WFL Whispers 2013.....

Remove this Banner Ad

What a day for Wimmera league footy, finally a new team will win the premiership after 10 years! Should be a cracker of a grand final.

Saw an incident in the last quarter with Pekin being stretchered off & Butsch ran off looking very sore and didn't come back on, he must be in some doubt for next w-end you would think. Also would make a lot more sense to have the GF at City oval obviously with Horsham not playing.

Footy is back healthy again in the wimmera and it seems interest has instantly risen!

How good was it yesterday to see an old fashioned cracking contest at the city oval in a gf! Would be even greater to back it up again next week as we see a new team awarded a premiership for first time in 10yrs, but sorry we have to all travel to the dictators den instead!

Hope you are onto something perfect pussies regarding wfl reuniting with the old umpiring group. Two years in a row now the hdfl gf umps have been critically aclaimed by all. Nice to see players allowed to play footy without umps egos getting involved! Even more evident this yr after the muppets we have had to put up with all season. Such a waste to have the hdfl umps not involved in what is supposed to be our premier league!

For gods sake club presidents stop whinging and act - force the dictators hand.....or has that already happened perfect pussies??

Heard that the incident with Pekin and Butsch was pretty clean and a bit of a accident however fair to say Butschy has not learnt from the incident with the young Coleman kid. Saw him sling tackle at least 3 Horsham guys yesterday so it would be disappointing if he won the best and FAIREST tonight.
And heavily agree with the above posts, time to move it back to City Oval as there would be at least 3 times the crowd, won't happen under the dictators watch though.

It is so good to see two different sides in the grand final! I think your right about more of a crowd at City oval, but is it a little late to change? I think they would have to do it today if they were going to.
I feel happy for the saints after every writing them off half way through the year. but to be honest. Dimboola will not let this go. they have worked to hard all year and are so hungry for this. they are the best side in this comp. Dimboola by 6 goals with Al mckinnon to get the best on ground medal and Ryan bell to receive the u'21 best on. Looking forward to it though!

Congratulations to Justin Chilver from Dimmy for taking out the Toohey last night.

Big night for the Roos with a win in the Ressies to Jackson O'Neill (tied with Jye Smith of the Dees) and Ryan Bell taking out the Rookie of the Year

Anyone know of the other place getters etc?

Who is everyone tipping this weekend? I think Dimmy will be too strong all over the ground and don't appear to have a weak link. The Saints' fringe players will be exposed and they just won't be able to stop the entry to Macfarlane and Exell who will dominate their positions. I look forward to seeing who the Saints throw in the deep end to try and cover Clugston, Macfarlane and Exell. Dimmy by 8 goals and Ash Clugston to get best on

Dimboola should win this game, but as we saw last w-end anything can happen on the day! I feel for the Saints to win they have to be up at half time or the roos will run all over them in the second half. It was there smaller forwards in O'Beirne & Cooke-Harrison who caused the most damage up forward last week, but can they do it again?

Butsch, Kelm & Watson are probably the saints' biggest 3 weapons & will need big games. But probably where Dimboola have a massive advantage is up forward, I think they've kicked about 600 more points during the year than saints & with Clugston, Macfarlane & Exell all in form good luck shutting all 3 down.

I'm tipping a very closely fought first half, but think Dimboola will break it open in the 3rd term with there class & fitness too much. Either way i'm just glad Horsham's streak has ended :thumbsu:

Dimboola should win this game, but as we saw last w-end anything can happen on the day! I feel for the Saints to win they have to be up at half time or the roos will run all over them in the second half. It was there smaller forwards in O'Beirne & Cooke-Harrison who caused the most damage up forward last week, but can they do it again?

Butsch, Kelm & Watson are probably the saints' biggest 3 weapons & will need big games. But probably where Dimboola have a massive advantage is up forward, I think they've kicked about 600 more points during the year than saints & with Clugston, Macfarlane & Exell all in form good luck shutting all 3 down.

