#16 Pick - Ben Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow some people really need to get a grip. We're not going to find out where these players will play and how good they are for at least a year! It seems like it's the same people that over react year after year.

Remember the Boak over Sellar consternation? Lulz

Ben JACOBS – VIC – 186/82 – 9 January 1992 - Sandringham – 2.96 for 20m, 1.94 for the back 15m, 8.29 agility, 14.4 beep test, 10.56 3km, 25.70 repeat sprint. Nice footballer, nice skills, nice kick, nice movement but really lacks some intensity in the defensive side and contested side of his game. He will rack it up at AFL level because he works hard and knows where to go to get the ball. However when the game is hot he wont be the one who get the hard contested ball. Add this to his game he is a star otherwise you just have to be careful you don’t have to many of this type on the ground at one time. He could lift his hurt factor with his disposals but he is not one of the outside players guilty of going sideways all the time but needs to work long and hard a bit more. Kicking lacks a little bit of penetration. Leg speed is ok but that is all but gets away with it by having a good sideways movement. A good fit for Port Adelaide.

Sounds like Peter Burgoyne at the end of his career. I would suggest Chad Cornes be his mentor and get him doing choco's Chad test perhaps!

Have had a bit more of a look into him,

Reminds me of a Kane Cornes with a better kick. Looks to have some terrific decision making but can lack that in times of intense pressure.

Not sure about a First Round Pick, but definitely like the look of him. Looks ready to play from Round 1 aswell.

Welcome to Port Adelaide Ben!

I like the pick. I had him going to the Cows because I said earlier that he was a good replacement for Simon Goodwin. We got what we needed. A mid who will mix it with the best eventually. A ball winner, bigger body, good skills. TBH we faired better than I expected with our first pick.

I can't get any video footage of these guys from over here (US).......but the two or three references to his lack of defensive instinct and unreliable but nice-looking kicking (possibly lacking penetration as per MP above :() aren't super endorsements. Also, not so good to hear he goes missing when the heat is on in the kitchen, as we've had our fair share of these players post 2004.

Seems like some bloody good coaching and intense discipline will be required to see him fulfil his potential.

Made me go look for this footage PJ. From 2009, so Jacobs was only 17 - looks really hard-working through the midfield, and fearless - few times he puts his head over the ball / body on the line and takes the hit to get it out.

[YOUTUBE]v_CG9KujaGY[/YOUTUBE]

Actually Ford I had also found the same youtube package of him from 2009 and I agree that his inside game looks quite strong. Good extricator of the quick, accurate handpass when being tackled and nice sidesteps to clear a path. Kicking looks neat but not powerful in that package. Seems to be a hard runner who links up in motion, which we need in our midfielders.

oh and why the **** didnt we go for Atley? Emma Qualye (spelling) ranked him top 10 and Jacobs in the 20's (and all the other so called experts)

I'll be comparing him to Atley, they better not have ****ed this up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at Jacobs video he looks impressive, good to see his head over the ball on a number of occassions. Is it just me or does he have a funny looking kicking style? i mean its effective but weird looking?

But yer as above mentioned big call him over Atley.. time will tell

oh and why the **** didnt we go for Atley? Emma Qualye (spelling) ranked him top 10 and Jacobs in the 20's (and all the other so called experts)

I'll be comparing him to Atley, they better not have ****ed this up

Atleys U18 Carnival:
5 Games, 38K, 55H, 93D, 18.6 per game, 40% kick ratio
Kevin Sheehan says: Exceptionally agile player with great speed and endurance and twice runner-up in state hurdles, which highlights his athletic ability. All-Australian team member in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 19 disposals and six tackles.

Jacobs U18 Carnival:
5 Games, 87K, 57H, 144D, 28.8 per game, 60% kick ratio, 69% efficiency.
Kevin Sheehan says: Left-footed medium defender who can play midfield or forward. Powerful type who kicks long and takes an excellent overhead mark. Can really find the ball and was outstanding at the under- 18 championships, winning All-Australian honours and averaging 29 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

I'm not sure about either player, but draft hype aside, he seems a better fit for us. ... and I just dont see the point jumping on a web forum and getting in a huff about our selections, when 95% of us would have seen nothing of the players we picked (and overlooked) barring a couple youtube highlights.

