gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
C'mont/L'pool/Packers/Inter/Canucks
Thought we should have a roll call on this. :)

Which team do you support? And is there any reason why?

I was obsessed with cricket when I was a kid and only started following footy in 95 when Freo started. I was just starting to take an interest in other sports and thought it would be cool to follow a new team from it's inception.

I quickly fell in love with the game (it's now my favourite sport by far) so I thought I better adopt a WAFL team. The obvious choices were the 2 Freo teams and since Sth Freo shared the same oval as the Dockers they got my vote despite me preferring E. Freo's colours. A few years later I moved into a house 2 streets down from Freo Oval so that cemented my choice.

Even though I enjoy giving Sharks supporters grief they are still my 2nd favourite team, so I guess a lot of hardcore Bulldogs fans wouldn't consider me a real supporter though.

BTW nice choice of NFL and soccer teams Gytre, pity about the rest. Love the NHL but I haven't settled on a team yet, it'll definately be a Canadian side though.

I think after the Royals performance yesterday, they are proving that they are one of the better teams in the comp

South Fremantle. Because.

I don't recall ever making a "choice". Followed Souths for as far back as my memory goes. :)

(Looking pretty grim for us this year... :eek: ).

And estibador, it's funny how things change. My son, who is now aged 10, decided at age 4 that he was a Sharks supporter. I took him to a derby, all dressed in red and white, and despite the 10 goal flogging East Freo received on the day, he thought Sharks were a much more interesting animal to follow than Bulldogs. And so it was for him. Now, I would rate East Freo as my second team - partly because of him, partly because they are the other half of the reason why the second WA team was located in Fremantle, and also because of the number of Dockers who have come up through the junior ranks. There's not a week that goes by that there isn't some representation of Freo players donning the blue and white. :thumbsu:

BTW I never hated East Freo "the most", even back in the day when the VFL was just some competition played out on The Winners each Sunday, and the WAFL was the game we all tuned into. For me the teams to hate were always Swans (Boucher and Beasley) and Claremont (Ralph and Moss), and to a lesser degree East Perth (not sure why). ;)

BTW I never hated East Freo "the most", even back in the day when the VFL was just some competition played out on The Winners each Sunday, and the WAFL was the game we all tuned into. For me the teams to hate were always Swans (Boucher and Beasley)
Ahh... I remember those days with such fondness. :D How could any kid not hate Simon Beasley? :D

I was born in Subiaco - so Subiaco.

We where in the doldrums for so many years - it`s been a nice feeling for the past few years.

Perth. Mainly because my older brother did when we were kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Souths.
My dad was a pom who became a convert to the sport when he came over as a kid. He basically loved 3 sports, cricket, soccer & footy. When he had kids his footy attending dropped off & so did his interest. That meant he lost the opportunity to influence my brother & myself when it came to footy which I discovered at the age of 6.
Can't remember why I chose Souths, but it was over 30 years ago. It turned out that my brother chose Perth(who he's closely involved with these days) & my dad was upset as he was an East Perth man. To complicate things my mother, another pom(who hates footy to be honest) decided to choose a team & went with East Freo.

The Bulldogs, born and bred, despite living in the heart of the enemy, Sharks ****ers :p

Interesting, even from this small cross section that the results are already mirroring what seems to be the case when you look at attendances, and even other sites.

Over at Footygoss when I used to post there, the Claremont board was usually a ghost town. West Perth and South Fremantle boards very active.

What is it with Claremont. Were they worst hit with the formation of the Eagles, lots of members at the top end of town financially that 'moved up' to following VFL / AFL?

Interesting, even from this small cross section that the results are already mirroring what seems to be the case when you look at attendances, and even other sites.

Over at Footygoss when I used to post there, the Claremont board was usually a ghost town. West Perth and South Fremantle boards very active.

What is it with Claremont. Were they worst hit with the formation of the Eagles, lots of members at the top end of town financially that 'moved up' to following VFL / AFL?
I'm not really sure to be honest, but I suppose it could have been something of the yuppie bandwagon factor. I know that back in 1986 Claremont had 11,000 members, but that dropped massively with the formation of the Eagles.

I think traditionally, Claremont probably hasn't had the support base of some of the other more historically successful clubs. But I would have thought our early 1980s success would have seen us recruit a few more supporters.

South Fremantle

Reason being, our son played for the south warriors, 14's to 16's and is now is now in his first year in the colts, and hopefully might even get to play a game soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back