drafted Smith, whether he would have been as critically analysed as Jacobs already is?

C'mom Ford - you are smarter than that - of course he would be criticised - that's what the PAFC BF board is for:eek:

What I would really like to know, for interest sake, is whether we would have taken Smith over Jacobs.

Oh, absolutely! I heard that Smith was the second best player in the draft behind Polec!!;)

Personally, I'm a big fan of Smith, but in saying that I reckon Jacobs is a gem who will make a more immediate transition into AFL.

I hope so. I can't wait to read Capel write Smith, controversially selected before Jacobs.

Oh wait no he won't. :)

Ahh, the ol' Smith was controversially selected before Jacobs chestnut!:)

All

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105497/default.aspx

suggest you read this article on the afl site which rates our Ben as #5 in the top 10 at the draft camp. Based on this alone, we have a steal!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105497/default.aspx

"Under the new system, the total of 120 points is divided so that 60 are allocated to skills, 40 are allocated to a player's athleticism and 20 are allocated to mental skills."

So the old idiom that footy is played "80% above the shoulders" has been revised to 16.67%.;)

I was lucky enough to see the three Vic recruits at the airport on the weekend. Young and O'Shea did look like skinny kids and Jacobs was clearly the most physically mature of the three. But it is still is a big ask to consider an 18yo kid to have an AFL ready body straight out of the draft.

Stalking already FF?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back