I remember the last time I felt shit after a draft, was the 2006 draft, when I sat on the web and watched our picks filter through spewing. (Boak, Gray, Stewart, rodan, Westhoff) ...

Well PB, he isn't Lycett.

Judging from his highlights video (not always a good indicator of course :p). Seems to have fantastic awareness, and a massive left foot kick. Some of Those passes were insanely good IMO!

Welcome to Port Adelaide Ben!

Maybe we should get a female journalist as our chief recruiter then?:rolleyes:

Mate, if you've ever read any of her articles on the draft, you'd realise that she would be one of the most knowledgeable people on the draft.

1 bad draft can set you back years, I just hope they picked the right kids, because atm we can't afford any bad drafts. I don't care about not taking Lycett because IMO he's overrated (unless we could of picked him up with our 2nd round) Atley is the one we should of got, but hey I'm not the recruiting manager

i mean its effective but weird looking?

I agree that his ball-drop looks a little awkward - that scrubber kick in the forward line in the youtube footage above, is an example of him looking slow to get the footy to his boot.

Still, I was pleasantly surprised from that footage by his workrate, evasiveness, strength in tackles, handball accuracy (good length clearing handballs) and work in congestion. Seemed to be playing a true midfield role in those highlights and certainly wasn't marking uncontested footy in the back pocket from kick-ins. I'm keen to get access to the other highlights that are floating around of him. Bloody Bigpond :mad:

Mate, if you've ever read any of her articles on the draft, you'd realise that she would be one of the most knowledgeable people on the draft.

1 bad draft can set you back years, I just hope they picked the right kids, because atm we can't afford any bad drafts. I don't care about not taking Lycett because IMO he's overrated (unless we could of picked him up with our 2nd round) Atley is the one we should of got, but hey I'm not the recruiting manager

I have just read her analysis of him, rahter than her prediction:

THE LOWDOWN
Jacobs has looked good in the midfield and also off half-back, with a long, damaging kick and a knack of getting where the ball is and racking up huge possession counts. He had 47 touches against South Australia in an under-18 championships game. The knock has been on his speed, but he has taken it upon himself to organise sprint training with former Essendon conditioning coach John Quinn, has worked hard and has improved. A very determined, focused kid who was almost snaffled by the Gold Coast as a 17-year-old last year and should be snapped up in the teens this year.

She thinks he goes OK.

Every single player in the draft has some sort of quality. I'm sure the #74 pick in this years draft has something "nice" said about him, doesnt mean too much tbh.

But believe me, I'm happy to be proven wrong next year. Hope like **** that I am wrong

Every single player in the draft has some sort of quality. I'm sure the #74 pick in this years draft has something "nice" said about him, doesnt mean too much tbh.

But believe me, I'm happy to be proven wrong next year. Hope like **** that I am wrong

To be proven wrong you need to have some strongly formed opinions.

how much of the player(s) in question have you seen ? (I dont know your background, or how much you would have seen)

Ah stuff it, I'm just going to say it ... watching Jacobs in that clip reminds me of Robert Harvey. The number 35, the hair, the build, the courage, his ability to find the ball, the way he moves ... except he can kick a mile!

Parker loves the kid and genuinely thought he would go before our pick. There has to be some quality there.

Optimism is a wonderful thing ... :)

Is it just me or does he have a funny looking kicking style? i mean its effective but weird looking?

Yeah totally agree looks as though he has a really poor kicking style. Probably why Quayle thinks he struggles for efficiency under pressure. Hopefully we can tidy that up over the course of a couple pre-seasons but other than that I like this selection. The type of player he is makes him very appealling to me! He definitely made the right decisions with those kicks which is one positive they just came off the boat badly 90% of the time, but then again so did Chads for years when he was at the top of his game but good decision making meant he still found players in space even if it was with a checkside on the run to someone 50m directly right of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back