Who else is conflicted...?

Remove this Banner Ad

after 50 + years following the tiges I'm just enjoying the ride these days, how about comparing it to a golf game
10 goal loss or more double bogey = we are s**t
6-9g loss bogey = some kids showing a bit
3-5g loss par = plenty of hope for 2025 and top 4 pick
close loss birdie = happy, kids having a red hot crack and would have won without so many injuries.
Win eagle = you bloody beauty, keep playing more kids and manage the oldies.

after 50 + years following the tiges I'm just enjoying the ride these days, how about comparing it to a golf game
10 goal loss or more double bogey = we are s**t
6-9g loss bogey = some kids showing a bit
3-5g loss par = plenty of hope for 2025 and top 4 pick
close loss birdie = happy, kids having a red hot crack and would have won without so many injuries.
Win eagle = you bloody beauty, keep playing more kids and manage the oldies.
Any other analogy for those of us who don't like golf?

I

I doubt there are any players over 25 that will see a flag. Young players in our side other than Bolton do not appear to be A grade, so this could be a long hall back to contention. No tanking! Young players need to learn a win at all cost manner/attitude.
No point them learning to win if they ain’t good enough to win the ultimate prize . It’s about winning flags not finishing 9-12 every year .
Id rather finish bottom twice in a decade and contend twice in a decade rather than finishing 9-12 for the whole decade .
Build to win a flag !

That’s an easy one to answer. Let’s look at the Premiers each year versus the wooden spooner, going from the tail end of the draft:

Premier: pick 90

Bottom : pick 73
Premier: pick 72

Bottom: pick 55
Premier: pick 54

Bottom: pick 37
Premier: pick 36

Bottom: pick 19
Premier: pick 18

Bottom: pick 1

See how stupid it is to base anything at all on end of year draft picks allocated via ladder position?

When you think about it, the bottom team only has 1 x chance at the player pool to choose ahead of the Premiers.

So forget about our ladder position and cheer like crazy for every win we can get… only loser clubs barrack for losses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is so true. I was thinking about this just the other day. All you are really getting for finishing bottom is just that one extra pick, obviously it's the best rated kid, but plenty fail and culture is always more important than any one player.

I can 100% live with a couple of very down years so long as the team we put on the field has youth who has earned their spot. The veterans role right now is to help develop them and pass on the culture. Winning a few meaningless games with a team full of guys in their last year would be pretty shallow. But games won by a young team finding their feet is a whole lot better.

Think about how Cotchin, Dusty, Riewoldt, Rance etc didn't get to walk into a place with a premiership winning culture and how these guys helped build it. It's why our young guys like Banks, Brown, Sonsie etc should be in a much much better place being able to be mentored by Short, Rioli, Baker who themselves have had great leaders.

We cannot throw all this away from a few extra draft picks. With that said, I don't think we need to tank this year, I think a bottom four spot is pretty well locked in due to the injuries so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back