xavier vs st kevin's

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW both schools are great schools and anybody who attended either one of them should feel priviledged.

I guess though both being the 'mick' schools of the APS competition comparisons are always going to be drawn.

I went to skevs but have had cousins, a lot of mates and currently a nephew at xavier.
i actually liked the fact that skevs was a smaller, tougher,younger school than its main rival.Even though Xavier were a powerhouse thru the 80's and 90's we had some great football contests with them, we may not have won that often but they were always hard games.

its pleasing to see that in recent years skc are starting to hold their own in the APS and especially in football but I think a bit of perspective and humility is required here, regardless of what the tabloids write about xavier and whether their 1sts win a game of footy they should always be respected.Just concentrate on knocking them off each year instead of slagging them off and then they'll respect you...

a balanced and fair post :thumbsu:

les_narrowweb__300x449,2.jpg

St Kevin's might have won the footy on the weekend after an eternity of losing, but Xavier still have Sir Les Patterson!

Interesting article about Skevs..
"No peace in our time between AFL and schools" - Mark Hawthorne, May 26, 2010
COMPETITION for the best young talent is nothing new - just look at the measures Richmond is taking to prevent Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney from poaching the club's young gun Dustin Martin.
Tigers president Gary March even has young Martin staying at the family home in Middle Park, in order to ensure the lad is happy in Melbourne.
Richmond's battle to keep hands off its budding stars doesn't come close to being the biggest spat over young players in football.
The AFL and Melbourne's prestigious Associated Public Schools are at loggerheads over access to schoolboy players, and a memorandum of understanding between the parties could soon be torn up as a result.
The APS has been a rich source of talent over the years. Chris Judd and Brendon Goddard went to Caulfield Grammar. Jobe Watson and Luke Ball attended Xavier. St Kevin's was the school of Brad Scott and brother Chris. You could spend hours compiling a list of APS schoolboys who made it to the AFL/VFL.
A ''gentlemen's agreement'' was reached between the APS and AFL over availability, but a number of principals claim the AFL has not been true to its word.
Under a memorandum of understanding between the APS and AFL, the league allows boys to represent their school ahead of their TAC Cup club when fixtures clash. In return, the APS allows its schoolboys to attend TAC training once a week and makes the boys available for one of two Victorian squad trial games. This year the first trial match was played on April 17 - an APS practice round - and thus the schools fulfilled their side of the agreement.
Unfortunately the coach of the Victorian team, former Essendon player Anton Grbac, insisted that APS players also turn out for the second trial match on Sunday, May 16.
As a result, APS boys missed the fourth round of the school competition, in contravention of the MoU. The schools have cried foul. Breaching such an agreement is certainly not considered good form by those who run Melbourne's finer private schools.
Among the hardest hit was St Kevin's in Toorak, which lost three star players for its clash with Wesley College, one of the teams to beat this season.
St Kevin's went into the match without Thomas Liberatore and Mitch Wallis, the respective sons of former Western Bulldogs stars Tony Liberatore and Steven Wallis, and another shining light in Dylan Conway. Wesley lost just one player to the Victorian trial match, and beat St Kevin's by 14 points, ending their premiership hopes. ''That was pretty much season over,'' said a source at St Kevin's.
The school is fuming because young Liberatore and Wallis, who also play for Calder Cannons, are almost certain to be taken as father-son selections by the Bulldogs next year. The club has even set aside Libba's No. 39 and Wallis' No. 24 guernseys for the boys.

''What's the point in Liberatore playing a quarter-and-a-half of footy in front of AFL talent scouts when everyone knows he's going to the Bulldogs anyhow?'' said a source close to the school.
The AFL is learning just how seriously Melbourne's well-heeled schools take their footy. A full review of the MoU with the AFL is planned by the APS and it seems a few TAC teams will have buckley's chance of getting any schoolboys to training next season.
''As far as we are concerned, that piece of paper signed by the AFL is about as effective as Neville Chamberlain's 1938 Munich agreement with Hitler,'' Sporting Life was told

Most of us don't really care about the Mick schools anyway.

As for pumping up Xavier - are you serious ???? Bullying, out of control muck up days, they do appear to be attracting some lower class students in recent years.

As for scholarships - St Kevs 1st XIIX is full of them, stop lying and just admit it.
Writing cheques to win a premiership will never make you a "great sporting school with great tradition", just ask Haylebury.

As for pumping up Xavier - are you serious ???? Bullying, out of control muck up days, they do appear to be attracting some lower class students in recent years.

