What is the AFL's logic behind the latest HTB interpretation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Does anyone know?

What does the game have to gain from not rewarding good tackles?

What does the game have to gain from not enforcing the application of fundamental skills?

What does the game have to gain from allowing unnecessary stoppages due to not pinging guys for HTB?

I honestly can't see it. This has me baffled.

Any thoughts?

I believe the rule is if there is no prior as long as they make a genuine attempt to dispose the ball it's fine even if they drop it. I think it's only called if the player opts to drop the ball

I believe the rule is if there is no prior as long as they make a genuine attempt to dispose the ball it's fine even if they drop it. I think it's only called if the player opts to drop the ball
Firstly, the OP applies to this also. What is to gain from this?

But you're right. That is the rule. But this year, and last year to a lesser extent, the concept of 'prior' has changed significantly. And the concept of a genuine attempt has also changed significantly.

No one makes a genuine attempt anymore if they think they had no prior… because they are getting pinned for dropping the ball if they dispose of it incorrectly… its wrong

They want the game to flow.

Which is why you can drop the ball and throw it and the weird situation where guys are being tackled, everyone stops, and the player holding the ball just drops it onto his foot and kicks a goal after being held for four seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back