What's the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Amber Guzzler

Norm Smith Medallist
May 11, 2010
Where the wild things are
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do we, in our great game, award 4 points for a win, and 2 for a draw? Was there ever a time when 1 or 3 points could be awarded? If we've only ever awarded 2/4 points, then why not have 1/2 points instead?

4 points came from the fact that a game has 4 quarters, even though teams could win 3 of those quarters and still lose the whole game... a historical/traditional anomaly, just like how we award 1, 30, 40 in tennis

how about a modification, each game still has 4 points up for grabs...

3 pts for a win, the fourth point goes to the winner if they can win all 4 quarters, otherwise the losing side gets a point, gives both sides something to play for when the overall result is beyond doubt

still 2 points each for a draw at fulltime

would be interested to see a ladder based on those rules, being applied to the AFL right now

Rugby Union has 5 pts for a try (used to be 3, then 4), 3 pts for a penalty goal or drop goal and 2 for a conversion. Win the game and get 4 league pts plus or minus bonuses.

League has 4 for a try (used to be 3), 3 for a penalty and 1 for a drop goal. Win the game get 2 league pts.

American Football has 6 pts for a touchdown, 1 (or 2) for a point-after and 3 for a field goal. Win the game, get one league point.

Sports don't have to make sense.

I don't really think it matters.

I read somewhere that we used to be awarded 1 point for every quarter we won. I don't know how accurate that is, though.

4 points came from the fact that a game has 4 quarters, even though teams could win 3 of those quarters and still lose the whole game... a historical/traditional anomaly, just like how we award 1, 30, 40 in tennis

3 pts for a win, the fourth point goes to the winner if they can win all 4 quarters, otherwise the losing side gets a point, gives both sides something to play for when the overall result is beyond doubt

would be interested to see a ladder based on those rules, being applied to the AFL right now

Theoretically I don't mind this, although I am kind of already sick of the rules changes.

If they were to get rid of the draw during the H&A season (which I do not want), then they could award 3 points for the team who won in overtime and 1 point for the team who lost in overtime. This would at least show the difference between winning in normal time and in overtime and credit the team who managed to tie in normal time but lose in overtime with a point.

My understanding is that the old VFL retain the 4/2/0 so they could use the values 3/1 for administrative penalties. I can't verify this though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see something similar, but 4 points for a win, plus 1 point for every quarter won. That way, even if a team wins three quarters, but get overrun in the last, they'll still win 3 points. Could also eliminate one team chipping the ball around late in a game if they're just leading on the scoreboard, but have narrowly lost the quarter.

I'd like to see something similar, but 4 points for a win, plus 1 point for every quarter won. That way, even if a team wins three quarters, but get overrun in the last, they'll still win 3 points. Could also eliminate one team chipping the ball around late in a game if they're just leading on the scoreboard, but have narrowly lost the quarter.
You'd like to see the whole fabric of the game, points system and ladder changed? No thanks, sounds like a crap idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back