xavier vs st kevin's

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt Xavier will have any difficulty in wiping the floor with this years team. Should be full strength when they meet, and will be keen to restart the string of losses.

I doubt Xavier will have any difficulty in wiping the floor with this years team. Should be full strength when they meet, and will be keen to restart the string of losses.

Great call. Also, since when does beating Xavier ONCE in 14 years mean that you're now the superior footballing school. Longevity obviously doesn't fit into the St Kevins culture, must be why scholarships are so popular.

Great call. Also, since when does beating Xavier ONCE in 14 years mean that you're now the superior footballing school. Longevity obviously doesn't fit into the St Kevins culture, must be why scholarships are so popular.
this game does only come with the one result. I wouldnt be able to give any game plans to the St Kevins lads to get over the likes of Golds, Keith, Richards, Lachal and Rioli!!!!! St Kevins already offering very long odds for their home game. Dont write the Xavierians for the premiership also. They are a force to be reckoned with

The game is in a vm round- so no richards or prowse for you.

Skevs should look to have their full strength team for this round, still a while away though. The likes of salopek, hunter, moore, gleeson, purcell and matheson in the team, it will be an exciting game.

Definately wouldn't get so cocky this early mate.

The game is in a vm round- so no richards or prowse for you.

Skevs should look to have their full strength team for this round, still a while away though. The likes of salopek, hunter, moore, gleeson, purcell and matheson in the team, it will be an exciting game.

Definately wouldn't get so cocky this early mate.

we dont need them. wheres your golds, wheres your rioli, wheres your lachal. you guys are all flogs and stiles is your best footballer. have a good season!

okay mate.
Clearly have never seen skevs play. And for the record, skevs ruck will destroy xavs.

u cant honestly say you will beat chris prowse in the ruck, he is really tall, and if he doesnt play big Howie will probsjust do what he did to NSW onthe weekend and get BOG

okay mate.
Clearly have never seen skevs play. And for the record, skevs ruck will destroy xavs.
ohh in_the_square, i love your football knowlege. we have the no.2 vic metro ruckman in chris prowse and big lach howe who has just come off a 6 goals best of ground performance for murray in the TAC. i dont know my football that well but im pretty sure thats good. making a victoria team and kicking 6 and being best a field as a ruckman in a TAC game. i think you should think before you talk. your midfielders should come down to xavier and learn how to 'rove to our ruckmen' cos they will need to be doing that alllllll day come rnd 8 on that horrid ground you call your main oval. phhhh

read this in your spare time. prowse may be away this week for vic metro but howie is a gun and possibly the most underrated footballer in the comp.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_...915446&c=1-3020-111726-150804-14537509&pool=1

ohh in_the_square, i love your football knowlege. we have the no.2 vic metro ruckman in chris prowse and big lach howe who has just come off a 6 goals best of ground performance for murray in the TAC. i dont know my football that well but im pretty sure thats good. making a victoria team and kicking 6 and being best a field as a ruckman in a TAC game. i think you should think before you talk. your midfielders should come down to xavier and learn how to 'rove to our ruckmen' cos they will need to be doing that alllllll day come rnd 8 on that horrid ground you call your main oval. phhhh

read this in your spare time. prowse may be away this week for vic metro but howie is a gun and possibly the most underrated footballer in the comp.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_...915446&c=1-3020-111726-150804-14537509&pool=1

Oh i did know about prowse, and have heard of howe Mr. Richoman. And i made my statement on the fact that prowse isn't playing.
My opinion is that skevs ruck duo of Stiles and toohey can beat what xavs offers at the game (that is, with chris prowse playing for vm).
Toohey has a ridiculous leap, and once he hits the ground he's almost another midfielder. Stiles is taller but has a lot of aggression at the footy. But we shall see come june 18th.

