Who else is conflicted...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I hate these seasons where i feel like I'm barracking for and against the team every game. Before the game, I convince myself that it'll be best if we lose for the draft picks but once the game is on, I'm all in hoping we win. At the end of the game, I'm back to being conflicted. I want to see the aging stars have awesome seasons but I also want to trade them out for picks to bring in new stars. I want to play the kids but want to reward form. I want to see more games on Thursday and Friday nights but hate to see us embarrassed in the limelight. I want to see Bolton, Baker, Lynch, Balta, Dusty and Rioli set the world on fire but I want to see more kids played. I just want us to be successful but fight myself over whether its success in the moment or success for the unpredictable future that's more important.

I hate these seasons...

CFL is that rigged these days that even when you bottom out, they'll help you get to the top.

And when you're at the top, they'll help you get to the bottom.

I get ya. The head says getting games into the kids, seeing the next gen be competitive at the level and getting a top 5 draft pick at the end of it as a cherry on top is good for a season or two.

But when we're in a game up to your necks, particularly ones we're not "meant" to win, it's hard to not be disappointed when falling just short (i.e. Carlton, Port, Saints matches).

Not sure about trading experienced favourites. Wouldn't begrudge a Baker if he gets an offer too good to refuse. Or Dusty plays out his last year or two - he's earnt the right to do whatever the heck he wants. But I'm happy for our older brigade to go out in a timely fashion over the next couple of seasons. Times probably up for KMac, Grimes, Meatball, Pickett this year.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

I hate these seasons where i feel like I'm barracking for and against the team every game. Before the game, I convince myself that it'll be best if we lose for the draft picks but once the game is on, I'm all in hoping we win. At the end of the game, I'm back to being conflicted. I want to see the aging stars have awesome seasons but I also want to trade them out for picks to bring in new stars. I want to play the kids but want to reward form. I want to see more games on Thursday and Friday nights but hate to see us embarrassed in the limelight. I want to see Bolton, Baker, Lynch, Balta, Dusty and Rioli set the world on fire but I want to see more kids played. I just want us to be successful but fight myself over whether its success in the moment or success for the unpredictable future that's more important.

I hate these seasons...
I feel you and understand your thoughts...
but it's all about the draft picks.
finishing near the bottom and moving some players on is the best end result for our year.
picks,picks and more picks !

I'm not conflicted at all, a winning attitude should always be first and foremost at a football club, not playing for draft picks.
If we are desperate for a 1st 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, trade for it if need be, but don't try to be a s**t team just to get a higher pick, s**t sticks and that's how you end up at the bottom for a prolonged period.
Play the kids when they deserve to be played, but put the best team on the park and try to win every game.
Also, in the modern free agency you don't have to bottom out to get access to top players at "no cost".
I want this club and all involved to always strive to be the best they can and look to win at every opportunity.

I'm not conflicted at all, a winning attitude should always be first and foremost at a football club, not playing for draft picks.
If we are desperate for a 1st 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, trade for it if need be, but don't try to be a s**t team just to get a higher pick, s**t sticks and that's how you end up at the bottom for a prolonged period.
Play the kids when they deserve to be played, but put the best team on the park and try to win every game.
Also, in the modern free agency you don't have to bottom out to get access to top players at "no cost".
I want this club and all involved to always strive to be the best they can and look to win at every opportunity.

Tell that to North Melbourne in round 23 last year. West Coast were laughing all the way to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern is Yze is still wanting us to win as many games as possible, so we end up winning a few meaningless games and drop to pick 5 or 6.
You never play to lose. Once that rot sets in, it becomes bloody hard to get out of. When Hardwick first took over he played to win and while we weren't good enough early on, losing the first 9 we ended the season winning 5 of the last 13 to finish the season with 6 wins, the following season we improved again to win 8 games in total, then improved to 10, then jumped to 15 to finish 5th.

We may only win 3-4 games this year if the injury crisis continues, but it matters little if we're playing a competitive brand of footy and not just being walked over eventually we will get the results, that firstly get us back into the finals then back into premiership contention.

Draft picks don't necessarily mean we'll be successful, look at North have all the picks in the world, but still struggling to be competitive, the Suns have first round picks coming out of their backside, yet aren't a certainty to even make the 8 this year.

I just want to see the kids improve over the course. So that’s my real joy from games this year. I am however running out of patience with some senior servants not being dropped and games are getting harder to watch bc of them. I’m not really worried about early draft picks unless a Dusty, Cotchin , Franklin or Reid are about . I want us being competitive and working on a game plan in which our kids can take into their future in unison so we can get to the top faster. To me that’s more of a win than a loss.

I agree with you Football Tragic but I can’t for the life of me fathom why the draft picks you get need to be based on where you finish at the end of the year and why they can’t switch to, say, some randomisation of picks (eg. Any team that misses the finals could get the #1 pick) that would put an end to tanking (and allegations of it)

That’s an easy one to answer. Let’s look at the Premiers each year versus the wooden spooner, going from the tail end of the draft:

Premier: pick 90

Bottom : pick 73
Premier: pick 72

Bottom: pick 55
Premier: pick 54

Bottom: pick 37
Premier: pick 36

Bottom: pick 19
Premier: pick 18

Bottom: pick 1

See how stupid it is to base anything at all on end of year draft picks allocated via ladder position?

When you think about it, the bottom team only has 1 x chance at the player pool to choose ahead of the Premiers.

So forget about our ladder position and cheer like crazy for every win we can get… only loser clubs barrack for losses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree with you Football Tragic but I can’t for the life of me fathom why the draft picks you get need to be based on where you finish at the end of the year and why they can’t switch to, say, some randomisation of picks (eg. Any team that misses the finals could get the #1 pick) that would put an end to tanking (and allegations of it)
I agree but everyone will complain that it's "too American".

but then the afl can get some frozen envolopes so the new york knicks i mean team of the afl's chosing get the no. 1 pick

That’s an easy one to answer. Let’s look at the Premiers each year versus the wooden spooner, going from the tail end of the draft:

Premier: pick 90

Bottom : pick 73
Premier: pick 72

Bottom: pick 55
Premier: pick 54

Bottom: pick 37
Premier: pick 36

Bottom: pick 19
Premier: pick 18

Bottom: pick 1

See how stupid it is to base anything at all on end of year draft picks allocated via ladder position?

When you think about it, the bottom team only has 1 x chance at the player pool to choose ahead of the Premiers.

So forget about our ladder position and cheer like crazy for every win we can get… only loser clubs barrack for losses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What I don’t get is the (AFL’s) idea that finishing position in one year is the best guide to where a team’s at. Why isn’t it based on, say, number of finals wins in the last five years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back