Opinion Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You can only win 1, but I’m sure they’ll find a way. They love Geelong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Buddy will get it before Hawkins if they both retire in the same season

Saw him play many times im not saying he wasn't a good player l reckon Rioli weightman richo jess Keane clay Stewart Hart Dean Wood were better
In his prime in he was a star, late 60's to late 70's. Won the Jack Dyer medal at 21 years old, 5x Premierships, Victorian Captain 1977 & 1980.
Team of the Century and probably Richmond's most respected player by other clubs ever. Tough as hell and super reliable.

Ok we have enough votes (79) in as of Wed 14th of dec at 6.03pm.

According to the Richmond board the greatest Richmond players are ..

1. Dustin Martin
- The strength of a beast and the skills of a surgeon. Along with supporting crew, he delivered the club 3 grand finals and is unequivocally the greatest finals player of all time.
Incredibly humble, a man who overcame mental demons and parasitic journalists to become king of modern AFL.

2. Kevin Bartlett
- Incredible longevity. Skill and poise. An underrated athlete who won 5 flags and 5 b&fs.
Ran rings around oppo players for 20 years, would have dominated in any era.
They don't build statues unless you are a great.

3.Royce Hart
- Dominant soaring center half-forward who starred in the golden era. Unbeatable one-on-one. Still dominated when he did his knee. A great of the game.

Equal 4th
Jack Dyer
- The man of his era, a true leader of men who had skill, toughness and was a fearsome presence.

Alex Rance
- Changed the way defenders played, the greatest defender of the modern era. Could read the ball flight before all other players and showed exceptional bravery.

Last edited:
Agreed but don’t forget the average modern player would run rings around them athletically which is a pretty big leveller. If you plugged KB into 2022 he’d still be a weapon but the athletic advantage he had over most players in the 60’s and 70’s would be a lot closer to the pack today. On the other hand Dusty would be just as dominant in any era you put him in.

Perfect player would be a guy that grew up playing in the old days but had the running and overall athletic capacity that players have today.
Might be forgetting where those older players played the wide spaces of the junction oval etc compared to where they play nowadays and undercover some games! The number of games they played back then to now and so on. Compare Jack Titus to Lynch how would you go about it? Like you say different game styles they would say what is this handball business? For me, classic football had everything where the modern game is getting to the stage of being unwatchable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relton Roberts my pick

Think it was a KFC promotion at the time. Go up to the counter three times within an hour and you get a spot on the Richmond list.

Blokes like Marty mcGrath and Justin Plapp will give you a glimpse of why they were chosen by the club but I never saw Relton do anything at VFL level that gave any indication as to what we liked in him as a player.

KB'S 1980 finals series the stuff of legend.

Might be my best memory of Richmond ever

We had been flogged against South Melbourne in the last game and the family friend who took me to the Qualifying (we could have had weeks rest if we had beaten the swans as we should have) gave us no chance against the Blues

KB had different ideas. One of my favourite games as I was there. Followed up against Geelong and then Collingwood.

3 match winning games in 3 finals. There is no thread about Best Richmond player of all time without KB in there.

Ok we have enough votes (79) in as of Wed 14th of dec at 6.03pm.

According to the Richmond board the greatest Richmond players are ..

1. Dustin Martin
- The strength of a beast and the skills of a surgeon. Along with supporting crew, he delivered the club 3 grand finals and is unequivocally the greatest finals player of all time.
Incredibly humble, a man who overcame mental demons and parasitic journalists to become king of modern AFL.

2. Kevin Bartlett
- Incredible longevity. Skill and poise. An underrated athlete who won 5 flags and 5 b&fs.
Ran rings around oppo players for 20 years, would have dominated in any era.
They don't build statues unless you are a great.

3.Royce Hart
- Dominant soaring center half-forward who starred in the golden era. Unbeatable one-on-one. Still dominated when he did his knee. A great of the game.

Equal 4th
Jack Dyer
- The man of his era, a true leader of men who had skill, toughness and was a fearsome presence.

Alex Rance
- Changed the way defenders played, the greatest defender of the modern era. Could read the ball flight before all other players and showed exceptional bravery.
This voting system is flawed. Unless you saw both players you should not have a vote. As much as I love Dusty and consider him a great of the game, Kevin Bartlett was a superior player. Faster than Dusty, kicked more goals, won more BNFs and of course played a lot more games. He was an ugly baldy little dynamo but the best I’ve seen. In the modern era he’d still star. He was an absolute powerhouse.

However, Dusty is still playing and with another BNF, another Normie and another flag or 2, we who have seen both may elevate Dusty to UNO numero.

This voting system is flawed. Unless you saw both players you should not have a vote. As much as I love Dusty and consider him a great of the game, Kevin Bartlett was a superior player. Faster than Dusty, kicked more goals, won more BNFs and of course played a lot more games. He was an ugly baldy little dynamo but the best I’ve seen. In the modern era he’d still star. He was an absolute powerhouse.

However, Dusty is still playing and with another BNF, another Normie and another flag or 2, we who have seen both may elevate Dusty to UNO numero.
I voted for KB , Dustin and Rance.
The poll reflects the votes, I can't do much about that.

Don’t stress, the good thing about going for Richmond is we have both

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back