As for scholarships - St Kevs 1st XIIX is full of them, stop lying and just admit it.
Writing cheques to win a premiership will never make you a "great sporting school with great tradition", just ask Haylebury.
Clearly you've got an agenda here mate.
SKC isn't full of scholarships, two boys are on them (one of them wanting to be at skevs already, before he got one).

What happened with Xavier you would find happens at most schools, however the media decides to blow things out of proportions. The past year level may have been a bit full on, but if you are saying that no other private school has bullying and all, your delusional mate.

enjoy your red card mate. if you dont care about the mick schools then why are you posting on a thread devoted exclusively to them? as for your other points i won't bother.

It is amazing how two idiots arguing two completely different stupid points: one just plain badly constructed and the other just ignorant and sectarian can when having their arguments combined, and then explained in complete reverse can adequately describe the truth of St Kevin’s College history, status and performance.

On the History front St Kevin’s Mr Brady is 92 years old and as mentioned started as a finishing school for the other Christian Brothers Schools in Melbourne and at same stages even for regional schools such as St Pats Ballarat. The reason for such a system was because 92 years ago most Catholics or Micks as RMercadi refers to us were then poor Irish immigrants who simply could not afford to pay for their sons to complete their schooling due to the necessity of the money they could make as 16year olds in the workforce.

Therefore most students at SKC needed a scholarship to attend, like my Grandfather did who Mr Brady being a history buff might of read the well known football book his ghost-wrote called “Football The Australian Way” as a regular Heard football writer. He was one of many Australian Irish Catholics (Micks for RMercadi) who assisted by SKC scholarships and other Christian Brother schools around Australia’s scholarships has seen Irish-Catholic Australians become completely integrated into the Australian society. This is shown in the evidence of (Micks) reaching of every position of high statesmanship in the country. Such positions being Police Commissioners, High Court Judges and even a Prime Minister in Paul Keating).

Now listen carefully Mr Brady, because here is your dumb answer that despite your self promotion as a history buff you don’t know: as SKC operated solely as a finishing school for a significant period it could not enter the APS logically because an APS school has to field sporting sides for all year levels. Once St Kevin’s became a school with more year levels it then entered the APS when the organisation opened for new schools. This does not take away from the school’s age of 92 years but however displays the unity of one of the APS schools in number to have such good sporting strike rate against much larger schools.

Finally according to your logic Mr Brady we should all be bowing down to football might of the Melbourne Football Club with its successful traditions and premiership cups won when my parents where children rather than say a team that has won flags in my lifetime such as Hawthorn. Move on to lets say 1992 at first and work from their to the current day where at the moment SKC has made giant leaps to became one of the undisputed sporting, academic, and cultural leaders amongst schooling in l in Melbourne today and they should be praised for that fact. As for RMercadi, as a eighth generation Australian Mick and a third Generation product of SKC, it really makes feel proud that I went to an institution that helped people be judged on their merits and not sectarian lines. A irreversible situation that all ignorant people like you will never be able to change no matter why pathetic and sectarian your views.

Finally I bet you care about SKC when its students defeat yours in most sports and then take their spots at uni RMercadi. Alongside this maybe you should do some reading on your own AFL side. As your Mick reference looks really dumb when one look just past the colours of your jumper. You have a statue of the club’s Godfather outside your ground named Jack Dyer who once said “If you lived in Richmond, you were Catholic, voted Labor and barracked for Richmond. Whilst the club’s longest game holder is called K “Fish and Chips” Bartlett for a reason.

I think the rose coloured glasses are being worn here...My posts aren't an attack on your school and they arent unstructured. Im meerely stating facts.

I never actually disputed the age of SKC, just stated (which is fact and no room to budge) that it joined the APS comp in 1958. Yes it is an older school than that, however all of those schools in the system before SKC had also been operating before the comp started in 1900 (technically 1908, however this is only when GC came. It had been going before then too).

Im sure your school is fantastic, "one of the finest institutions" etc. however to say it has overtaken XC due to the last win 2 weeks ago is farcical. Im not talking about anything else other than footy, there is a secondary education thread in the schools thread if people want to compare the schools there. And this is the point im getting at. XC is the premier footy school in the country. A few good years wont change that.

On your point about MFC, i've argued this already and my belief is yes they should be admired, they're the oldest club and wearing that jumper would be far more of an honour when you consider those who have worn it previously.

gb
:eek:

Greg, here our two major blunt facts that you might like to brush up on.
1. There are other Schools in Australia that our not APS Independent Private Schools in Victoria.
2. There are a range of Schools that play Football outside of Victoria.