I'm tipping a very closely fought first half, but think Dimboola will break it open in the 3rd term with there class & fitness too much. Either way i'm just glad Horsham's streak has ended :thumbsu:

Things that will happen on Saturday:

Kelm to play down back
Butsch to get through any injury concerns and have a big impact
Clugston to kick some classy goals
Chilver to have a quiet game
Saints to struggle with Roos forward line
Hallam to go close to Binns Medal
McFarlane to be best for roos
Small Saints forward line with Cooke-Harrison and o'beirne
Game could be won or lost in this battle ^^ against Magee & Braithwaite
Adams and Coombe will be undisciplined
Bell will be undisciplined
Crowd may just be bigger than anticipated, despite being at Nhill!

Any additions, comments?

Can't wait to get along and see the boys battle it out!

Kelm to play down back

Any additions, comments?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty stunned with the Saints late revival - they looked gone mid-season. maybe the Broadbent public tirade had its effect. Either way, they have more than lived up to early-season predictions and find themselves in a GF - very dangerous when on-song.

Sure, Dimmy should win, they have been the best team all year, but so was Kalkee. It's the favourites' worst nightmare.

Some keys to the outcome:

Can Dimboola switch-on from the first bounce? They may be a bit rusty after two big breaks during the finals, and they would be keen to restrict the anticipated early assault from the Saints and then come home with a wet sail in the second half.

Can Saints use their physicality and aggression to intimidate and beat-up the Roos early on, and then press on to 'pressure' their way to a flag? And can they defy the effects of the previous three big games and the six day break to play four quarters of premiership football?

Can playing an unexpected opponent disrupt Dimmy? They have been preparing mentally for what was their most anticipated match against hated rivals the Demons, and to be victorious against them like 1985 would have been the ultimate result. But to suddenly have that taken away from them might be a let-down, and mentally might affect them, even though they have had a week to adjust. Who knows, it might actually make them angry and determined to destroy the team that denied them their rightful place as the team to end the Demons 10 year dominance.

The Saints have become the giant-killers, the hunters, while Dimmy are now the hunted. As the underdogs, I reckon the Saints will take the game on and play with freedom and confidence after banishing the demons. But will the Roos be able to play with their natural flair, or get cramped and frustrated by the Saints pressure?

Which team can adjust to changing circumstances during the game? The Saints have obviously changed things around, using Kelm in defence and relying on their smaller forwards to disrupt defences and kick goals. If they starts this way again or try the more conventional set-up, it will be important for Dimmy to adjust with match-ups and tactics. What worked against the Demons may not work again now that the Roos have had time to prepare.

Do the Saints have answers to the Roos three-pronged forward set-up? Surely they will shore up their defence again with Butsch and Kelm, and rely on their midfield to restrict Dimmy forward entries while letting their smaller forwards run amok in attack. Like against the Demons, this would be their best bet coming up against Dimmy, even though the Roos will be ready for it.

One factor I think we can discount is complacency. The two big surprise upsets last week will have ensured the Roos will be fully aware of and respectful of the Saints ability, and know the team they meet tomorrow will be very different from the one they last played.

For me, despite the prime opportunity for an upset presented by a rampaging Saints outfit, I can't go past the sustained form and brilliance of the belief-filled Roos, who will power away late in the third qtr and prevail by 25 points.

Don't let Jordan McArdle or Colin MacGillivray see this mate, poor lads might get worried about their job security.

Great read

Ps: I like the work of the two mentioned names, it was in no way a dig)

Kelm to play down back

Any additions, comments?

Things that will happen Saturday:

Roos forward line dominate
90%+ of the crowd cheer for Dimboola
Broadbent to pass blame and cry after the game like the little b#*^& he is
Clugston to win the binns medal
A saints player to snipe someone off the ball
Dimmy to win- saints to lose their 7th or 8th or 9th grand final(unsure its been that many!) since joining the league without winning a single one! If there is a team who knows how to lose GF's it sure is them.

