Senior Zac Bailey (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's going to be a very important part of our midfield in a few years with his speed and pressure. His kicking which was the worry pre-draft has looked really good. Just needs to work on his handballing out of congestion instead of trying to take on 6 opponents.

Was starting to worry a little

It's weird but in the last couple of years I've actually stopped stressing about re-signings. We seem to have a great collection of kids coming through and I don't get the impression from many of them that they're out looking for better options.

It's weird but in the last couple of years I've actually stopped stressing about re-signings. We seem to have a great collection of kids coming through and I don't get the impression from many of them that they're out looking for better options.

Signing Clug and Rayner was huge after the Schache debacle but still not overly confident.

I think he will be a bit more of a slow burn than some of our other young players like Berry and Clug but he will be a very good asset. A lot still to learn and adapt to but a really capable player once he gets some more experience.

Lions lock in exciting youngster for two more
LIGHTNING quick small forward Zac Bailey is staying with Brisbane until at least the end of 2021 after signing a two-year contract extension. The 18-year-old has made a big impression in his first season, playing 10 games after being taken with the 15th pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft.

Bailey told AFL.com.au it was an easy decision to extend his stay, despite having more than 12 months remaining on his initial deal. "I've enjoyed my time at the club so far and with all the other boys re-signing it was an easy decision to be honest," Bailey said. "The whole club has been really good over the first seven or eight months and I want to stay with them for the next couple of years."

Bailey joins No.1 draft pick Cam Rayner (2021) and second-year stars Hugh McCluggage (2021) and Alex Witherden (2020) as young Lions to recommit to the club this year. The Northern Territory product moved to Adelaide to attend boarding school and said the transition to professional life in Brisbane had gone well.

He is living with teammates Tom Cutler and Dan McStay, and credits them with making him feel comfortable in his new environment. Bailey made his debut against premier Richmond at the MCG in round four – a game the Lions were hammered by 93 points in – and played the next 10 games before being left out last week.
594420-tlslargeportrait.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is Zac Bailey at? Any chance if a senior call up this year?

Will he best 22 next year?

Dropped because he was tired. Hasn’t been knocking the door down.

There’s a chance

I think the club possibly did the incorrect thing with Zac Bailey with playing him so early. He definitely was burnt out from it you might say and it's starting to look he is hitting his straps again. It might have been good to see him finishing off the year strongly in the firsts. Anyway, hopefully he finishes off strong and we see him continue to improve and stake a claim for best 22 next year.

I think the club possibly did the incorrect thing with Zac Bailey with playing him so early. He definitely was burnt out from it you might say and it's starting to look he is hitting his straps again. It might have been good to see him finishing off the year strongly in the firsts. Anyway, hopefully he finishes off strong and we see him continue to improve and stake a claim for best 22 next year.
On the other hand his experience in the seniors may have fast tracked his progress.

On the other hand his experience in the seniors may have fast tracked his progress.
Should be back in the ones....we are far too top heavy and the ball comes out of our forward half very easily,with the opposition delivery into their attack ,unpressuredand damaging.

Player Reviews: Lewy Taylor, Sam Mayes and Zac Bailey
#33 - Zac Bailey
Zac Bailey came to the Lions at Pick No. 15 in the 2017 AFL Draft. A speedy and skilful midfielder, Bailey grew up in the Northern Territory before plying his trade in the SANFL for Norwood.

While he was far from a finished product when he arrived at the Lions, an impressive pre-season and a couple of great NEAFL performances saw Bailey rewarded with selection in the Senior side for Round 4.

His debut wasn’t exactly what childhood footy dreams are made of, being on the receiving end of a flogging by Richmond on an awful day at the MCG. Bailey went on to play nine more Senior matches in a row and kicked his first goal against the Suns in Round 5. He split his time between the forward line and midfield and impressed the coaches with his pressure and confidence to take the game on.

A small mid-season slump saw Bailey moved back to the NEAFL after Round 14. In a great sign for a first-year player, Bailey worked on his game and returned to the Senior side for the last two matches of the season.

His best performance came in Round 23 against West Coast when he played as a running defender and finished with 20 disposals and two goals. Compared to the start of the season, his decision making and composure under pressure had improved dramatically.

The future is very bright for Bailey and with another pre-season of development and a more mature body he can be a real weapon for the Lions in the future. He extended his contract with the Lions midway through the season for a further two years, keeping him at the Club until the end of 2021.

Coaches Comment – Dale Tapping, Midfield Coach

“Developed well over the year. Had a really good game against West Coast in the last round. Has a great combination of toughness and speed with good lateral movement. Will be a great player in the future.”

Senior matches: 12, NEAFL matches: 6

The 2017 draft revisited (Michael Whiting)
Pick 15: Zac Bailey
Showed his best was very good in 12 appearances. Bailey played largely as a small forward but was thrown into defence in the final two weeks, where his blistering speed and willingness to take on the game was eye-catching. As his peripheral awareness improves, the Northern Territory product will be a huge asset and should be in line for plenty more games in 2019.

Who stood out during intra-club? (Anthony Wingard)
Among the most notable changes during Friday’s intra-club game was the deployment of Zac Bailey to a half-back where his run and carry out of defence was a noticeable addition to the defensive unit.

The second-year Lion was thrown in a multitude of positions across the field throughout his debut season. After being drafted as a midfielder, Bailey played most of his 12 games at AFL level as a medium-sized forward but has found a new home at half-back across the summer.

“We feel that with his run and his ability to break lines we’d give him the opportunity down back,” Daly said. “If we have that guy off halfback that can just run and carry, it’s important for the team. “It’s been in the back of both the boss’s minds about potentially having a look at him at halfback.”

Previously, Bailey had gotten a small taste as life in the defensive 50 in Round 22 last season where he was thrown back after Alex Witherden went down in the first term with a hamstring injury.

1550013446714.png

Coach conundrums: We solve your position puzzlers
Zac Bailey: The second-year speedster played as a small forward for many of his 12 games last year, but Brisbane wants to add some dash to its backline and Bailey fits the bill. A move there could see Daniel Rich or Alex Witherden pushed to a wing for small stints.
Verdict: Half-back with small midfield minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back