For example what about the Christian Brothers school - Aquinas College in Perth which has produced: Peter Bell, Ben Allen, Simon Black, Daniel Kerr, Paul Duffield, Quinten Lynch, and now Nathan Fyfe to name just a few footballers.

Not to mention other athletes such as 1500m Olympic gold medallist Herb Elliot, Justin Langer and Terry Alderman. Bare this mind about Aquinas College for later.

You see the problem with your arguments is they are based on achievements achieved due to Social Restrictions from fifty years ago of socio-economic and Sectarian nature. The APS was setup to replica the Public Schools System home country by people in Melbourne who came to the city already as the “Haves”. The restricted the association to the fellow “Haves” in that all the competing schools were almost identical in religious and cultural areas with the exception of XC.

XC were the exception allowed in as a select few Jesuit schools are within the English Public Schools as the Jesuits as an order have always been the wealthiest and most intellectual. Most importantly, despite being Catholics the Jesuits are a Continental order with its roots in France and Rome not Ireland. The Christian Brothers running SKC were never allowed this opportunity as they was poor order (Hence they could not afford the money to become priests) teaching to make social differences for people with their same Irish backgrounds. The racist abuse many Muslims suffer today in Australia was very much the same for “Micks” (as written above) in early Australia and heavily Protestant populated Melbourne in particular.

There was no way that SKC firmly entrenched in Irish traditions in its Name, Building and School House names and even colours in the early years of the APS amongst the rife sectarian of the Melbourne “Haves” would have been able to join. In fact in the fifties, some sectarian elements still tried in vein to prevent SKC entering the APS. XC in fact, went into bat against one particular school close to SKC and the rest is history.

Now if you should look at Aquinas College who had no Jesuit school to compete with for the token Catholic position in the Perth PSA (St Louis’s always stressed an emphasis on study over sport in its ethos). This Christian Brother’s school with the aid of an extra fifty years of competition has record that SKC could amassed if having been accepted into the APS on school’s merits rather than “thinly veiled” barred for religious reasons.. I don’t how many AFL flags XC won exactly but I’m guessing Aquinas’s total of over 50 alongside being the leader in Athletics (also over 50), Swimming, Rowing, Cross Country and Hockey (Much larger sport in WA) looks still pretty impressive compared to it.

As for your ultimate respect for Melbourne, your comments really show the lack of insight you have on recruitment over the years in the AFL. There is a simple reason why Melbourne won almost all those flags. They went up to prospective players and offered them jobs stamping papers when wealthier supporters. Might not sound like a lot now but stamping papers rather digging ditches added ten years on to your life then. They reason their dominance came to a grinding halt was because eventually the other club’s supporters (Carlton, Collingwood Richmond in particular) began to money come their way as social structures began to break down creating a much larger middle class. These clubs started paying players significantly upright and Melbourne were left to watch on.

Which gets us back to XC: Why are they no longer doing any well and are not the premier Catholic School in football anymore because just like Melbourne their winning method (Scholarships rather than jobs) has been snatched by other sides.

But then again I forgot you’re a historian of the game who uses the terrific in depth historic analysis of looking at a set of numbers to dismiss particular sporting achievements yet praise others. Just a hint, all historians take a look past a stats sheet of when schools join comps and how many trophies they have won (This goes when study of sport history as well). They look at what the social, cultural, and economic reasons were for these occurrences and then make judgements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see the problem with your arguments is they are based on achievements achieved due to Social Restrictions from fifty years ago of socio-economic and Sectarian nature. The APS was setup to replica the Public Schools System home country by people in Melbourne who came to the city already as the “Haves”. The restricted the association to the fellow “Haves” in that all the competing schools were almost identical in religious and cultural areas with the exception of XC.

This Christian Brother’s school with the aid of an extra fifty years of competition has record that SKC could amassed if having been accepted into the APS on school’s merits rather than “thinly veiled” barred for religious reasons.. I don’t how many AFL flags XC won exactly but I’m guessing Aquinas’s total of over 50 alongside being the leader in Athletics (also over 50), Swimming, Rowing, Cross Country and Hockey (Much larger sport in WA) looks still pretty impressive compared to it.

Which gets us back to XC: Why are they no longer doing any well and are not the premier Catholic School in football anymore because just like Melbourne their winning method (Scholarships rather than jobs) has been snatched by other sides.