Oh i did know about prowse, and have heard of howe Mr. Richoman. And i made my statement on the fact that prowse isn't playing.
My opinion is that skevs ruck duo of Stiles and toohey can beat what xavs offers at the game (that is, with chris prowse playing for vm).
Toohey has a ridiculous leap, and once he hits the ground he's almost another midfielder. Stiles is taller but has a lot of aggression at the footy. But we shall see come june 18th.

stiles is a horrible footballer... that is all. and whatever stiles' aggression offers. theres a bloke called pirrie who has more aggression and heart than most footballers in the comp.

Yeah backtrack pretty quick gimp, we will destroy you. Lach Howe, I don't even think he's human. He practically broke his face against Wesley and fought it out.

Also Stoof to debut this weekend.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

enjoying the xavas blokes frothing at the mouth all over their semen encrusted keyboards. good stuff so far fellas. keep it up :thumbsu:

that is possibly one of the worst things someone has ever written on bigfooty. Ever! just pointless
this is a football forum mate lets keep it football related.
but yeh nah keep it up :thumbsu:

i can't believe there is even discussion about this chris prowse is a terrible footballer. every time i've played him i've never had the slightest amount of trouble with him. and he is not vic metro's second ruckman, he is their 4th and in the TAC cup i have played a good 4 or 5 ruckmen eligible for metro that are exponentially better than him. and sadly the only thing bigger than his ego is his head.

i can't believe there is even discussion about this chris prowse is a terrible footballer. every time i've played him i've never had the slightest amount of trouble with him. and he is not vic metro's second ruckman, he is their 4th and in the TAC cup i have played a good 4 or 5 ruckmen eligible for metro that are exponentially better than him. and sadly the only thing bigger than his ego is his head.
so in short your arrogant. so if hes only the 4th best ruckman in the Victorian Metropolitan Region. He is killing the APS at the moment and a force to be reckoned with

Mate, chris has been BOG in 3 of the last 4 games, won the game for xavier on saturday and has good hands...he can play, Been playing since year 10, and has come into his own this year..The fact that hes 4th in vic is irrelevant, this is APS footy were talking about and hes been playing well for xavier. He wins most taps and will be hard to beat against Haileybury and Skevs.

I have never attended a xavier vs st.kevin's game and am looking forward go getting to my first on the 18th.

was hoping to find out some of the history and background to this fixture. why is it such a big game? obviously being the onyl two catholic schools in the aps but surely it digs deeper than this. what sort of crowd have there been in the past and what sort of number should i expect to se this year? and finally when did all this xavier v stkevins mentaility start and what have been some of the biggest game in years gone by between these two schools?

cheers

I have never attended a xavier vs st.kevin's game and am looking forward go getting to my first on the 18th.

was hoping to find out some of the history and background to this fixture. why is it such a big game? obviously being the onyl two catholic schools in the aps but surely it digs deeper than this. what sort of crowd have there been in the past and what sort of number should i expect to se this year? and finally when did all this xavier v stkevins mentaility start and what have been some of the biggest game in years gone by between these two schools?

cheers

The reason this is such a hyped up game is being the only two catholic schools in the aps, which helps with the fact the two schools are close.

Xavier has always been the standout school in the aps and skevs hate this fact and have always wanted to knock them off when they come across each other. The two have always had hotly contested contests and each team seems to go up another cog when they face each other. Be it cricket or footy, always the same. The other thing that makes this contest great is the streak that Xavier had over skevs for 13 years, came to an end last year.

Just a brief look at the rivalry

The reason this is such a hyped up game is being the only two catholic schools in the aps, which helps with the fact the two schools are close.

Xavier has always been the standout school in the aps and skevs hate this fact and have always wanted to knock them off when they come across each other. The two have always had hotly contested contests and each team seems to go up another cog when they face each other. Be it cricket or footy, always the same. The other thing that makes this contest great is the streak that Xavier had over skevs for 13 years, came to an end last year.

*were the standout school.