GO ROOS!

Gold buttons should hang his head in shame! The Wimmera League has been made look like a hick league. Insufficient toilets with queues 20-30 deep at ladies toilets. People who come to call the game for radio chucked on the back of a truck and only 1 BBQ food outlet! Its time the clubs got fair dinkum on their league and get rid of this turnip!

You
Gold buttons should hang his head in shame! The Wimmera League has been made look like a hick league. Insufficient toilets with queues 20-30 deep at ladies toilets. People who come to call the game for radio chucked on the back of a truck and only 1 BBQ food outlet! Its time the clubs got fair dinkum on their league and get rid of this turnip!

You are just looking for any negatives. Lots of positives from Nhill hosting thier 1st GF too!

Powerful display by Dimboola to break through for their first Premiership since 1985.

The Roos started out of the blocks with a quick early goal, and unfortunately for the Saints, never really looked threatened from there.

The Roos also had excellent contributions from virtually every player, living up to the adage that the difference between sides often comes down to how much you can get out of your bottom six players.
The Saints in contrast relied on the usual handful of guys, and didn't seem to get much out of half their list on the day.

Stand-out performers for Dimboola included Lachie Exell, who channelled the Incredible Hulk to absolutely dominate in attack, pulling down many high and body-on-body contested marks in a comprehensive exhibition of skill and strength on his way to 7 goals and best-on-ground honours. Elliot Braithwaite was his play-reading and zippy best, and backman Daniel Baker started up forward and helped to disrupt the Saints defence in a cameo role. Danger man Clugston was obviously a focus for the Saints defence, but was able to evade his opponents at times to influence proceedings. Also the likes of Hammer Exell, eventual best u21 player on the day Ryan Bell, and the midfield firm of Rentch and Sears provided plenty of drive through the middle, while The Magee boys were once again super-reliable in defence, and Ollie Braithwaite executed his defensive role on the dangerous Cooke-Harrison to perfection. For the big men, 'Noodles' McFarlane was the key focal point across half-forward, and while not the dominant marking player on the day, managed to influence the contests and bring the ball down to the advantage of the Dimmy running players, a vital role that sometimes goes unnoticed. Chilver also provided a crucial role in the ruck and contested situations around the ground, ensuring midfield dominance and was far from quiet.
Interestingly, the best players for the Roos were three sets for brothers, the Exells, Braithwaites & Magees, so it pays to have a sibling around when you are at Dimmy. Makes you wonder if another Clugston might find his way to Dimboola next year? ;)

As for the Saints, Butsch was brilliant in defence and repelled plenty of Roos forward incursions, and without him it would be scary to think how much more Dimboola might have won by. Also midfield / flank types such as Hallam, Knott, Clough and McRae were typically hard-working , while Cameron battled manfully and Watson provided an excellent marking option for the sainters around the ground, and never conceded defeat. Unfortunately, they had the tired look of a team that had played their GF the week before, and were simply overwhelmed by a lean, mean green machine tuned to perfection through hard work and the guidance of Coach Farr, who seems to have the right formula for success.

You

You are just looking for any negatives. Lots of positives from Nhill hosting thier 1st GF too!

When you are selling a product it is all about the consumer. If these things happened and they did as I witnessed them it brings the League into disrepute. Wonderful Nhill hosted their first ever WFL GF but on yesterdays performance lets hope its another 100 years. It is probably the reason why WFL has not paid a distribution to the participating clubs for many a year. I reiterate gold buttons needs to go if WFL is to progress. Many a fringe supporter I have spoke to will not be attending WFL GF next year. What facts do you base you post MrSolodolo?

Couldn't agree more Slenko. Disgrace of a setup. Why let all the cars in? No where to stand and watch. Shocking ground for spectators. Missus was spewing about the toilet setup. Why not have food and grog on both sides?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back