But then again I forgot you’re a historian of the game who uses the terrific in depth historic analysis of looking at a set of numbers to dismiss particular sporting achievements yet praise others. Just a hint, all historians take a look past a stats sheet of when schools join comps and how many trophies they have won (This goes when study of sport history as well). They look at what the social, cultural, and economic reasons were for these occurrences and then make judgements.

You're clearly a little over sensitive here mate. Im not trying to claim im a historian who knows all when it comes to APS football. Im just stating facts. XC have won 30-40 APS football titles from memory since joining in 1900. SKC have won 2 since joining in 1958 (97 and 09) which supports your argument that they took a while to become good. However, it is a double edged sword as it suggests had they been given an extra 50 years before 1958 they may still have only won two as they only became a force recently.

Saying wealth is the reason behind this and that SKC were no good because they didnt offer scholarships is ignorant. GGS is one of the wealthiest schools in the country yet they have won a similar amount of football titles as SKC. I'd strongly disagree if you said that wealthier people tend to make better footballers.

Football scholarships from what i've heard is a pretty new innitiative from around the early 90's (cant say if this is correct or not, but for the sake of the competetion i hope it is).
How can you be sure Xavier offered scholarships and that was the only reason they won. I have no idea however i dont know anyone who attended that school on a scholarship. And whilst they admit to two from recent years, it seems students are adament they dont give them out. To me it sounds a little bitter especially considering it is a well known fact SKC give football scholarships as well.

Again, i'll repeat i have nothing against SKC as ive said above they are now a force in the APS, i just disagree when people say they've overtaken Xavier due to a few good years.

gb:eek:

Go eat a potato Monty Mensch, you dirty Irish man.

Enjoy getting a touch in the WAFL Mark? only took you playing in the fourth best league in the country to find the footy a bit.

You missed my point entirely Greg, Wealth allowed schools such as XC an extra 50 years to rack up premierships SKC were enabled to win as the school spent this time evolving from a small finnishing school to one large enough to enter the APS.

Also I suppose you probably think England and Scotland are greater Soccer nations than Brazil and Italy as for years it was only them that played internationals for the world title.

The logic you use for the Melbourne Football Club and to downplay SKC recent success means this is a GREG BRADY LOGICAL CONCLUSION.

Enjoy getting a touch in the WAFL Mark? only took you playing in the fourth best league in the country to find the footy a bit.

You missed my point entirely Greg, Wealth allowed schools such as XC an extra 50 years to rack up premierships SKC were enabled to win as the school spent this time evolving from a small finnishing school to one large enough to enter the APS.

Also I suppose you probably think England and Scotland are greater Soccer nations than Brazil and Italy as for years it was only them that played internationals for the world title.

The logic you use for the Melbourne Football Club and to downplay SKC recent success means this is a GREG BRADY LOGICAL CONCLUSION.
I think you've missed the points i have made as well.

gb:eek:

Clearly you've got an agenda here mate.
SKC isn't full of scholarships, two boys are on them (one of them wanting to be at skevs already, before he got one).

What happened with Xavier you would find happens at most schools, however the media decides to blow things out of proportions. The past year level may have been a bit full on, but if you are saying that no other private school has bullying and all, your delusional mate.
Stkevins have 3 year 11 scolarships and 1 year 12 now that tommy nicholls left.

Now basic shoplifting in NZ - this school really has some problems. Maybe send them to the AGSV for a cupla years as their punishment.

I'm pretty sure that since the 1st APS Premiership Skevs won in 89' (in Cricket) only 1 school has won more APS Premierships. They have also produced AFL players in spades since the 30's, i.e. Phonse Kyne, Allan La Fontaine, Ryan O'Keefe & the 2 Scott twins is some of the best players produced out of the APS Schools.

Xavier:

Ted Richards
Luke Ball
Josh Kennedy [Sydney]
Jobe Watson
Robbie Tarrant
Mathew Spangher
Casey Sibiasido
Dan Hanneberry
Andrew Leoncelli
Mathew Ball
Andrew Schauble
Sam Shaw

just to name a few there are two very large honour boards at the school with many others.

Xavier:

Ted Richards
Luke Ball
Josh Kennedy [Sydney]
Jobe Watson
Robbie Tarrant
Mathew Spangher
Casey Sibiasido
Dan Hanneberry
Andrew Leoncelli
Mathew Ball
Andrew Schauble
Sam Shaw

just to name a few there are two very large honour boards at the school with many others.

Not house hold names, but here are a few others off the top of my head.
James Davies
Cayden Beetham
Cameron Hunter

Im sure there is 2 or 3 more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back