From a skevs outlook, id say that xavier have always seemed somewhat arrogant in their boasts, commenting on SKC being a 2nd rate catholic school - but times have changed significantly over the past 20 odd years, and in the last 10 yrs skevs seem to have overtaken them.

But there has always been this huge rivalry in footy. skevs have won 2 premierships in footy but haven't managed to beat Xavier in that time frame, with a lot of hype ensuing.

so in short your arrogant. so if hes only the 4th best ruckman in the Victorian Metropolitan Region. He is killing the APS at the moment and a force to be reckoned with

nah mate definately not arrogant, just no where he and i stand in the scheme of things. I'm just disappointed that plenty of quality TAC players that are more athletically gifted, talented or both don't get the recognition that he does.

past tense catsdynasty, past tense. i believe you have answered your own question here:

what are you on about? I'm seriously struggling to understand where you're coming from. i'm saying stuff like the Jack lloyd situation, maytime fair constant community service just shuts down whatever point you are trying to make. make some sense and then come and talk to me

always looking to the past are the xavas, only further entrenching their ignorance of the present.

but with all due respect to catsdynasty, who I have given a friendly ribbing this evening, the reason the skevs-xavier rivalry is so fierce stems from the historic perception of xavier as Melbourne's elite and most financially able catholic school, and the perception of st kevin's being a school for the gifted but less privileged (traditionally irish) catholic section of Melbourne society.

this relationship has evolved over the years where this 'class-rivalry' aspect has become fairly irrelevant. indeed, xavier and skevs boys tend to come from the same deck these days. as a skevs boy i can say that most blokes at st kevin's (past and present) had a best mate, uncle, brother, brother in law, father, family friend or teacher who went to xavier, and i dare say that would be mirrored at xavier as well. because of this, the links between the two schools are strong and always will be.

the rivalry is best showcased through football for three key reasons. firstly, xavier is traditionally the best football school in melbourne (all aps schools value a win over xavier in football higher than most others - at any level, 1sts or year 7s). and secondly, being from the same deck, xavs and skevs blokes love to get a one up over each other in the football stakes - the close relationship between the two schools adds a personal facet to the match that most aps fixtures lack. and thirdly, though having had many great contests over the years, (2001 and 2009 spring to mind) skevs has only beaten xavier twice in the last 14 years - in 1996 and 2010. because of this, the game gains great gravitas (alliteration) from the emotion at stake in this fixture every year.

the xavs skevs game always draws a great crowd from both schools. i think there'd have been over a thousand people down at xavier last year to see the mighty skevs knock off xavier for the first time in 14 years. if the weather is fine come the 18th I think we can expect even more.

...the reason the skevs-xavier rivalry is so fierce stems from the historic perception of xavier as Melbourne's elite and most financially able catholic school, and the perception of st kevin's being a school for the gifted but less privileged .....

xavier is traditionally the best football school in melbourne (all aps schools value a win over xavier in football higher than most others - at any level, 1sts or year 7s).
Interesting stuff ! In my day (40 years ago ), Xavier were one of the Big Four ( SC, MGS and GGS were the others ) and it was generally all about rowing ! WC and Carey were a little too socially strict ( hard to believe now ! ) and GC were very nice but a bit small. In footy, any win up on the hill at Xavier meant cold showers and cold shoulders whereas a win at MGS was OKish ( very civilised and patronising ), a win a GGS was assumed ( if you could survive the bus trip ), and SC just got very angry !!! St Ks were the new guys ( with BGS, CGS, HC etc ) and the rowing just got too crowded .. and then girls got involved ! And now ( horror ) sporting scholarships ! And in those days, catholic schools used to march on St Patrick's Day. APS footy wasn't of a great standard and 'amateur' - you'd drift off into the VFA if you wanted to keep playing.

Cleary things have changed ! But we did play against David Clarke ( GC )who was picked up by Geelong U19s and won their 1sts B&F in his first year so there were some good players !! Good luck to all the schools and may the rivalries continue to evolve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back